Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020: House

I really don't like this. I know some people disagree but part of what makes Big Brother Big Brother to me is that you can almost forget you are being filmed. Things like this, as well as the increased number of cameras that physically spin to follow the housemates, are little reminders that you are being actively filmed.
Well, apparently the HMs had occasional contact with producers and cameramen were regularly on site (pariculary in all the Basement challenges) so I think that got thrown out the window a while ago.

That one in the second shot is the second bedroom and its actually a purple piece of cloth because seven/endemol were too cheap to put in glass. Just like in the bedroom the "black" you see if black cloth so the camera can just poke between it.

Really frustrates me how they didn't put glass in some of these runs. Any black you see is cloth.(even can been seenin the backyard, the side runs are all cloth and on Wednesday ep you saw a cameraman's hand at one point .

Noticed in last night's episode that the other bedroom is through the curtain, not camera run, which confirms that I was right lmaoooo

Well, apparently the HMs had occasional contact with producers and cameramen were regularly on site (pariculary in all the Basement challenges) so I think that got thrown out the window a while ago.

But even in Friday Night Games during the channel ten era there were camermen in the arena filming near housemates.

Noticed in last night's episode that the other bedroom is through the curtain, not camera run, which confirms that I was right lmaoooo
Yep you were correct on the purple cloth it’s been taken down and it’s got a remote camera sitting between the two bedrooms . However the black curtains are camera runs where there are no glass as I mentioned earlier.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-16-at-3-21-01-pm.png

Screen-Shot-2020-06-16-at-3-24-39-pm.png

They only see the lens, not the face of the person operating the cameras through the hatches. There’s 2 pieces of black fabric - one with a horizontal slit and one with a vertical slit to create a anus of sorts for the lens to pop through. Then they close the shutters in the backyard and rely on remote cameras when there’s nothing too important happening in production’s eyes

Really smart imo - it allows for far better cameras to be used and for a higher quality viewing experience all round. The mirrors were always so distracting.

Thank fuck they’re finally admitting to themselves they’re making a television show and stopped pussyfooting around a 20 year old format that was conceptualised when people weren’t as wired and still had reservations around reality television.

They only see the lens, not the face of the person operating the cameras through the hatches. There’s 2 pieces of black fabric - one with a horizontal slit and one with a vertical slit to create a anus of sorts for the lens to pop through. Then they close the shutters in the backyard and rely on remote cameras when there’s nothing too important happening in production’s eyes

Really smart imo - it allows for far better cameras to be used and for a higher quality viewing experience all round. The mirrors were always so distracting.

Thank fuck they’re finally admitting to themselves they’re making a television show and stopped pussyfooting around a 20 year old format that was conceptualised when people weren’t as wired and still had reservations around reality television.

If it’s so much better to be point of being the preferred option why aren’t they using it in the whole house?

If it’s so much better to be point of being the preferred option why aren’t they using it in the whole house?
Probably because there’s fuck all space in the camera runs this time and the backyard has way more space to film into. Duh..

Isn't it funny how the Basement has floor-to-ceiling glass windows...

P.S. I know it physically isn't. But why call it that and not make it look like one? lol

Last edited:
An official house plan, including all the production areas and camera runs, would be so fucking good. I wanna see how they use that third shed. Am prepared to spam the official twitter account until it gets passed along somehow

I still think most the mirrors are there largely for asthetics rather than functionality - Endemol no longer specify the use of camera runs in Big Brother as remote cameras have come on so much. I suspect too where they are used they'd be remote cameras rather than cameramen behind them.

Anyhow, one effect I've noticed of the mirrors that I like is in the green room either side of the door does look like two eyes looking at you, similar to the Masked Singer logo. Actually think that green room would be better used for both the nominations and evictions - forces the housemates to site really closely together looking at each other.

I really don't like this. I know some people disagree but part of what makes Big Brother Big Brother to me is that you can almost forget you are being filmed. Things like this, as well as the increased number of cameras that physically spin to follow the housemates, are little reminders that you are being actively filmed.
That was originally the case but I really think by now they totally know they are being filmed. And that it is a game/competition - especially with this format allowing the strategy conversations.

That was originally the case but I really think by now they totally know they are being filmed. And that it is a game/competition - especially with this format allowing the strategy conversations.

It was an interesting idea that added to the social experiment when it was first implemented however is kind of irrelevant years on. There was equally just as much acting towards the mirrors as there ever was to the physical cameras... At the end of the day I don’t think it matters...

And Australia was I think the only version that ditched in-house cameras. Many other versions took the view it was important that housemates actually remembered they were being filmed by the presence of the cameras, though I think either way within a few days they just become part of the furniture.

Frankly now we're all potentially being filmed at any time anyway.

Anyhow, one effect I've noticed of the mirrors that I like is in the green room either side of the door does look like two eyes looking at you, similar to the Masked Singer logo. Actually think that green room would be better used for both the nominations and evictions - forces the housemates to site really closely together looking at each other.
Yeah I have thought this as well. The eviction room seems pointless, apart from it being right next to the DR. Eviction show might not be live any more but it would speed up taping of it without them all having to traipse down the hall. But yes, the green room would have been perfect for it.

It's going be hard to really change this house around very much in (potential) future seasons. There's always going to have to be the hallway connecting the two sheds, the main living area is always going to have to be where it is to connect to the backyard, etc. The fundamental layout of the house is pretty much the only way it could be.

If the show is going to be renewed, I feel like another purpose build house would be a good investment for 7

It's going be hard to really change this house around very much in (potential) future seasons. There's always going to have to be the hallway connecting the two sheds, the main living area is always going to have to be where it is to connect to the backyard, etc. The fundamental layout of the house is pretty much the only way it could be.

If the show is going to be renewed, I feel like another purpose build house would be a good investment for 7
Not necessarily. They can build between the sheds with rooms than corridors. Although I’d hope next year with more money they would do a better job then they did with the bathroom this year cause that’s shocking.

Back