Skip to main content

Survivor Season 33

...when I asked my sweet darling wife as to whether she was going to watch the US version on Channel 9 she told me "no!"... I asked her whether it was because it was on too late?... again she said "no!"... I asked her why?... she said... "because Channel 9 are just trying to cash in on Channel 10's ratings winner... they always do stuff like that... so stuff them!"... I thought 'fair enough point'... I'm wondering whether this could be the reason as to why others are not watching it too?... one thing that I learned from this is?... that I'm not the only one that hates Channel 9 on this planet!... lol!... cheers.
Survivor US has been on nine far longer than the Aussie version has been on ch 10,so I would think ch 10 is cashing in....

I don't mind the US version, I usually record it and watch later, and skip the ads.

Sometimes there is a hidden message in these things. It can just be a visual metaphor - eg, a snake eats a rat, and then they show a strategist organising a blindside - but sometimes it goes deeper. For example, one season there was a little monkey thing that was often shown before scenes that had the eventual winner. The flying fox this season is probably a like this. He has already been shown searching the storm that shook the island, as well as soaring off etc - he is probably representing specific castaway or an alliance, or maybe a theme of the show.

Micheal Trudeau has an excellence blog on this stuff, hosted on the RHAP website.

The editing on the US one is tighter. The Australian one gives itself time to breathe and relax. Every scene in the US one is important. Australian still has some redundancies - eg, we didn't need 11 confessionals telling us that it was strange to be away on Exile Island.

Oh, yes. I know it's purposeful. The US edit is tight and deft and employs excellent visual shorthand and those little clues - but there is something about the sheer beauty of the extended footage in this season of Aus survivor that makes me want to cry sometimes. To write it off as 'yeah, same as US' was to my mind, a bit blind.

I've said it a million times, the editing of the Australian season is very similar to the early seasons of survivor, mixed with a bit of the Biggest Loser's "repeat exactly what happened in a very slow voice".

^^Well, say it again!

reposting this news (to me) here, that I see has already been reported up thread, in case it gets buried in the mix...

Oh for the love of God:

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/10/bumped-survivor-2.html

This is frustrating….

Nine has bumped Survivor out to an 11pm start next Thursday after just 2 outings.

After multiple fast-tracked seasons early evening on GO! fans weren’t happy it was pushed to a later start on Nine this season -largely due to Nine hopping to piggyback on the interest in Australian Survivor.

Last night it screened at 9:40pm but only drew 260,000 which is clearly too low for the timeslot.

Nine is now pushing it out to 11pm, replacing it with a repeat of The William Shatner Roast at 9:30pm next week. It is the third timeslot in 3 weeks.

For fans not keen to wait up, episodes are due to be available on 9Now from 3pm each Thursday. Get onto it.

Should've kept it in its old timeslot on Go! A repeat of the William Shatner Roast!!! FFS!

Arseholes.

I'll be recording it from now on for sure, but so annoying for people who watch it live. As you say, it would be better on GO! at like 9:30.

I've caught up on all the episodes.

I can't say it's riveting viewing so far. Maybe because it's the beginning or because I am enjoying the Australian version so much? I don't particularly like anyone at this point although Ken is nice to look at. The millennials are mostly annoying, also what's up with the showmance? It seems like the dumbest move ever.

I don't think the Gen X girls made the right move. They were 3 in a 6 alliance so they had as much power as the boys and now the 2 boys remaining probably aren't going to trust them. I would imagine that if they stayed as a 6 that would have keep them safe for 3 more tribals at least.

I heard a podcast exit interview of Paul. He said that the Gen Xers were pretty sure that David has an idol because he spent a lot of time in the beginning looking for one.

He is even wearing those blue jocks for the official tribe photo.

rs_1024x758-160817093307-1024-survivor-33-gen-x-tribe-cbs.jpg

Another good episode no doubt, for the challenges and soundbites and action

topless wonder Michaela
Hannah 'how's your idol search going'
"my husband and kids dislike me a lot of times"
"now's the time to find out the chump playin who shouldn't have been playin"
and David played out his strategy, but was it a good one?

So I'm not too sure about the result. Jessica is an idiot, Ken isn't that sensible. David may have sunk himself sadly.

I'd rather the Millennials had gone to tribal to stir up their tribe anyway.

Episode 4:

So, I think David is going to win. I think that the bat they keep showing is meant to be him. During the cyclone in episode 1 it was shown weathering the storm, as David seems to have, despite tonight's pointless theatrics.

Kenny boy is playing with his feelings and not his brain. Now, tiger mum Lucy was appalling in how she dealt with him, and when called out on it at tribal, she called him a pussy rather than apologise, so she did deserve to go. But Dave, really? Here is a woman who is willing to work with you, who is utterly unlikable, meaning she'll go home before you, and who is going to pull you and your best buddy into the majority, and he wastes his idol on getting her out, to keep someone who clearly doesn't trust you or your superundies ally.

I guess she remains as a target next week - forgetting about the swap.

Anyway, regardless of my misgivings, the whole thing was shown from Dave and Kenny's point of view, so I guess it works out for them, but this seems like a flashy 'big move' from a television writer, rather than sound strategy from a sound strategist.

Just watched.

WTF??? What happened just at tribal? David playing his immunity idol to save Jessica was totally out of left field....what was his reasoning? It seems like a waste of an idol to me.

Just watched.

WTF??? What happened just at tribal? David playing his immunity idol to save Jessica was totally out of left field....what was his reasoning? It seems like a waste of an idol to me.
I know! Makes me feel a little better about the way the AU players are(n't) playing, now tbh.

Just watched.

I think he was thinking that by saving Jessica that she would align with him, Ken and Cece. So they would go from the bottom of the tribe to the top.

haha! It made good television. At least Ken should be happy Lucy is out.
I do agree but in his confessional he voted for Jess. I guess he was really pissed off when she went and told Lucy what he said.

BTW, what a fucking terrible move that was. Yeah, OF COURSE nothing bad would go wrong if Jess went and asked Lucy is she was being voted out! ffs...

Saw this on the Survivor Subreddit in response to the preview to next weeks show, thought you guys might like to see it:

"The moment you realise when you go to your new tribe's beach after the swap and you realize there is no Taylor around: http://imgur.com/a/afy8I "

Made me laugh Haha

Hannah 'how's your idol search going'
Quote of the series. Hands down.

Back