Skip to main content

The Circle on Netflix

OK I relented and signed up to Netflix. Just watched eps 5 & 6. When they showed the results of the ratings I found myself wondering if I'd passed out for a bit and missed them actually rating each other? There was a bit in there where it buffered fo a moment so maybe it skipped some because I wasn't even clear where ep 5 ended and ep 6 began.

Yip. They dropped at 7pm AEDT yesterday.

From what I've seen, this week's episodes haven't been ripped from Netflix and spread across the internet yet. Last week it happened within ten minutes of being officially released.

They are available now, but it took over 36 hours this time.

Overall I think it's ok. It doesn't beat the original year of this. For example the guy pretending to be his girlfriend simply doesn't compete with Kate, partly because I feel I hardly know him. Sammie somehow reminds me a bit of Georgina. Chis is a toned down Freddie, Shubham is made out to be an innocent, but he's not competing with Dan. Actually when Shubham, Rebecca and Sammie were complaining about the newbies flirting I felt like laughing as they obviously know that's part of the game. Joey does bring something new, as it feels there's something very American (or a very particular kind of American I mean) to him. I don't like everything about him but that's ok as it's mainly about whether he works well on a reality show.

I wish they had been a bit more daring, maybe they will be yet but I don't think the fake identities have really even gone as far as the original version did, let alone gone further.

Joey does bring something new, as it feels there's something very American (or a very particular kind of American I mean) to him.

OMG he is such a cliche!

I wish they had been a bit more daring, maybe they will be yet but I don't think the fake identities have really even gone as far as the original version did, let alone gone further.

Kate went in with a carefully crafted persona and comprehensive notes and a plan, while these guys are just winging it, without having seen the UK version. I think if there's a second US season we'll see an upgrade in the level of sophistication of the catfishes. Anyway one of the new players could yet step things up. I haven't watched eps 7/8 yet.

I kinda miss them having pets but quarantine restrictions probably preclude that.

Kate went in with a carefully crafted persona and comprehensive notes and a plan, while these guys are just winging it, without having seen the UK version. I think if there's a second US season we'll see an upgrade in the level of sophistication of the catfishes.

Some may have seen the UK version, and obviously the producers have been very influenced by that in what catfishes to try and games to play. Kate and Sammy have been the only ones who have been meant to be serious catfishes so far.

The Netflix version doesn't really go as deep into the characters for me, for example no debates on potentially controversial topics like the original version sometimes has. We are due another debate game, I only remember one so far in this (which only included peeing in the shower and something else).

The producers seemed to want to follow a hunt the catfishes approach last year as this is following the same theme as last time, Shubham sounding like Luke/Tim. Yet the theme of the 2018 original was that Kate and Dan got along and not really just because of the fake image.

Last edited:
Still noting the British music. Yazoo (i.e. Alison Moyet) song in ep 7. Wonder why they have done that?

Wasn't 80s music used on the original version too?
You're missing the point. They're playing obviously British music on a show that's aimed at an American audience (of which the majority will have no idea it was taped in the UK). So it's either a sly nod to its location, or maybe there's some licencing deal for the music? It just seems a bit weird and incongruous.

The show is edited by the same team as the UK show - so it’s completely possible they’re just assembling the show as if it were going to be broadcast on Channel 4.

The show is edited by the same team as the UK show - so it’s completely possible they’re just assembling the show as if it were going to be broadcast on Channel 4.
If that's so, they're probably being deliberately cheeky... so it will be interesting to see if this changes in the second season if it eventuates.

British music was quite popular in the US, certainly in the early-mid 80s and helped define the period, so they probably don't mind. The French and Brazilian versions may be a different matter, while they will know some of the music as it was global the whole show is in a different language. I don't expect them to change the format though, the US version really kept everything the same.

At least as interesting a point is why use retro music. CH5 deliberately wanted to move away from the original Big Brother audience, maybe with The Circle CH4 hoped to get some of that older audience back, though 80s pop still seems popular and influential to a degree.

LOVING The Circle on Netflix! It keeps me guessing and the format is a great with the vibe that I love about Big Brother.

I'm keen to watch the UK version but haven't been able to find full episodes anywhere. Any ideas? Cheers

As much as I hate to sit and watch four hours of the same show I just did it so I wouldn't get spoiled (on Twitter in particular).

Winner wasn't who I expected. But that's all I'll say for now.

I enjoyed the first two sets of episodes... this final one fell a little flat though. Everything seemed to end in a disappointment.

The Instant Block was always going to be Bill. Adam and Sean were always going to end up in 6th and 7th because of the bond the original entrants had towards each other. The Super Influencer elimination was wasted. Tammy was present but contributed nothing. The finale was awkward to watch with the fake audience sound effects added in (there was clearly no crowd present at all).

Even the winner was disappointing because it could be seen coming from a mile away.

The finale was awkward to watch with the fake audience sound effects added in (there was clearly no crowd present at all).

Yeah that was obvious. Although we did have the benefit of knowing the show was taped months ago and unless it was made up purely of crew, any audience would have no idea who any of the contestants were.

Even the winner was disappointing because it could be seen coming from a mile away.
It was always going to be one of two, but I expected the other to take it out, TBH.

The show got a good reception on Twitter, left people wanting another season.

Also you mentioned Tammy. She was completely redundant. Ed kept shutting down her suggestions. Poorly cast as a pair IMO.

Also you mentioned Tammy. She was completely redundant. Ed kept shutting down her suggestions. Poorly cast as a pair IMO.
I'm guessing that's why they decided to try the idea again in the UK show last year, but they weren't even voted in to be given a chance.

any idea where I can see the last few episodes? Cant find any after episode 8

I couldn't until the weekend, nobody bothered to rip it for those blocked from the Netflix version (such as UK I think), so I assume there is little interest in America. I'll send you a PM in case you haven't seen it yet, some Chinese people were helpful providing a version.

From what I've seen those who have watched it in the US generally appreciated it and thought it was a decent format, but not many fans of the way Netflix distributed it.

not many fans of the way Netflix distributed it.
Personally I think it should be dropped daily because with the four-episode drops, you can't discuss what you're watching without running the risk of seeing (or posting) spoilers. And I really don't like to binge watch a show for four hours, I prefer variety in my viewing. It gets tiring!

Is this the first-time that Netflix has ever drip fed one of their own shows? It's the first one I'm aware of - other than shows that were constantly in production like that Chelsea Handler show a few years back.

Back