Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

I've never voted Liberal in my life and certainly won't start now, but I would've voted for Howard over Abbott any day. I agree re Turnbull. A bit smooth for me. Surely nobody would take Trump seriously. They're just 'supporting' him for the laugh. When it comes to voting on the day, how many will really go there for him?

Don't underestimate the silliness of voters. You might be surprised.

I've never voted Liberal in my life and certainly won't start now, but I would've voted for Howard over Abbott any day. I agree re Turnbull. A bit smooth for me. Surely nobody would take Trump seriously. They're just 'supporting' him for the laugh. When it comes to voting on the day, how many will really go there for him?

Nah I never voted for the Libs in my life either. But I'm a little torn about Turnbull, on one hand I don't want to Libs to win, but if they lose, then it's likely the party will go straight back to the ratbag right who will say that they should have stuck with Tony.

I class myself as a swing voter despite having never voted for Libs. I grew up in fairly Liberal areas - my two local members growing up were actually Joe Hockey and Mr Abbott - but I tend to vote ALP/greens but am not so staunch in that. I am socially extremely liberal but I'd say economically I am conservative so there will always be aspects of left-wing I don't agree with and, albeit a bit reluctantly, aspects of left-wing that I do, but you get that I suppose.

I class myself as a swing voter despite having never voted for Libs. I grew up in fairly Liberal areas - my two local members growing up were actually Joe Hockey and Mr Abbott - but I tend to vote ALP/greens but am not so staunch in that. I am socially extremely liberal but I'd say economically I am conservative so there will always be aspects of left-wing I don't agree with and, albeit a bit reluctantly, aspects of left-wing that I do, but you get that I suppose.
I don't think that it would unrealistic to say that very many of us are, as you say, swing voters, unless you're deeply entrenched in a party mindset. I've voted Labor in the early years but lately am inclined to vote Greens or Democrats. Liberal have never been big in my electorate.

Well things have changed since we were all were relieved to be relieved of that thug Abbott - Turnbull turned out to be piss weak.
So, when all the politics and parties give you the shits, the least offensive choice is always Labour.
Even if it is just to stop that stupid expensive waste of time & money plebiscite.

I voted yesterday - and I was pleased to see a marriage equality party, and a drug reform party. And disgusted to see that excon Hinch on the ballot.

Well things have changed since we were all were relieved to be relieved of that thug Abbott - Turnbull turned out to be piss weak.
So, when all the politics and parties give you the shits, the least offensive choice is always Labour.
Even if it is just to stop that stupid expensive waste of time & money plebiscite.

I voted yesterday - and I was pleased to see a marriage equality party, and a drug reform party. And disgusted to see that excon Hinch on the ballot.
"The Australian Equality Party is a broad-based human rights party that has the well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBTIQ) Australians at its heart."

That's soooo discriminatory and wrong. They even say they are 'inclusive'. No party should be discriminating due to sexual preference, but discrimination is at this party's heart. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

...**Sticky tippy-toes into the room**... GO PAULINE HANSON!... **tippy-toes back out**... (everyone asks... "is he just shit stirring?")... **sticks head back in through the door**... just kidding! ;)... **closes door behind him**... cheers.

Abbott was just dumb. Obviously not in Everything. But in front of a camera in an interview he came across as dumb. Howard didnt ever cone across as dumb. Ill give him that. People DO take Trump seriously. Apparently.

And ... well.... Brexit.

Reactions: kxk
Abbott was just dumb. Obviously not in Everything. But in front of a camera in an interview he came across as dumb. Howard didnt ever cone across as dumb. Ill give him that. People DO take Trump seriously. Apparently.

And ... well.... Brexit.
The northern hemisphere has politically gone to hell in a handbasket. I am naive enough to think that the general populace of voters in the US won't allow Trump to walk roughshod over them and pay no heed to decency. Hillary won't be much better I suppose. It has been said that it's about who you like less.

Libs will win comfortably due to a quite genius play by the CFA to picket Labor at marginal polling booths in uniform.

Libs will win comfortably due to a quite genius play by the CFA to picket Labor at marginal polling booths in uniform.
Unfortunately you may be right on the money. However, Shorten has said that same sex marriage will be his first bill. That could garner a few extra votes. [DOUBLEPOST=1467117531][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm going to tip it here, that win or lose this weekend, Turnbull will not last full term as Liberal leader.
Quite possible. I'm still not decided on my voting choices but the Libs weren't even in the running. I come from a background of educators and work in the public health sector, relying in part on penalty rates.

Last edited:
Being out of the country I voted last week. On the house of reps (green) paper you have to number every box in sequence. Out of 10 boxes for Sydney (Tania Plibersek's electorate) I numbered 1 through 5 and then realised I wanted to put all the rest last... no can do!

Australia's voting system sucks, it should be so much simpler.

I do approve of numbering at least six above the line on the Senate tablecloth. At least your vote goes where you want rather than where your first choice wants. This election will be fascinating and much less predictable on preferences than ever before. Should be a great night's viewing on Saturday.

Being out of the country I voted last week. On the house of reps (green) paper you have to number every box in sequence. Out of 10 boxes for Sydney (Tania Plibersek's electorate) I numbered 1 through 5 and then realised I wanted to put all the rest last... no can do!

Australia's voting system sucks, it should be so much simpler.

I do approve of numbering at least six above the line on the Senate tablecloth. At least your vote goes where you want rather than where your first choice wants. This election will be fascinating and much less predictable on preferences than ever before. Should be a great night's viewing on Saturday.
I'm certainly looking forward to it. I enjoy, on the whole, the voting process, even if it's clunky. What channel will you watch it on? I'll see who the panels are then decide or I might do what I always do, channel surf.

I'm certainly looking forward to it. I enjoy, on the whole, the voting process, even if it's clunky. What channel will you watch it on? I'll see who the panels are then decide or I might do what I always do, channel surf.
I can watch on Australia Plus (they'll carry the ABC's coverage). But I also have a VPN which gives me access to (almost unwatchable) streams of Seven and Nine. But like you, I normally surf depending on who is on their panels.

I paid for a year of this VPN. I think they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and so far I have to say I'm not impressed, so they will probably be hearing from me soon.

I can watch on Australia Plus (they'll carry the ABC's coverage). But I also have a VPN which gives me access to (almost unwatchable) streams of Seven and Nine. But like you, I normally surf depending on who is on their panels.

I paid for a year of this VPN. I think they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and so far I have to say I'm not impressed, so they will probably be hearing from me soon.
Who are u with? I am using unotelly. They seem ok. I mainly useit for iview. (Short stint of ten iacgmooh). It sometimes needs to buffer for a bit, usually just at the start, and I dont think I can access the live stream (well I havent worked out how to do it) but the shows work ok.
Is Australia Plus just Asia?

My eyes fell out of my head when I read that one of the shonkiest political parties in the forthcoming election, Health Australia Party, were campaigning on a ticket of 'mindfulness'. Hmmmm...

Who are u with? I am using unotelly. They seem ok. I mainly useit for iview. (Short stint of ten iacgmooh). It sometimes needs to buffer for a bit, usually just at the start, and I dont think I can access the live stream (well I havent worked out how to do it) but the shows work ok.
Is Australia Plus just Asia?
Australia Plus used to be known as Australia Network. It's only available on pay TV platforms in Asia and the Pacific Islands. I only ever watch it for the news. On Fri/Sat/Sun it's wall to wall AFL and I have no idea why they think Asians and Islanders would be even remotely interested in watching that.

As for my VPN, I'm using NordVPN because they had a special $48/12months. ABC News24 on iview is the only channel that streams well, which is useful for a news fix. I have yet to be convinced about Seven and Nine. I'll check out unotelly though.

Sorry to digress, back to politics? :D

Back