Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

Does that mean it will completely air pre olympics (i.e April-July against Masterchef?) or does it simply mean it will launch before the olympics?

Got the impression it might air before the Olympics but defo still be pre-recorded. The best hope is for My Kitchen Rules or House Rules to absolutely flop so they have to bring the show forward. I think the changes to both series are more likely to kill it off than to revive it, and sadly the same goes for Big Brother too - and the US format will wrongly be blamed for that.

I’d love to sit down with this production team/executives at Seven and explain just how much these revival plans are a wasted opportunity. It’s clear they are absolutely clueless...
Agreed. They are just as clueless as the old dinosaurs still running and calling the shots at the network. 7 wreaks of outdated everywhere you look.

7 are still editing lesbian kisses out of Home and Away - that's how outdated they are.

On paper 7 should be a much better fit than 10 and historically they've done big shows pretty well - but they are just messing up a real opportunity to reinvent a classic brand at the moment.

You'd think they'd be very careful in making sure that the show would be a success, I mean what would be the point in bringing it back and investing the time and money into the production only to have it flop? Surely Endemol Shine would know what the viewers want. In saying that, times have changed and brands do eventually need a refresh, but not in a sense that's going to completely take away the core values of the originals. If it does flop, I don't think it has a future on any other network. As much as I'd love to see it back on 10. Has there been any promos at all? I hardly watch 7 😂

Surely Endemol Shine would know what the viewers want
I wouldn't count on that. When the revival was announced, it was said that Endemol Shine was the one that came up with the new format and pitched it to Seven. They obviously knew it would only get picked up after being cancelled twice if they could deliver the show on a much smaller budget, when meant axing the live shows.

Endemol have pitched a show Seven would want, rather than the viewers. Sadly in television the networks usually want more of the same - clones of other hits. The viewers usually want something different.

Endemol have pitched a show Seven would want, rather than the viewers. Sadly in television the networks usually want more of the same - clones of other hits. The viewers usually want something different.

The only reason networks put out more of the same is because viewers want more of the same.

I think AU FreeToAir networks are scraping the bottom of the barrel with their ratings figures these days. So going for 'more of the same' will never improve their numbers.

The only thing that will is the new ratings system launching this year, IIRC

the new ratings system launching this year
Last time they changed system (to OzTAM), Nine and Seven kicked up a stink and had it "adjusted" because Ten was suddenly rating higher than it had been previously. In reality, it was probably more accurate though, but we can't have that, apparently.

With how completely shit MKR has been rating this year, I don't think that's going to help their revenue problems. This new CEO seems far too optimistic to the point that it's affecting his common sense, the network is still clearly out out touch - Rebel Wilson making an ED joke in the new pooch perfect ads is a clear example of that. What's the bet they're prefilming just so it's easier for them to axe Big Brother ASAP if it fails to deliver that complete bullshit 80% time slot growth prediction.

What's the bet they're prefilming just so it's easier for them to axe Big Brother ASAP if it fails to deliver that complete bullshit 80% time slot growth prediction.

That's a hefty investment just to run the show in to the ground... That said you're on to something in saying that the powers that be at Seven are completely delusional if they think their grand plan for BB is a smart move.

Last edited:
Back