Skip to main content

Plate of Origin

SeanE

I loathe sport on TV...
OK, so I'm watching Masterchef Lite... errr... Plate of Origin, so here's some reflections so far: (in no particular order)
  • What Palace is this show being filmed at? It's huge!
  • There's so much going on in the garden and different parts of the building that its clearly hard for the camera guys. Walls and bits of building keep getting in the way of a clear shot. Masterchef's warehouse is a much more controllable environment.
  • The judges being all "mates" and hamming it up is bloody annoying... hope that goes away fairly fast. (it won't unfortunately...)
  • Nice range of country teams at least.
  • Team China - Mandy basically isn't Chinese (the one in red). She's Aussie-Malay-Chinese, so the connection is tenuous at best.
  • Team Australia - What the hell are they going to cook for the next few weeks? Tonight they've done "Meat and 3 Veg" and a Snot-Block for dessert. What else is there???? Do we cook anything else? I'm sure we're going to have to see a Pavlova and a Lammington at some point and they may have to dig out an old fashioned Peach Melba, but wow, that's about all we've got.
  • Everyone is wasting a hell of a lot of time being happy and excited. Just get on with the damm cooking...!
  • France is obviously being set up to be the BIG BAD for this series. Especially the 'Marquis de Barbe Rouge' guy.
  • Following the MKR model of the other teams being snarky about each other around the dinner table.
  • How will they cook anything is the weather changes? So far it's an alfresco BBQ setup in the garden. Sure this show was filmed months ago at the beginning of the year (no one is social distancing so its pre March at least) but I can't see how they'll do it if the weather shuts in and rains.
  • It's obvious that Team Australia will be one of the top 3, even top 2, at the end. It's an Aussie show... they *have* to be. They won't necessarily win, but just being the Aussie Team gives them the inside run at it.
  • Team China's dessert looks like old Oysters rather than a black mousse... maybe it tastes ok, but it looks meh... (and bleah...)
  • All the girls in all teams are too dressed up and have way too much make-up on to be cooking. They'll have to learn to tone it down and be more practical for the challenges to come (they started out doing the same thing in Masterchef, but everyone quickly learnt that dressing comfortably is more important when cooking)
  • Team India do NOT look like they come from India at all.
  • 10/10 for the Chinese first dish... all the other teams are clapping and going "Yeah... great! We're sooo happy!...*gritted teeth*..."
  • Team Aussie stuffed the potatoes, only 8/10, 9/10 and 9/10.
  • Too many ads Channel 7... They've put a count down in the top right corner of the screen showing you how much longer the ad break will be. I was watching that more than the ad (and trying to make it go faster by sheer force of will)
  • Manu doesn't like the Mousse. (Told you it looks like old oysters)
  • Gary doesn't like the jelly. Matt doesn't like much about it at all... 5/10 from all 3 judges.
  • How biased do you think Manu is going to be towards the French team...? (Lots I think)
  • Manu doesn't like the snot-block 6/10. Matt and Gary like it better.. 6/10 from both though.
  • Team China wins the first round!!!
  • ...and that's it..!? TV schedule said the show goes to 9.00pm but it's 8.30 and the show just cut out and ended with an ad break... ok then. Bye...

cheers
Sean

I watched it because there was nothing else on.
And that was that, it was filler tv.
It's good that they've given it a 3 week time limit so it doesn't drag on forever.

I'm still watching it but I'm not invested at all. I think it will be like Farmer Wants A Wife for me...the last thing on my viewing list.

I watched it because there was nothing else on.
And that was that, it was filler tv.
It's good that they've given it a 3 week time limit so it doesn't drag on forever.

Meglos, I just realised your name is an anagram of golems.

Tonight was just more of the same...

The problem with this show is that it’s a one trick pony. Two teams cook off a (‘nationally inspired’... whatever that means...) dish or two and the judges and rest scoff it down wth some mild criticism and the occasional snarky comment after which everyone scores at least 9/10.

At least Masterchef has its team challenges one night, then a mystery box, then a cook off for elimination, then an immunity challenge up against a top pro chef... Each night is something different even if it does follow a set schedule.

PoO (not the best abbreviation is it?) is already mediocre on night 2.

SMH has really stuck the (carving) knife into it as well:

Last edited:
They think they've found their villain in the arrogant man-bunned beardy French hipster, but it's tame compared to all the other shows.

With ratings falling to 510k and the show coming 4th in its timeslot last night, it's safe to say this show won't make it past the 1st season.

It’s bloody boring isn’t it? I feel almost a sense of sadness for Gary and Matt being forced to do this because of George’s ineptitude running a business - lets be real that’s why they all got the boot.

I struggled through the first ep and haven't bothered with the others yet. Maybe I'll give them a go Friday night (IF there are no re-runs of movies that take my fancy that is ;) ). Yes, it's a shame for Gary and Matt (Manu too really) I like all of them and they deserve a lot better than this tripe.

I'm up to date, but yes it is boring. The judges score too highly, so there's no real tension. Even when the dish is a total write-off it gets a 5, and if it's edible but with faults it gets an 8 or 9.
Let's face it, they'd basically eat anything.

Back