Skip to main content

Gogglebox Australia

Yeah not the first time we've seen Faye getting the irrits with Anastasia. I hope they're out next season. But with new talent (and a lesser focus on stripped reality) the show can be redeemed. I'm not giving up yet.

Yeah there is potential, they just need to change some of the families. Maybe a real old couple to replace the Silberrys (not bogan like Lee & Keith or posh like Mick & Di, just funny & normal). Swap some of the families, and if kids have to be involved then get more typical, funnier ones.
And they need someone with a cat, it's always been very dog-centric.

They also need to stop with the obscure shows that no one watches, or decades old movies that no one would be watching on tv.

They also need to stop with the obscure shows that no one watches, or decades old movies that no one would be watching on tv.
The old movies are sometimes funny because the younger ones have never seen them before, so you can get some good reactions. As for the obscure shows, sometimes (rarely) I have actually been inspired to watch some shows I haven't watched before. I actually wish I could be inspired more!

I suppose they don't watch dramas such as How to get Away with Murder, or Manifest, because the storylines are too convoluted to understand what the hell is going on in any single episode. Probably isn't easy for them to do the show selection. They probably even have to consider shows from every network + Foxtel (so they can't be accused of favouritism), then a mix of entertainment, news/doco, movie, reality, sport. There's probably a science in there but they still end up depending too heavily on stripped crap. But then 7/9/10 do depend too heavily on that so maybe that's where we end up.

The old movies are sometimes funny because the younger ones have never seen them before, so you can get some good reactions. As for the obscure shows, sometimes (rarely) I have actually been inspired to watch some shows I haven't watched before. I actually wish I could be inspired more!

I suppose they don't watch dramas such as How to get Away with Murder, or Manifest, because the storylines are too convoluted to understand what the hell is going on in any single episode. Probably isn't easy for them to do the show selection. They probably even have to consider shows from every network + Foxtel (so they can't be accused of favouritism), then a mix of entertainment, news/doco, movie, reality, sport. There's probably a science in there but they still end up depending too heavily on stripped crap. But then 7/9/10 do depend too heavily on that so maybe that's where we end up.

I wonder if they actually watch a full episode of anything, or just a highlights package. They always seem to comment on the exact same scenes.
I agree that they need a bit of diversity, including shows from SBS or whatever. The barrage of reality shows may annoy people who don't watch them (for me I tune out at any "next top model" or "Bear Grylls" type programming), but they probably reflect what "most" people are watching.

I'd like them to watch Naked and Afraid and Adam in Search of Eve (whatever it's called). The latter is on SBS Viceland, and the former is possibly on Foxtel (excellent show with naked people in the wilderness/rainforest getting sunburnt and/or eaten alive by mozzies while trying to survive and foraging for food for 2-3 weeks).

Reactions: kxk
I've seen bits of those, and the dating naked shows. I can't remember which were censored, but some were, and others were full nudity. Anastacia would probably say that it should be her.

Im pretty sure there is a set metric as to what they watch. At a stab Id say that its largely derived and decided from past ratings, a heavy bias on reality shows, foxtel stuff and one-off event programs. e.g election, news specials etc.
Just have the feeling its running out of legs no matter what they do. They can introduce new people but these will all be lined with their own shtick and repetition is whats killing it imo. For a show thats supposed to feel fresh and up to date with the weekly viewing choices and commentary there is that nagging cloud of "same same" every week.

Watching them watching Naked Attraction would be very interesting to watch. I remember when I first stumbled upon it when I was flicking through the channels - I was 😮 - stunned to say the least.

I agree, someone with a cat would be a nice change.

I watched Gogglebox last night on Foxtel, I fast forwarded most of it.

I just knew what they would do & say.

I still like it,but it clashes with part 2 of One nation's skullduggery.......and that is unmissable, freakin awesome last night
Loop heads, especially in Queensland may still love the dumb bitch, but they are dead in general surely after this

I still like it,but it clashes with part 2 of One nation's skullduggery.......and that is unmissable, freakin awesome last night
Loop heads, especially in Queensland may still love the dumb bitch, but they are dead in general surely after this
Think again. Her supporters think she's been stitched up by lefty media. 🙄

But back to Gogglebox, is this the third ep to show MAFS this season? Or the fourth? 😱

Just watching last nights episode. That dog is still doing my nut in, but I did have a few more laughs this week, although my partner has done nothing but swear through it. I've often thought I should set my laptop up with the webcam on to see the things we say - or shout, about what's on! Could be interesting watching ourselves! 😅. Still got about half an hour to go - just off down the road to get the Indian take away and watch the rest!

I got about 3/4 through it then today's power cut hit. Will have to watch the rest later. Can't afford to waste my UPS juice running the TV.

Very true.
But I just wonder if the premise has longevity as a whole. I know new shows will constantly crop up for them to comment on and new faces may make a change but the premise itself may not have staying power imo. After all, its what we all do 'cept for the fact we dont have to play a defined "role" and fed lines when the occasion suits. I think also the believeability of the supposed "off the cuff" comments wear thin as does the forced" why are watching this" protestations when we all know they are given a set list to watch.
Was fun. Will continue to be so for a time. But they must re-shape the format somehow. And I dont know how you could do that with a show such as this. For me, it was a novelty which is slowly wearing off. But Im equally sure for others it will remain a laugh and a delight watching their fave characters.

The original UK version is now 13 seasons in and still rates pretty well over there. Ours is 9 seasons in and the number one show on Foxtel and Ten. I don't think it's going away for many years to come as people still seem to be enjoying it.

Highlights of tonight's show :

1. Symon and Adam discussing Australian versions of reality shows being better than their UK counterparts.
Symon : "There is one other show"
Adam : *blank*
Symon : "us"

2. Jad dancing to Backstreet Boys

Back