Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

Hmmmm. Not sure why the need for Margaret Court to be brought up now. She and others who think the same way or have the same beliefs are entitled to their opinions. Didn't like the hypocrisy then, don't like it now. But pointing and laughing when victorious, so not cool.

I can't see the article. It is a subscribe only one. :(
oh lol weird cos I am not subscribed... hmm I just tried getting back to it it my history and through that link and can't now. Basically it was just saying that the couple that vowed they would divorce if Marriage Equality happens may have to get ready to legally separate if they are still serious. But they would need to prove they are actually are really separated to get divorced, so it will not be as easy as just saying it. Hopefully since they made this stupid vow they have had time to reflect that they are the only ones harming their marriage because of this law not gay people, and they just get on with life.

here is another article
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/11/1...e-sex-marriage-is-legalised-unsure-of-future/

As did mine, Sydney.
I was always going to vote yes and I did vote yes, but it sickened me and made me feel uncomfortable with the attitude I was seeing of vote yes, or else. Everyone had their choice to make and it was their choice. It shouldn't be voting one way or another because someone either coerced you into it or you felt uncomfortable voting no. In all honesty it felt at many times that the yes side was more vitriolic and nasty about how people were going to vote.

I was always going to vote yes and I did vote yes, but it sickened me and made me feel uncomfortable with the attitude I was seeing of vote yes, or else. Everyone had their choice to make and it was their choice. It shouldn't be voting one way or another because someone either coerced you into it or you felt uncomfortable voting no. In all honesty it felt at many times that the yes side was more vitriolic and nasty about how people were going to vote.

I can't say I saw anything of that type, just people complaining about it. But maybe that's down to my media selections.

It mentions Steve Price... Was he a yes or no voter? I would imagine he would be conservative, but it's always best not to assume what people think.

I can't say I saw anything of that type, just people complaining about it. But maybe that's down to my media selections.
It could well be. I saw a lot on facebook on various timelines. Maybe I was suffering from sensory overload as I had made up my mind a long time ago and wanted it over and done with. I wasn't particularly interested in how people voted and only know how my mother voted because she told me.

It could well be. I saw a lot on facebook on various timelines. Maybe I was suffering from sensory overload as I had made up my mind a long time ago and wanted it over and done with. I wasn't particularly interested in how people voted and only know how my mother voted because she told me.

I have to say of my facebook friends who show their politics, it's nearly all left-wing, so I don't see too much arguing there.

I have Facebook friends on each of the far right and the far left. There are no randoms on my friends list. I saw both sides behaving badly and I hated that we had been put into a situation that would foster such vitriol. I have seen a little of the same in response to the outcome but not nearly as much as I feared.
We had a church service barely an hour after the announcement and one couple very seriously said that the world is now going to end sooner and that ISIS would now step things up against Australia. Their opinion was dismissed by everyone else there - but respectfully and gently. I think we were all alternating between screaming in frustration and howling with laughter on the inside.

I respect their their right (and anyone else's) to vote from their conscience. That's what a democracy is about. But where, oh where do they get this rubbish from. It most certainly wasn't their minister.

You know, for me it was very hard to keep asking politely for equal human rights, but I managed to keep it civil. Just. That's where some people's frustration and (at times) anger came from. Don't forget that. At least the Yes campaigners weren't slashing people's banners/flags, painting swastikas on their houses, throwing rocks through people's windows or leaving dog shit on their doorsteps.

"But he did it, why can't I?

Meh, don't give a toss about FB or other people's opinions. Guess that's obvious. :roflmao:

I remember years ago a friend telling me if the person they weren't voting for got in, they'd leave the State. They didn't. Being so rigid in your thinking does not lead to a healthy life.

You know, for me it was very hard to keep asking politely for equal human rights, but I managed to keep it civil. Just. That's where some people's frustration and (at times) anger came from. Don't forget that. At least the Yes campaigners weren't slashing people's banners/flags, painting swastikas on their houses, throwing rocks through people's windows or leaving dog shit on their doorsteps.
Was that stuff seriously happening?
I’m kinda glad I missed it all...

Back