Skip to main content

New Aussie Version of Pointless, Debuting Soon On Channel 10

Evan44

This is the replacement for Family Feud, in that 6PM weeknightly timeslot on Channel 10.
I'm a big fan of the original BBC version, the one hosted by Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman, and those two have such great on air chemistry that I think it'll be hard to replicate with Aussie hosts.
And if its ratings are worse than the Family Feud ones, then you can bet Grant Denyer will be whining about it LOL

I like Mark Humphries from his SBS stuff, so I'll give this a go for sure, and yep, I think it'll be slightly dumbed down for commercial TV.
BTW The Think Tank on the ABC will clash with this, and I don't mind that one either, although Paul McDermott as host grates a bit.

Think Tank is being repeated by the ABC, not new episodes on at the moment.
I wish they'd put on a new series of the UK Pointless, or a new series of Eggheads

Think Tank is being repeated by the ABC, not new episodes on at the moment.
I wish they'd put on a new series of the UK Pointless, or a new series of Eggheads

I want Time Team or Grand Designs back on in the 6.00pm slot on ABC...

As for Channel 10, I don't actually see the "point" of Pointless... I just don't get it.

Didn't realise the UK one was so high brow it needs dumbing down. Apart from it's occassional flirtation with the periodic table and the dictionary it's generally mostly about popular culture anyway.

The only questions on the UK version that I really have no hope in are the soccer ones.

I wonder what they’ll do since half the country knows nothing about AFL and the other half nothing about NRL.

Well it wasn’t as entirely bad as I thought it would be. It really does seem to be Pointless Lite though, everything is cut down and it’s pretty rushed compared to the UK version. Not much banter => not much laughs.

Only 2 final categories to choose from, only two answer types and only two guesses is going to make it hard to win. Contestants tonight didn’t seem particularly knowledgeable, they didn’t get anything close to pointless in the general play. But they whip through it so quickly it may be just hard to gauge.

I think the Think Tankers will sleep easily tonight.

Well it wasn’t as entirely bad as I thought it would be. It really does seem to be Pointless Lite though, everything is cut down and it’s pretty rushed compared to the UK version. Not much banter => not much laughs.

Only 2 final categories to choose from, only two answer types and only two guesses is going to make it hard to win. Contestants tonight didn’t seem particularly knowledgeable, they didn’t get anything close to pointless in the general play. But they whip through it so quickly it may be just hard to gauge.

I think the Think Tankers will sleep easily tonight.

Think Tank averaged less than 150k and there is no plans to make any more any time soon. Pointless will easily get higher than that.

Pointless rated 493k last night, more than double what Family Feud was rating. It will be interesting how many of those people stick around. I found the Australian was way too rushed compared to the original and there wasn't time for any banter or humour to be included.

Back