Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2019) - Episode 5 Discussion

It amazes me how compared to last year, how many more people on the champions tribe year are from sporting backgrounds compared to last year, and just how poorly this tribe is doing in immunity challenges. I'm hoping the people like ET, Simon and Bradbury are voted out. I'm sick of this self entitled sporting stars thinking survivor is purely based of challenges and being the physical alpha player.

The challenges are very physical this season, Steve was just telling the truth at tribal. And as said earlier on in the thread him forming an alliance early on is what you are supposed to do on Survivor.

Last edited:
Whilst Steve's strategy to form an alliance early might have been sound, the problem was that he didn't have the personality or the social nous to make it work properly. Plus he was a on tribe with Luke and Ross, both who would bristle against that type of survivor play making.

I always believe that you need a certain type of personality to win survivor, and Steve definitely did not have that. Still, that doesn't make him to be a bad person or whatever.

Gad Steve is gone so I can get my first lot of boot out points.
Why the hell was ET telling Abbey how to kick the football?
So David might be good at art and crafts but it made no sense to me why he would create a fake idol other than to tick "make a fake idol on Survivor" off his bucket list. Instead of forging a relationship with Shaun he will now be making an enemy and Janine's idol is no good to anyone come merge. Unless Janine is going to try and be the one who gets swapped over to the Contenders tribe?

Whilst Steve's strategy to form an alliance early might have been sound, the problem was that he didn't have the personality or the social nous to make it work properly. Plus he was a on tribe with Luke and Ross, both who would bristle against that type of survivor play making.

I always believe that you need a certain type of personality to win survivor, and Steve definitely did not have that. Still, that doesn't make him to be a bad person or whatever.

I think Luke would have liked an early alliance if he'd been in it. Steve could have had more social nous, but at the same time I haven't seen someone on Survivor react how Abbey did. On Big Brother sure, but on the US Survivor I don't remember someone going off crying just because someone said their strategy was weak. David actually looks far more controlling than Steve was, Steve's strategy was to let ET take the lead. After the two blindsiding him he should have thought more carefully about his next move rather than complaining.

I'm still not sure how much they are helping themselves though, I wouldn't be surprised at their numbers declining even more before merge or a switch. I'm not sure how strong Ross's position in particular is now. His cooking obviously isn't that good, maybe it would have been a good idea to keep Anastasia for cooking and her strength. Nova was behind that move, but she didn't last much longer anyway. Maybe they just aren't thinking enough about the longer term.

I am a little confused with this Janine/Shaun/David Idol situation. So my understanding is Shaun was given the fake idol, David has Janine's idol and Shauns idol was given to Janine by David, so that he can have the offical champions idol? But does this mean Janine's idol cannot be used by her as it can only be played by a contender? Or does David have the contender idol and does Janine have the proper idol. I am very much confused and I think I missed something in last nights episode?

I am a little confused with this Janine/Shaun/David Idol situation. So my understanding is Shaun was given the fake idol, David has Janine's idol and Shauns idol was given to Janine by David, so that he can have the offical champions idol? But does this mean Janine's idol cannot be used by her as it can only be played by a contender? Or does David have the contender idol and does Janine have the proper idol. I am very much confused and I think I missed something in last nights episode?
Ok, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Janine still has the Contenders idol. She can't use it. Only a Contender can use it. She could only use it if there was a tribe swap and she became a Contender.
David made a fake idol. He gave the fake idol to Shuan who gave David the Champions idol.
So Shaun has the fake idol. David has the Champions idol and Janine has the Contenders idol

Ok, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Janine still has the Contenders idol. She can't use it. Only a Contender can use it. She could only use it if there was a tribe swap and she became a Contender.
David made a fake idol. He gave the fake idol to Shuan who gave David the Champions idol.
So Shaun has the fake idol. David has the Champions idol and Janine has the Contenders idol

Thats how I initially thought of it as well. A bit confusing for my liking but still an interesting twist. Annoying though because I like Shaun and Janine, however well played by David.

Would be pretty funny though if a tribe swap occurs soon and David and Janine both become contenders. Would be a massive slap in the face to him.

Would be pretty funny though if a tribe swap occurs soon and David and Janine both become contenders. Would be a massive slap in the face to him.
And to add the icing to the cake if Shaun then plays his fake idol for David and David went home that would be television gold!

Reading through these threads I think we're all on pretty much the same page, though the fact people mention names of contestants and I can't even picture them just reiterates that 24 is far too many to start the show with. Great though we're not getting to know the Contenders as they're not going to tribal.

As for Steve - he had to go but his biggest failure was not being able to adapt. He clung on to the Day 1 alliance when it was dead in the water and rather than looking for a path forward he tried to reform something that was never going to work. Yes, he may have been blindsided if he'd just simply tried to jump over, but there was also potential there to form something new with people from both sides. Indeed you would think the new power alliance would begin turning on each other sooner rather than later - Ross seems to be the weakest player if they go down that route whilst David has positioned himself for a blindside, probably as he wants to play his idol. Will be pissed off it that is the play that sends Luke home.

Seems inevitable a tribe swap will happen though - in a way that always spoils things as it just makes the people who swap the names that come up at Tribal Council. Although the show would always want more balanced tribes I'd actually love to see them continue as they are until the merge, whatever the numbers. If the Champions got down to 4 or 5 whilst the Contenders still have 10-11 rather than swapping just split that tribe to even the numbers instead.

Back