Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

'Of course the Australians have better healthcare than we do --everybody does': Trump says he MEANT to praise universal health care

• Bernie Sanders burst into laughter when Chris Hayes played the video of Trump's remarks for him on Thursday night. 'That's great,' Sanders replied
  • 'Thank you Mr. Trump for admitting that universal health care is the better way to go. I'll be sure to quote you on the floor of the Senate,' he tweeted later

3FFA524B00000578-4477232-image-a-19_1493992676996.jpg

3FFA36F100000578-4477232-image-a-18_1493991264808.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Fa5aea4fa9069d499a5b4253ee40214a7%2F204816879%2F631576524.jpg

5 Ways Justin Trudeau Has Taught Us How To Be Better
Channel your inner Trudeau.

Canada's Prime Minister is quickly redefining what it means to be a world leader, with his progressive views, sense of humour

But Trudeau we've come up with a list of five times our favourite PM taught us some valuable life lessons...

1. Open Mindedness Is The Key To Growth

In December 2015 the Canadian Prime Minister arrived at Toronto airport with one thing on his mind. He was there to personally greet 163 refugees arriving from Syria. At a time when the issue of refuge has never been more divisive, Trudeau opted for open mindedness over fear.

"Open-mindedness is a key character strength, being able to take another's perspective and also let go of your own is crucial," psychologist Dr Suzy Green said.

So how can we take a leaf out of Trudeau's book and open ourselves up? It just requires a shift in focus.

"When you're with others, simply set the intention to focus on them rather than on yourself," life coach, Stephanie Chan explained.

"Be present, listen, and genuinely seek ways to help and serve the people you're with."

( open mindedness is also the key to creativity, artists see the world differently through open eyes/mind)

2. Speaking Up For Equality Is Important

It's increasingly common for men to identify as feminists but none -- so far -- have done it as eloquently, passionately or as frequently as the Canadian PM. Let's get one thing straight, politics is a tricky business and sometimes a 'controversial' opinion could spell the undoing of a politician in a heartbeat. You know who doesn't care? Justin Trudeau!

"Having the courage to speak up and stand up for what you believe in is an important trait," Green said.

"Trudeau's ability to stick to his message has won him fans all over the world because he's trustworthy."

So what can you do next time you find your voice being drowned out by the majority?

"It's important to be true to ourselves, even in the face of expected disagreement," Chan said.

"Let people know your opinion even when it differs with theirs, just do it nicely, it doesn't have to be confrontational, channel your inner Trudeau!"

3. Knowledge Is Power

Whether it's at work, with friends or at home, we've all been on the end of a cynical comment designed to make us feel small. Last year a reporter sarcastically suggested that Prime Minister Trudeau explain quantum computing. The crowd laughed, Justin smiled and then -- he explained it, like a boss.

The take home lesson? Arming yourself with knowledge makes you untouchable!

"Identify areas of interest and set a goal about increasing your knowledge with specific action, like reading a credible news website daily or taking a weekly quiz on the topic," Green recommended.

It also doesn't hurt to spend a little time perfecting when to use what you know.

"Invest time, not only in your knowledge and education, but in your ability to use correct information in your thinking and decision making processes," Chan said.

"Justin composed himself and calmly delivered his response, check mate!"

4. Take Time To Appreciate The People Close To You (Even When You're The PM)

Despite being the leader of the second largest country in the world, Justin Trudeau knows how easy it is to fall into the "I'm so busy" trap and drift away from friends and family. So last year, the PM took an entire day off to celebrate his 11th wedding anniversary with wife, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau.

"Knowing what you truly value in your life and keeping these priorities front and centre will ensure you have high levels of authenticity and integrity in your life," Green said.

"I recommend putting personal priorities into the schedule first and fit everything else around them," Chan explained.

"Be very clear on your personal priorities and set a 'check-up' reminder for yourself regularly to see if you are espousing those priorities or letting them slip."

5. Engage With Your Community

We all know by now that Justin Trudeau is pretty much flawless. But far from being just someone who just cheers on from the sidelines, he actively gets involved in everything he believes in.
Case in point, Canada's Pride Parade. Last year the 45 year old became the first sitting PM to take part in the march, walking with his fellow Canadians in an impressive show of community.

"Justin Trudeau marching was more than just a political moment, it was a reminder to be curious, be engaged and be available to your fellow man," Chan said.

"Put the phone down for a while and actually engage with the world – talk to people, explore places and events, and most of all – be open to what you find."

.................It is heartening Trudeau demonstrates you can be a decent human being and a politician.............

Trump contradicts himself almost every time he opens his mouth. He really is a desperate creature.

Gotta love Bernie Sanders!

I don't follow how Trump got the healthcare thing through - did he adjust it or did some republicans just cave for some reason? And if so, why, what did they get out of it? I read Trump did the arm twisting thing, but why did that work this time?

Reactions: kxk
Trudeau is the new Obama I guess. And maybe Macron will join the non-arsehole politician group...?

Trump contradicts himself almost every time he opens his mouth. He really is a desperate creature.

Gotta love Bernie Sanders!

I don't follow how Trump got the healthcare thing through - did he adjust it or did some republicans just cave for some reason? And if so, why, what did they get out of it? I read Trump did the arm twisting thing, but why did that work this time?

Trump is far from a desperate creature. And Bernie Sanders is a fool. I used to believe in Bernie, but now I realize how wrong I was about him.

Trudeau = good human; Obama - good human, who both want a better world for ALL humans not just rich ones
I hope Macron is a good human, so far he seems kind.

School funding - what is going on, going wrong???
What I know is - private and catholic schools have only had government funding for a short period, 30-40 years.

My older siblings went to Catholic primary schools with no funding, flooded with Italian & Greek migrants, and already overcrowded with boom babies.
They had 100 kids on some of those classes, none of them got a proper primary education, they may be a bit dim but they had shit conditions.

And when I went to Catholic unfunded high school, when I turned up for year 8, we had no aisles, and had to share desks - whilst we waited for the government funded science lab ( the only funding you could get, grants for science stuff), we would wait a few months and then use that as our class room.

VIVE LA FRANCE

Emmanuel Macron, 39, becomes France's youngest president after a crushing 31-point victory over Marine Le Pen: Outsider will move into the Elysee Palace with his wife Brigitte, 64

40110B2500000578-4482380-Emmanuel_Macron_and_his_wife_addressed_his_adoring_supporters_ou-m-159_1494192114038.jpg

Macron, 39, threatens to be tough on Brexit after crushing Le Pen to become France's youngest leader since Napoleon as he cheers his 66% victory with his 64-year-old wife and her granddaughter
  • Emmanuel Macron was elected as France's president at the age of 39 after beating far-right Marine Le Pen
  • According to the exit polls, Macron - a former banker - had won 66 per cent of the vote in the crucial election
  • Le Pen conceded just 15 minutes after the announcement and phoned Macron to congratulate him on his win
  • Voters in the country were under the watch of 50,000 security forces, guarding against a potential attack

Emmanuel Macron last night vowed to 'defend Europe' minutes after becoming France's youngest leader since Napoleon.

Macron, 39, beat far-right National Front (FN) candidate Marine Le Pen, 48, in an election that will have widespread repercussions for the future of Europe.

He has previously stated he will not give Britain an easy Brexit deal and even branded the UK's departure from the EU 'a crime'.

He walked across the sprawling historic courtyard to the music of Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy', the European Union anthem, and said: 'Europe and the world are waiting for us to defend the spirit of the enlightenment everywhere.'

Addressing the jubilant crowd with a beaming smile, he said: 'Thank you my friends. Thank you for being here tonight. You have fought with courage.

'What we have done for so many months, everyone thought it was impossible, but they didn't know France. I thank you for your trust. Thank you for the risk some have taken.'

Macron also addressed those who had voted for Le Pen, telling the crowd: 'They have expressed today anger.

'I respect them and I will do everything in the five years that come for there to be no reason to vote for extremists. Today there are just the French. France reunited.'

He repeatedly said the task before him was 'immense' adding that Europe and the world were looking to France. He added that he would work to 'reform our Europe'

Macron said that France had 'chosen audacity' and promised to serve his country with 'humility and strength'.

He added: 'This evening it is Europe and it is the world that are watching us. Europe and the world are waiting for us to defend the spirit of the enlightenment everywhere, threatened in so many places.

'They expect us to defend liberties everywhere, that we protect the oppressed. They are waiting for us to have a new hope, a new humanism, a more secure world, a world of freedom, a world of more growth, more justice, more ecology. They await us finally.

'The task before us is immense and will begin tomorrow. It will require making public life more responsible, defending our democratic values, strengthening our economy, building the new protections of this world around us, giving a place to everyone, rebuilding our Europe and ensuring the safety of all the French.'

He ended his speech with the immortal French words: 'Long live the Republic, long live France'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4482380/Emmanuel-Macron-set-France-s-youngest-president.html#ixzz4gRfSufIn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Happy LANDSLIDE result...............THE RISE OF SANITY BEGINS:)

Long Live The Queen, But Let's Prepare For A Republic Anyway
Some say it's disrespectful or morbid to talk about the Queen's passing. It's actually responsible.

Elizabeth is 91. And it serves nobody to deny that the day fast approaches that she will no longer be the Queen by choice or by her passing, an event that is referred to as the 'Demise of the Crown'.

.............the Queen has been part of our lives since 6 Feb 1952; the entire lives of Aussies who are 65 or younger.
All that changes in an instant. Our identity will change. No longer will we be a people who continue passively to live with a remnant of our history in our lives because, to most, that is the way it has always been.
We will be a people who have woken up to a new King, and who in spite of being an independent nation, could do nothing about it.

The momentous nature of the change itself will make it an issue. In the eyes of the world, we will be a people who by default are seen to be comfortable with a new monarch being imposed on us; one to whom, as a matter of law, our parliamentarians must swear allegiance when they are sworn in by the Governor General.

Oh thank God...thank you France. For not being insane. I know that could sound like a back handed compliment.

But - it's not!

This IS the world we live in...

MORE GOOD NEWS...GOOD HUMAN WINS

in is elected South Korea's president in a landslide victory that could ease tensions with the North
  • South Koreans voted for a new president after Park-Geun-hye was ousted
  • Liberal candidate Moon Jae-in won the election on Tuesday, exit polls showed
  • Lawyer Moon had more than 40 per cent of votes in a field of 13 candidates
  • Moon is expected to be sworn in on Wednesday after official results are released
Liberal Moon Jae-in has declared victory in South Korea's presidential election after his two major rivals conceded defeat.

The election sets up the country's first liberal rule in a decade.

Moon, who narrowly lost to Park in the last presidential election, in 2012, favours dialogue with North Korea to ease rising tension over its accelerating nuclear and missile programme.

He also wants to reform powerful family-run conglomerates, such as Samsung and Hyundai, and boost fiscal spending to create jobs.

Moon has criticised the two former conservative governments for failing to stop North Korea's weapons development.
'South Koreans are more concerned that Trump, rather than North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, will make a rash military move, because of his outrageous tweets, threats of force and unpredictability,' Duyeon Kim, a visiting fellow at the Korean Peninsula Future Forum in Seoul, wrote recently in Foreign Affairs magazine

Moon was born on January 24, 1953, during the Korean War, on Geoje island off the southern tip of the peninsula.

His parents had fled from the North during the war, sailing for three days on the deck of a US ship packed with refugees.

'I was thinking I wanted to finish my life there in Hungnam doing pro-bono service,' he said in his book published in January, referring to his parents' hometown on North Korea's east coast.

'When peaceful reunification comes, the first thing I want to do is to take my 90-year-old mother and go to her hometown.'

As a law student in the 1970s, he was jailed twice during pro-democracy protests against the dictatorship of Park Chung-hee - father of Park Geun-hye - and his successor, Chun Doo-hwan.

He was released from jail after passing a state bar exam.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4487186/A-war-regime-choices-S-Koreans-vote-new-president.html#ixzz4gdsqrpAc
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Macron is the winner. :thumbsup: So happy.

I am confident that the Trump mega fan on this forum is a Le Pen supporter though.

Back