Skip to main content

XXXI Rio Olympiad

Is Seven's coverage as bad as NBC's (constant commercial breaks, meaningless backstories, etc.)?

I've seen some articles about the NBC coverage and I don't think ours is anywhere near as bad. I watched the opening ceremony live and actually thought to myself there's been hardly any ads! It got to the point where I was praying for one so I could go make a cuppa.

The campbell sisters have been described as everything from brave to unlucky to disappointing in our media.
The girls handled themselves very well and were very composed and measured post interview swim.
Pity then that the interviewer could barely hide his "I feel let down" tone. Our home media also did nothing to disguise their "I feel crushed and ripped off"sentiment. Build the hype and then feel let down.:rolleyes:
I dont think the Campbell sisters ever described themselves as gold medal certainties.
They have nothing to be disappointed about. Its our helium filled media hype that generates this scenario.
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE . GOLD GOLD GOLD.
WHAT. NO GOLD. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Reminds me of quite a few years ago when Mark Phillipousis ( dubbed the scud because of serving power) beat Pete Sampras at the Australian open. The scud was relatively new on the scene and Sampras was dominating the Tennis world sitting aloft the rankings.
In an absolute boilover, the scud downed Sampras in straight sets. Our media went crazy.
"BYE BYE Sampras."....."Sampras missiled by the Scud"................"Scud sends pistol Pete packing"......screamed all our headlines.
Unfortunately, Mark lost in the next round to a relative unknown. Headlines were slightly different
"SCUD THE DUD" raged the Daily Telegraph in all its glory.
I guess 48 hours is long enough for hero worship.:D

The campbell sisters have been described as everything from brave to unlucky to disappointing in our media.
The girls handled themselves very well and were very composed and measured post interview swim.
Pity then that the interviewer could barely hide his "I feel let down" tone. Our home media also did nothing to disguise their "I feel crushed and ripped off"sentiment. Build the hype and then feel let down.:rolleyes:
I dont think the Campbell sisters ever described themselves as gold medal certainties.
They have nothing to be disappointed about. Its our helium filled media hype that generates this scenario.

Reminds me of quite a few years ago when Mark Phillipousis ( dubbed the scud because of serving power) beat Pete Sampras at the Australian open. The scud was relatively new on the scene and Sampras was dominating the Tennis world sitting aloft the rankings.
In an absolute boilover, the scud downed Sampras in straight sets. Our media went crazy.
"BYE BYE Sampras."....."Sampras missiled by the Scud"................"Scud sends pistol Pete packing"......screamed all our headlines.
Unfortunately, Mark lost in the next round to a relative unknown. Headlines were slightly different

I couldn't watch it and I won't watch it - the pressure was excessive on them, they are nice and modest girls, and they were forced to have the hopes of 23 million people on their back.

Typical . Sort of reminds me off the tall poppy syndrome, with a twist. The media piss me off, with their comments and expectations.

I've been listening to a bit of the Sydney Olympics Roy and HG coverage. Flat bags, hello boys, battered sav. Love it.
My partner has it on the tv constantly. He loves all sports. The upside for me, he often falls asleep in front of the telly which in turn gives me a break from his chainsaw like snoring.

I'm personally not a fan of the CH7 Coverage. At a point the other day, there were 11 sports running at the same time (Most with Aussies) and CH7 are showing THE SAME SPORT on all three channels. ANd also.... ARCHERY. Wanna watch it live? THINK AGAIN SUNSHINE

Loving the sports that aren't mainstream. Couldn't give a tinker's cuss about swimming. Loving the archery, shooting, sevens, walking. It will never be perfect to anyone. However, it becomes a case of either sucking it up and watching what's on, not watching any of it or doing the time honoured tradition of channel surfing.

I'm personally not a fan of the CH7 Coverage. At a point the other day, there were 11 sports running at the same time (Most with Aussies) and CH7 are showing THE SAME SPORT on all three channels. ANd also.... ARCHERY. Wanna watch it live? THINK AGAIN SUNSHINE

I wanted to watch Track and Field today. There are a very significant population in Australia who are Kiwi's and they had Valerie Adams in the Shot Put final who is freaking amazing, instead on showing a second of that on any Channel, we were forced to watch Water Polo, Women's Soccer and Swimming with predictable winners. The Men's Long Jump, Men's 400m and Women's 100m were treated like second or third class events. Give me Women's Shot Put with a Kiwi Queen and Track and Field variety over dull swimming

I wanted to watch Track and Field today. There are a very significant population in Australia who are Kiwi's and they had Valerie Adams in the Shot Put final who is freaking amazing, instead on showing a second of that on any Channel, we were forced to watch Water Polo, Women's Soccer and Swimming with predictable winners. The Men's Long Jump, Men's 400m and Women's 100m were treated like second or third class events. Give me Women's Shot Put with a Kiwi Queen and Track and Field variety over dull swimming
The swimming is always the premium discipline here and always will be. No wonder the swimmers claim to be under pressure. No thanks in part to the inflated egos (that can be read as pedestals) that are thrust upon them or they're put on. It's always been that way, whether they deny it or not.

The swimming is always the premium discipline here and always will be. No wonder the swimmers claim to be under pressure. No thanks in part to the inflated egos (that can be read as pedestals) that are thrust upon them or they're put on. It's always been that way, whether they deny it or not.

IMHO is the pressure from the Australian public that is the issue. For example, the Brisbane City Council put a whole lot of promoting into a new swimming complex over the last few years which is basically a dud no one uses. But they called it The Emily Seebhom Aquatic Centre or something along those lines. How is Emily Seebhom meant to feel about this? I cringe every time I see it. So much pressure.

Agreed. Its what we are most known for since the days of Andrew"boy"Charlton way back when.
The swimmers of recent years(mainly our testosterone bursting male swimmers) have taken it upon themselves to be the rock stars of the olympics.They are up first. Program finishes early. Then have the rest of the time to pissfart around and pop sleeping stillnox beauties to their hearts content.
Protip for Aussie men swimmers. Stillnox and cola makes you a pretty feeble rock star:p
I think also there is a kinda elemental symbolism in that we are a nation of water babies by necessity.
We live girt by sea ffs:D

IMHO is the pressure from the Australian public that is the issue. For example, the Brisbane City Council put a whole lot of promoting into a new swimming complex over the last few years which is basically a dud no one uses. But they called it The Emily Seebhom Aquatic Centre or something along those lines. How is Emily Seebhom meant to feel about this? I cringe every time I see it. So much pressure.
I've always thought that the named person has to approve the naming of a building if they're still alive.

Reactions: Tee
Back