Skip to main content

The day after thoughts.

Did YOU enjoy the 2020 season of Big Brother Australia?

• Yes, This BB was amazing!

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • No, This BB was awful!

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Maybe, This BB was mixed!

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters
Mixed I would say. That such a mediocre season did well for them is a testament to to the lasting power of the show. We can only hope for improvements next season.
If they can improve on the format and draw a bigger audience next year, then it will surely be the first time that a network in Australia has successfully increased viewers in BB in a consecutive year. I would consider that impressive.

Also we need to bear in mind that the time has been ripe for a BB comeback. Survivor did it and it was positive. There is a new generation available that does not have the impressions of all the past negative media and publicity that a lot of us gen X experienced in the early 2000’s in the Howard era. At one point you couldn’t actually talk about watching BB in public or on a newspaper comment section without some jerk saying something negative. Now that problem has been removed and positivity reinforced with Facebook groups and a lot more competing reality shows that are arguably pretty terrible.

Mixed I would say. That such a mediocre season did well for them is a testament to to the lasting power of the show. We can only hope for improvements next season.
That... or a testament to the mediocre expectations of the snowflake generation which now make up the majority of the ratings.

At one point you couldn’t actually talk about watching BB in public or on a newspaper comment section without some jerk saying something negative.
I used to get the 'rolling eyes'... didn't even know what it meant at the time. I do now. :rolleyes:

then it will surely be the first time that a network in Australia has successfully increased viewers in BB in a consecutive year. I would consider that impressive.

2002 increased on 2001, 2003 increased on 2002 and 2006 increased on 2005. So if 2021 sees an increase it won’t be the first time but rather the first time in a long time.

I couldn't see bb with this format ever getting massive ratings like mafs, masterchef etc. It seems like strategy shows in australia don't appeal to most. Sure there is an audience for them with survivor getting solid ratings, but I don't think survivor could ever rate as big as mafs etc.

If love island is filmed live, it makes me wonder why they can't film bb live. Surely love island would be filmed with a tight budget. Surely it wouldn't cost 7 mass amounts to whip up a small studio to film in for live shows aswell, if they really needed to be tight.

Last edited:
Thats a good poiint, the networks havwe plenty of money so cant work out why there so anal over budgets, though the live format may not of worked that well given the covid-19 situation

Thats a good poiint, the networks havwe plenty of money so cant work out why there so anal over budgets, though the live format may not of worked that well given the covid-19 situation

Actually 7 has racked up a huge debt so would be looking to save money wherever possible.

How did they rack up debt? Normally the networks do fairly well ?
[/QUOTE

Buying sport + the Olympics is expensive. Not to mention that most of their shows have flopped in the last 2 years. Their latest drama Between Two Worlds is rating worse than Celebrity Gogglebox USA over on Ten and that cost millions of dollars to make.

They are in debt of 541.5 million for the last 6 months.

It would be interesting to know the man hours spent on this show. From the comment in the other thread about them spending 90 minutes filming the car interviews to get 20 seconds of footage I suspect the reason the show appears to be so over-edited is because it is. Rather than having to turn it around in a day the production and editing team are probably spending days manipulating the footage to within an inch of it's life, with some therefore ending up employed for twice as long as the show runs, and others who may only come on board once filming is complete (to edit the show) spending just as long, if not longer, working on the show than they would if it was transmitted live.

It would be interesting to know the man hours spent on this show. From the comment in the other thread about them spending 90 minutes filming the car interviews to get 20 seconds of footage I suspect the reason the show appears to be so over-edited is because it is. Rather than having to turn it around in a day the production and editing team are probably spending days manipulating the footage to within an inch of it's life, with some therefore ending up employed for twice as long as the show runs, and others who may only come on board once filming is complete (to edit the show) spending just as long, if not longer, working on the show than they would if it was transmitted live.

Im presumig both the Nine and Ten network didn't have a problem with funds when they broadcasted BB live.

Im presumig both the Nine and Ten network didn't have a problem with funds when they broadcasted BB live.
You presume wrong. Aussie commercial networks seem to be frequently on the brink, with Nine being close to administration back in 2012 when they launched Big Brother and Ten being heavily in debt in it's later years of airing Big Brother, being sold the year after by Canwest after years of trying to off-load it.

You presume wrong. Aussie commercial networks seem to be frequently on the brink, with Nine being close to administration back in 2012 when they launched Big Brother and Ten being heavily in debt in it's later years of airing Big Brother, being sold the year after by Canwest after years of trying to off-load it.

It’s not just Aussie networks... Commercial TV the world over is dying a slow and painful death.

From what i understand, at least Channel 7 Have taken onboard 2 of our fan suggestions for their next BB series.

1) Have a games arena that is connected to the main house.
2) Have a longer series that allows us more time to enjoy it.

From what i understand, at least Channel 7 Have taken onboard 2 of our fan suggestions for their next BB series.

1) Have a games arena that is connected to the main house.
2) Have a longer series that allows us more time to enjoy it.
Neither of these are confirmed at this point, merely speculated.

Back