Skip to main content

Big Brother 2021 confirmed (recording late 2020)

Think we can pencil in it launching the Monday after the Aussie Open Final - or against it if Seven want to try and jump start on MAFS.

For next year I think Sonia needs to be given more freedom, when she’s not just reading off an auto cue, I actually like her.

One bad quality she has is I don’t think she can think on her feet and when housemates come back at her with bitchy comments she doesn’t know how to act, whether that’s on her end or because she’s being told to strictly stick to the auto cue, something needs to change. The good thing with Gretel was she always knew what to say and how to handle herself. God knows how it were to go down if a live eviction blackout happened with Sonia.

When housemates respond to her with bitchy/witty remarks, that should be her cue to showcase whatever personality she has. I also want more devious and sneaky questions from her, sad thing is I don’t think she suits the role to do it, but I don’t want to hear ‘how did it feel when you won the challenge?’. I want to hear questions like ‘why do you think x betrayed you this week?’, ‘could you see yourself working with them in the future?’, ‘x why did you turn your back on x this week?’. ‘X do you think x has been playing a sneaky game?’

Don’t know if putting it in February is the best idea but we shall see. Obviously TV execs know what they are doing.

Married At First Sight is a powerhouse at that time. Australian Survivor did very well in that slot this year. If 10 can get a new season of Survivor filmed by the end of the year I say they will use that February slot for it. I think if COVID-19 didn’t happen 10 would have started doing 2 seasons a year of Survivor (February and August) anyway.

Amazing Race auditions were recently opened. I wonder if Survivor doesn’t happen then 10 has that as a back up to delay for next year? That would make it easier for BB to compete. I don’t know how a Big Brother vs. Survivor rating battle would go. They are so similar. Survivor is a few seasons in and has got a rhythm and fan base going. Surely that would perform better than BB. (and Survivor seems like a superior product anyway)

I wonder if 10 will try pit Masterchef against mafs. Probably even the Masterchef junior that they are doing..

Australian Survivor did very well in that slot this year
ummm Survivor was well down in that slot compared to the previous year. Significantly down.

Average overnight dropped from 747,833 to 642,292. That's a 14% drop.

Untitled-1.jpg

Oh ok. I thought Survivor held its own against the competition of Married At First Sight and was up in ratings for 10 in that same time (February) slot from the previous year.
Well I don't track MAFS. Had they not planned on doing a now-abandoned second season of Survivor this year and and held All Stars over until its usual schedule it would probably have rated its socks off. But they'd have needed a crystal ball to predict how this year would pan out, and wouldn't have taped All Stars when they did. So it's all hypothetical really as we'd have ended up with no Survivor at all.

ummm Survivor was well down in that slot compared to the previous year. Significantly down.

Average overnight dropped from 747,833 to 642,292. That's a 14% drop.

View attachment 55701

It was up on the timeslot average and was the first time it was airing in that time period so not a fair comparison. Even in the US, the February season of Survivor is lower rated than the September one. It was also very competitive in the demos. That's what the networks really care about.

It was up on the timeslot average and was the first time it was airing in that time period so not a fair comparison. Even in the US, the February season of Survivor is lower rated than the September one. It was also very competitive in the demos. That's what the networks really care about.
We're discussing BB airing in a February(?) slot, so it's relevant how it would potentially rate lower at that time of year. Survivor All Stars is a perfect example of how it could fare.

Now that I think of it, I’m not sure if MAFS will be able to go ahead at the same time of year due to COVID-19 restrictions.
it would need a massive overhaul at the very least...
Fingers crossed it fails to find a solution hahah

Fingers crossed it fails to find a solution hahah
Haha.

But I do think Seven will stretch BB out next year because all the networks will be lacking in new content from being unable to produce anything for so long. If it's in non-AFL season it could air 4-5 nights a week and not have evictions every fucking night.

We're discussing BB airing in a February(?) slot, so it's relevant how it would potentially rate lower at that time of year. Survivor All Stars is a perfect example of how it could fare.
To his point, capturing % demo is arguably more important than static ratings because it influences ad and sponsorship rates, and there's more $$$ to be made at the start of the rating year. Now, assuming MKR and House Rules are gone for good, this is Seven's tentpole series and it makes sense for them to capitalise while the iron is hot.

Back