Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2018) - Episode 24 FINALE Discussion

I *THINK* the Final 2 will be:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who'd like to see "Fans vs Favourites" next year?

Not me. No celebrities, no returnees, just a new batch of decent contestants please.

Yeah, no more gimmicks just yet. The themes are killing the US version, let's not go down that route.

...me neither... I know what I'm about to talk about is more in general rather than only about our actual Survivor but I'm sure that my point is along the same lines for Survivor too in the long run... just bear with me...

...what I loved about the early days of our beloved Big Brother when it first started up was that the housemates were unknowns... they were complete nobodies... they did not have Social Media accounts in attempts to try and propel them into fame... they never had 'Agents' and 'Agencies' to promote their 'Social Accounts'... they were not just brainless 'fame whores'... they used to line up and audition for the chance to be on Big Brother back then... and if... just IF they got picked they went from obscurity to becoming known overnight... they weren't there because they had gimmicks like attempting to show how great they are by kicking a Soccer Ball (and doing it badly) or wearing a suit of Armour or even bring in a Lamb to impress... they basically just walked in off the street... (they were all from The Bachelorette as of late but it's the same difference to me)...

...the only people that they have now on these 'Reality' type shows are those types of people unfortunately... 'ordinary' people never get a run in on these shows anymore... the 'Contenders' this year are amoung the very few that are 'normal' people in 'Reality' shows nowadays... as much as I did like seeing Shane Gould as she looks like nowadays and that she won the show too I would have liked this season way more if they were all nobodies that we've never seen before... nobodies are more interesting for me anyway... trying to work out what makes them tick from scratch is one of the reasons to watch the show as far as I'm concerned... the trouble with the 'Champions' is that because you already know who they are then it's way too easy to go onto Google to find everything about them instantly... so half the fun is taken away already...

...besides... anyone that had a 'Champion' as a sweep pick already half knew how they ticked so knew what to expect on how they would go perhaps?... the unknowns were unpredictable so were more interesting to learn about from my point of view... I would like to see no more 'Celebrities'... no more 'Sports' people... no more of anyone that we already know about from here to eternity... no more gimmicks... no more becoming the US version of Survivor... Australia has made our own version of Survivor and have owned it... we don't need to imitate the US version any longer... keep the show unique and simple... only have unknowns... if they do that we can't lose...

...I really liked the unknowns from the past 2 seasons of Survivor... because they were unknowns... hopefully Channel 10 go back to that format once again... if they get too gimmicky then the ratings will fall and we'll lose it in my opinion... if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it eh?... cheers.

And they are still unknowns.

They aren't seeking fame & fortune, they just got back to their lives.

...that's a great point actually Kaz and that does show the better calibre of their contestants to start with doesn't it?... that's one of the EXACT reasons as to why they should always have unknowns... they are not pure 'fame whores'... they are there for the experience (and of course the money) only... if only all 'Reality' shows had the same attitude eh?... viewing those shows would be a whole lot more tolerable methinks!... cheers.

...that's a great point actually Kaz and that does show the better calibre of their contestants to start with doesn't it?... that's one of the EXACT reasons as to why they should always have unknowns... they are not pure 'fame whores'... they are there for the experience (and of course the money) only... if only all 'Reality' shows had the same attitude eh?... viewing those shows would be a whole lot more tolerable methinks!... cheers.

They picked the right people for sure.

And they weren't 'acting' to get the extra followers.

I didn't watch all of the series last year, but the episodes I did, you could tell that some would be friends for life.

They picked the right people for sure.

And they weren't 'acting' to get the extra followers.

I didn't watch all of the series last year, but the episodes I did, you could tell that some would be friends for life.

...yes... you nailed it Kaz... that just it... some of them do become tribe mates for life mainly because most of them are not shallow mindless morons as are the 'Media fame whores' that are on most Reality shows as of late... that's what I meant about the calibre of the unknown Castaways on this show... whoever picks 90% of these types of people for the show is doing a mighty fine job most of the time... it's a credit to them in fact... and a refreshing change lol!... cheers.

I still find it strange that they had to show clips of Shane's past towards the end, Survivor should be about what you do on the show. In Australian Survivor you often find some who get a big edit because while involved in storylines they are bigger character as well, people like Brian, Shonee, Sharn. But others like Fenella, Steve 'Commando', even Shane or Monika weren't really that prominent despite going far. The casting can get a bit overhyped for me.

...besides... anyone that had a 'Champion' as a sweep pick already half knew how they ticked so knew what to expect on how they would go perhaps?... the unknowns were unpredictable so were more interesting to learn about from my point of view... I would like to see no more 'Celebrities'... no more 'Sports' people... no more of anyone that we already know about from here to eternity... no more gimmicks... no more becoming the US version of Survivor... Australia has made our own version of Survivor and have owned it... we don't need to imitate the US version any longer... keep the show unique and simple... only have unknowns... if they do that we can't lose...

...I really liked the unknowns from the past 2 seasons of Survivor... because they were unknowns... hopefully Channel 10 go back to that format once again... if they get too gimmicky then the ratings will fall and we'll lose it in my opinion... if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it eh?... cheers.

Casting was champions not celebs........they were not especially well known apart from Commando, and he was a bit of a mystery anyway.

I had heard of 3 Commando, Lydia, Shane........and as Gogglebox showed us, most had no idea who Shane or Lydia are, Shane being before they were born, Lydia being winter sports and not that followed.

So to my mind, champs was full of nobodies.

I really don't give a crap who they cast as long as I don't know most of them and it is varied
And as I have pointed out previously, every Aussie season has had at least 1 champ type sports person, sometimes a couple, same deal
Anyway, I speculated they are likely flooded with ex athletes applicants and wanted to clear the decks.

And no I did not expect my sweep to even place, Shane being the eldest by far

Feels weird not to be tipping

I thought Shane contributed as much (in terms of making herself known and not flying under the radar) as a regular contestant, but I too could have done without any highlights packages of her swimming achievements. Great as they are, they are for outside of the main Survivor show. It jars just as much as if any of the US seasons featuring a singer had shown one of their video clips, or (if we had) Commando clips from The Biggest Loser.

I thought Shane contributed as much (in terms of making herself known and not flying under the radar) as a regular contestant, but I too could have done without any highlights packages of her swimming achievements. Great as they are, they are for outside of the main Survivor show. It jars just as much as if any of the US seasons featuring a singer had shown one of their video clips, or (if we had) Commando clips from The Biggest Loser.
Do those packages as an intro to each person and then leave it. No need to rehash it. Gives the viewer the chance then, should they choose, to look them up.

It jars just as much as if any of the US seasons featuring a singer had shown one of their video clips, or (if we had) Commando clips from The Biggest Loser.

Just to clarify, one US season featured Taj of girl group SWV, and another featured Lisa from TV show The Facts Of Life. Neither included clips.

Enjoyed this series but the finale was a bit of a washout, not so much because Shane won but because the final jury and the reunion focused so much on Mat and Sharn seemed to loose because she was scapegoated for Mat being voted out, even though she'd tried to save him and he was too stupid to use his idol despite Benji's actions at the tribal (and of course Benji seems fully forgiven). I felt at the final questioning all we got to see from Sharn was her being questioned about Mat - if he's so fussed about "loyalty" she should have been pointing out how both Mat and Shane kept her completely out of the loop when Lydia was evicted.

All in all thouse another brilliant series - so nice to see well produced reality TV with a strong format (though I think they have far too many idols nowadays). Hopefully it gets another run but just annoying it isn't the breakout hit it deserves to be.

All in all thouse another brilliant series - so nice to see well produced reality TV with a strong format (though I think they have far too many idols nowadays). Hopefully it gets another run but just annoying it isn't the breakout hit it deserves to be.
It has been renewed for 2019. I agree about the idols though - although, admittedly, it paved the way for a better outcome, which I'm sure was the producers' intention. I couldn't have dealt with a Brian-Shonee-Fenella final three. And I think people may have tuned out in droves.

I suspect Benji and Shonee are more popular with an international audience than the Australian and Shane is likely less popular. The more villainous role than Benji really took over from Russell probably doesn't appeal to the Australian audience as much. Luke was probably meant to be a more easy to like villain last year but I'd say he was about as villainous as 'snakey' Shane this year, so not very much at all in the reality beyond the talk. Shonee got put into the whole Shonella giggling alliance story but I thought she was worth more than that. Both Brian and Sharn had a fair number of faults but contributed to the post-merge storylines at least.

I suspect Benji and Shonee are more popular with an international audience than the Australian and Shane is likely less popular. The more villainous role than Benji really took over from Russell probably doesn't appeal to the Australian audience as much. Luke was probably meant to be a more easy to like villain last year but I'd say he was about as villainous as 'snakey' Shane this year, so not very much at all in the reality beyond the talk. Shonee got put into the whole Shonella giggling alliance story but I thought she was worth more than that. Both Brian and Sharn had a fair number of faults but contributed to the post-merge storylines at least.
I wouldn’t underestimate how well known Shane is- she always comes up around the Olympics. I think that helped her a lot with some international fans.

I haven't really watched the Olympics.

A point I meant to make before concerning Sharn's hidden idol at the challenge was that she was already very suspicious taking the risk to go all the way over to the challenge apparatus anyway. You could see Brian looking over wondering what she was doing, it was highly suspicious and she gave the impression of being very nervous. Even if the idol hadn't fallen on the ground I think she would have been more of a target based on that whole move, it was probably too big a risk going over there in front of everyone. Idols hidden at challenges have been around for a few years now and most should be aware of that.

Back