Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2019) - Episode 12 Discussion

Prove me wrong 10 and give me a shock exit. One of the Champs. Restitution for ruining Harry's last great effort with that shitty Shaun steal.

They failed to deliver on that one.
Matt, as one of the two on the outer, and the only one they'd go for if they decided to split onto anyone other than Harry, is the opposite to a shock. Matty Mark isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and even he knew his Funky Bunch was gone ("Matt not safe").

I thought that when Matt indicated he was worried it might have given a clue Harry has an idol. But splitting the votes was an obvious move anyway, the edit didn't show us it to try and create suspense.

Yes, Matt put his foot in it there, he should have pretended he thought it would be Harry.
Janine and Pia definitely picked up on it and probably decided to split the votes then.

Godmother used her idol and her name wasn't even written. Lol.

And if Pia had any sense she would have realised then that Janine will not protect her. She isn't a shark for nothing.
I expected Janine to play it for Pia, but of course it was "for myself".

Baden just posted on reddit that he knew Andy was throwing the challenge. However he didn't go along for it for a couple of reasons:

- the majority of the tribe never agreed to it. and Baden didn't feel comfortable without that happening.

- Andy only confirmed it with mere moments before the challenge.

- He didn't fully trust Andy. Especially after previous tribals.

Magnificent Harry.

Ross and Simon are idiots for not flipping. The revote was their way out of an uneven alliance, but sportspeople have this ridiculous notion of loyalty and being a team player.
How is loyalty a ridiculous notion, when playing the loyalty card contributed signifcantly to getting Shane Gould into the final with the criminal barrister, Sharn, and then to Shane Gould's win?

Shane won by heavily playing the integrity and loyalty card against the barrister who made fatal errors of judgement and was caught out for her own disloyalty.

I mean, she won it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great episode with a not so great result - gets boring when an alliance dominates and the Contenders really should have been working on Ross and Simon from the minute they arrived.

I didn't see the logic in Harry publicly appealing to Ross and Simon during tribal unless he'd been tipped off beforehand they wouldn't flip. Matt should possibly have put some work in for himself too rather than putting all the eggs in Harry's basket to ensure at least one Champion along with himself threw a vote another way to prevent him going home if Harry had an idol. I'd actually say as of now socially Ross is the biggest threat in the game.

Couple more points - we should reach the half way point on Tuesday and possibly merge, though if the scheduling was planned during filming I suspect that'll come Sunday so they can promote it all week.

And a production question - does Jonathan know who has an Idol during the Tribals or does he only find out when it's played?

Ross and Simon are idiots for not flipping.
This was the moment that confirmed Simon isn't playing to win and is pretty much a total waste of space. Who goes on Survivor to play second fiddle to Janine and her minions?

Pia is going to get to the end and use the "I used Janine as a shield" bluff when she's done exactly zero apart from join a Girl Power group.

How is loyalty a ridiculous notion, when playing the loyalty card contributed signifcantly to getting Shane Gould into the final with the criminal barrister, Sharn, and then to Shane Gould's win?

Shane won by heavily playing the integrity and loyalty card against the barrister who made fatal errors of judgement and was caught out for her own disloyalty.

I mean, she won it.

That worked for Shane.
It almost certainly won't work for Simon & Ross, who are at best an alliance of two once the Champions have to start pickling off each other.

I feel that the alliance of Abbey, Janine, and Pia is not as impenetrable as Harry thinks it is. Abbey comes across as an emotional and mentally soft player that could be flipped.

Harry could never flip her, but someone like David could when the time comes for the champions to turn on each other.

we should reach the half way point on Tuesday and possibly merge, though if the scheduling was planned during filming I suspect that'll come Sunday so they can promote it all week.
If it doesn't happen on Tuesday it'll bugger up one of the tips... but I doubt they will have sorted out the schedule when they filmed the season (i.e. how long it would continue to air at three nights a week).

Anyway, the guide suggests a food auction, which I think last year preceded the merge.

That worked for Shane.
It almost certainly won't work for Simon & Ross, who are at best an alliance of two once the Champions have to start pickling off each other.
But your post generalised that loyalty is a ridiculous notion held by sportspeople....it's not.. it's an effective strategy in the right circumstances, as are other strategies in other circumstances.

And Ross is an individual, non-team sportsman and wildcard likely strongly aligned to himself and just playing along, temporarily....

Ross would be a hilarious winner at this point. That he's my sweep has nothing to do with it. That he hasn't been voted out with his snoring issues shows his social game otherwise must be on point.

But your post generalised that loyalty is a ridiculous notion held by sportspeople....it's not.. it's an effective strategy in the right circumstances, as are other strategies in other circumstances.

And Ross is an individual, non-team sportsman and wildcard likely strongly aligned to himself and just playing along, temporarily....

OK, less generally, loyalty in sportspeople is a ridiculous notion in the game of Survivor, which is obviously what I was referring to anyway, and nothing to do with real life. It's like when I (and others) say that letters/visits from home are a boring. Obviously that means in the game, not on a personal level, where it would be very touching in real life.

I think loyalty is only good in Survivor if you are on top of your alliance. Clearly Ross and Simon are on the bottom, so unless they start making moves, they'll be cut off from the game soon.

OK, less generally, loyalty in sportspeople is a ridiculous notion in the game of Survivor, which is obviously what I was referring to anyway, and nothing to do with real life. It's like when I (and others) say that letters/visits from home are a boring. Obviously that means in the game, not on a personal level, where it would be very touching in real life.
I'm not sure where I suggested anything about real life. My posts were referring to Survivor all along, and the statement in your post was generalised to sports people.

Loyalty isn't a ridculous notion held by sportspeople in Survivor...it has proven to be a significant contributor to a winning strategy on Australian Survivor in reality.

That non-sporty TV viewers might enjoy lampooning sports people, and the ones who appear on reality TV, is another issue. 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where I suggested anything about real life. My posts were referring to Survivor all along, and the statement in your post was generalised to sports people.

Loyalty isn't a ridculous notion held by sportspeople in Survivor...it has proven to be a significant contributor to a winning strategy on Australian Survivor in reality.

That non-sporty TV viewers might enjoy lampooning sports people, and those who appear on reality TV...is another issue. 😆

Sports people in this season of Survivor, which is what we were talking about all along, do seem to be "loyal" to each other based solely on the premise that they are sportspeople and so need to stick together, even when other options present themselves. There is an inflexibility there which may be their downfall.
They are not all like that. Shaun is playing a different game, but I am referring to a specific alliance of 5.

I am entitled to this opinion and you are entitled to yours, I don't know why you are arguing the point really.

Sports people in this season of Survivor, which is what we were talking about all along, do seem to be "loyal" to each other based solely on the premise that they are sportspeople and so need to stick together, even when other options present themselves. There is an inflexibility there which may be their downfall.
They are not all like that. Shaun is playing a different game, but I am referring to a specific alliance of 5.

I am entitled to this opinion and you are entitled to yours, I don't know why you are arguing the point really.
Well it does takes two to tango, Meglos.

Your post was clearly generalised to sportspeople as a group and non-explicit, whilst even referencing teamwork when surfers are individual sports people.

There was also prior 'discussion' on the value of loyalty in Survivor in general - not limited to this year...which you must have been aware of/read given you liked one of posts relating to it directly.
Ross and Simon are idiots for not flipping. The revote was their way out of an uneven alliance, but sportspeople have this ridiculous notion of loyalty and being a team player.
Loyalty simply isn't a ridiculous notion in certain circumstances and has proven successful to winning Survivor.... that isn't my opinion, it's written in history.

I disagree that Ross is fully playing the game you describe above anyway... being the flexible surfer (read: wildcard) he is, I doubt loyalty is as much a centre of gravity for him, as your post seems to suggest. Although, you used the term alliance very thinly, so perhaps we might agree that Ross barely has an alliance.

I think he's been biding his time, and will get on his board very soon, to hitch a ride on the next wave....or tsunami.

Back