Skip to main content

Religious (or not) affiliation

He commands the Hebrews "Thou shalt not kill," but then gives them the green light to go and massacre the population in Canaan, including women and children!

Ummm... what??

I never made it to Job, but isn't it considered one of the high points, at least purely as a piece of literature?
i like the part where moses tells them to kill everyone except the virgin girls, which they are to 'take for themselves'. nice!

I would probably call myself an atheist. I think I secretly like to believe in the power of the Universe :)
Proof aside, it was always "how could so many people believe it if it wasn't true?"
I was never really a Christian or Catholic, but it wasn't until I was 18 and moved to Indonesia for half a year that something clicked. I lived with people who whole-heartedly dedicated hours of their days to Islam, and it just really made me see that if these people were so dedicated to this religion simply because this is the one they were born into, it's the same for every other one.

On missionaries mentioned earlier, Tim Flannery's book Throwim Way Leg mentions a situation that goes something like this .....a Catholic missionary hiding behind a tree waving a large cross at a tribe of Papua New Guinean cannibals who had never seen a white man before. All in an effort to convert them to Christianity. No matter anything else, ironically comical.

Spiritual.

I was brought up Anglican but once my mother told us it was up to us to decide whether we wanted to continue with church, I dropped it and have since been Atheist.

Having said that I will be celebrating Pristmas this week. Not sure if it'll fall on Tuesday or Wednesday but it'll be a celebration regardless.

M4m63ui.jpg

I'm athiest, and have been for as long as I remember, although as a small child I probably believed in a god, as I was brought up to be Christian.

Despite that, and being sent to a Christian high school, I'm still fascinated by mythology and belief systems. Even back then I was interested, I just didn't believe that the deities existed and I didn't take the stories literally but that i think that doesn't really detract a whole lot from the value of learning about them. Not indoctrination, I mean genuine study and discussion. (I never could understand why some think they have the right to enforce belief or why they think it's even possible).

In fact, Thanks to @Kismet for this post because it's reminded me to make time to watch The Power Of Myth (which has been on my shelf for weeks).

I was brought up Anglican but once my mother told us it was up to us to decide whether we wanted to continue with church, I dropped it and have since been Atheist.

Having said that I will be celebrating Pristmas this week. Not sure if it'll fall on Tuesday or Wednesday but it'll be a celebration regardless.

M4m63ui.jpg

It's pagan ritual anyway, so have a happy celebration. :)

I'm athiest, and have been for as long as I remember, although as a small child I probably believed in a god, as I was brought up to be Christian.

Despite that, and being sent to a Christian high school, I'm still fascinated by mythology and belief systems. Even back then I was interested, I just didn't believe that the deities existed and I didn't take the stories literally but that i think that doesn't really detract a whole lot from the value of learning about them. Not indoctrination, I mean genuine study and discussion. (I never could understand why some think they have the right to enforce belief or why they think it's even possible).

In fact, Thanks to @Kismet for this post because it's reminded me to make time to watch The Power Of Myth (which has been on my shelf for weeks).

Mythology exploration is awesome and IMO gives a whole new insight as to the evolution OF "accepted as truth" Religion in this day and age. I have had some awesome discussions with Robert Alter (in case you don't know who he is..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Alter) where he and I have discussed the Epic Of Gilgamesh, even as from where Judaism was born.

One of my favourite mythologies is one little known. It's from 30000 years ago. A goddess known as Nummoh. It at it's core explains A LOT. After you ave watched the Power of the Myth, perhaps we could talk about it more.:)

I was born and raised Salvation Army. I have for my entire life been either fully involved or as is the case now more peripheral as I still have many family and friends involved in the church and yes, it is a Christian faith.

Back