Skip to main content

Halloween in Australia - Yea or Nay?

Too damn funny! None of my neighbours have died lately, as far as I know - BUT - I really, really really need to weed my garden and kill those weeds, that seem to creep up, when you never expected them to .......... Oh - and I don't do jack o'laterns - YET!!!!!

LOL

RIP - My Dad xxxx
Do the jack o'lantern! For like $10 at Coles you can get some great laughs watching the kids shit themselves or try to internally debate if your house is a safe zone. Especially if you completely jack up the pumpkin's face and add to the scary vibe. The looks on the kids' faces, especially when they're trying to suss out who has the balls to go up and ring the doorbell. I was thinking earlier that it was extremely funny to hear the different arguments for and against ringing her doorbell and now thinking back as an adult, the boys always somehow managed to talk themselves out of it.

Your dad sounds awesome. RIP xo

So, I had nine kids come this year, three groups of three. I handed out enough lollies to share and made sure they passed some on to the people who were out with them. The kids seemed really grateful to be getting treats - they all said thank-you which I always see as a good sign of parenting.

Just bothered me that I had to keep pausing the 'ranch house finale' in Scream because all of them visited in the space of about 40 minutes. You've really gotta watch that final sequence without breaks because of all the suspense.

T
Usually a few of the local kids come around our suburb. If they've made an effort at a costume then we give them some lollies but if it's just teenagers with a ACDC t-hsirt on then nah...

We just use the homebrand mixed bag of lollies from woolies - costs $2.50 but it suffices (cheapskate aren't I..? :p )
That is cheap! I had to shell out 13 US clams for a bag of chocolates.

I went to Universal Studios in Hollywood for Halloween Horror nights, that was the best time of my life. We were chased around by crazy clowns with chain saws in the dark and heaps of zombies from the Walking Dead. I love that part of Halloween in the States, the horror mazes, theme parks and being scared. So much fun, oh and I love the amazing makeup people do. I also love the celebration of All Hallows' Eve...

Ohhhh!!!! Yaaas I was over there in 2012 for Halloween and I went to this, and it was THE BEST!!! Honestly one of the greatest experiences of my life. Actually, just being in America for Halloween was a great experience. I loved seeing it being celebrated on such a mass scale, you know? And like, we have family in Vegas, and they taught me how to carve jack-o-lanterns, and I was really good at it which made me feel like my entire life was worth something hahaha. It was just magical, especially for someone who has always been a huge fan of Halloween. To see it celebrated proper... fantastic.

All I want in life is to be rich enough to have a house in the states that I can live in during October, just so I can experience true Halloween every year.

Ohhhh!!!! Yaaas I was over there in 2012 for Halloween and I went to this, and it was THE BEST!!! Honestly one of the greatest experiences of my life. Actually, just being in America for Halloween was a great experience. I loved seeing it being celebrated on such a mass scale, you know? And like, we have family in Vegas, and they taught me how to carve jack-o-lanterns, and I was really good at it which made me feel like my entire life was worth something hahaha. It was just magical, especially for someone who has always been a huge fan of Halloween. To see it celebrated proper... fantastic.

All I want in life is to be rich enough to have a house in the states that I can live in during October, just so I can experience true Halloween every year.
Omg you are my soul person, I wish the same, for a place there just for that same reason. I said to my husband I only want to go back at Halloween because it's just so great there. And it's the best experience ever and it's so hard to explain to people that have never been, especially all the mazes and the way the theme parks go into such detail. So awesome. My husband was never into that kinda stuff until I made him go, now it's all he talks about.

So weird, we were there in 2012 as well. Oh I love Vegas, it's just a theme park city. And everything is done to the minutest detail. Next year I'm on a mission to do a Jack-o-lantern, so cool you got to do one over there. And you're so lucky to have a place to stay in Vegas.

Yay!

Anything that promotes family activity and laughter in children is okay with me! We had a huge turn out in my street, and I didn't even skimp on the lollies! Cadbury all the way!!

I also think it is important that pedophiles get one day a year where they can hang out in front of a school with a bag of lollies without the fear of judgement, lynching or arrest...

Omg you are my soul person, I wish the same, for a place there just for that same reason. I said to my husband I only want to go back at Halloween because it's just so great there. And it's the best experience ever and it's so hard to explain to people that have never been, especially all the mazes and the way the theme parks go into such detail. So awesome. My husband was never into that kinda stuff until I made him go, now it's all he talks about.

So weird, we were there in 2012 as well. Oh I love Vegas, it's just a theme park city. And everything is done to the minutest detail. Next year I'm on a mission to do a Jack-o-lantern, so cool you got to do one over there. And you're so lucky to have a place to stay in Vegas.

I couldn't believe the detail the theme parks put into it, especially Universal. I mean, I had some idea, but honestly that Halloween Horror Night thing was just so overwhelmingly amazing. I felt genuine fear. The mazes were so much fun. I went to something called the Fright Dome held at Circus Circus in Vegas, and it was so intense. I believe it's in the top three scariest Halloween things in the whole of America, which is pretty cool. Utterly terrifying, but so satisfying. It was great to feel scared after having to deal and grow up with not-so-scary "scary rides" here.

Oh, that is weird! You definitely need to do a jack-o-lantern, it's so fun. I was so surprised that my cousins actually had specific jack-o-lantern carving tools... like, I had no idea there was an actual market for that, if you know what I mean. I thought everyone just used a kitchen knife or something! :tongue:

I couldn't believe the detail the theme parks put into it, especially Universal. I mean, I had some idea, but honestly that Halloween Horror Night thing was just so overwhelmingly amazing. I felt genuine fear. The mazes were so much fun. I went to something called the Fright Dome held at Circus Circus in Vegas, and it was so intense. I believe it's in the top three scariest Halloween things in the whole of America, which is pretty cool. Utterly terrifying, but so satisfying. It was great to feel scared after having to deal and grow up with not-so-scary "scary rides" here.

Oh, that is weird! You definitely need to do a jack-o-lantern, it's so fun. I was so surprised that my cousins actually had specific jack-o-lantern carving tools... like, I had no idea there was an actual market for that, if you know what I mean. I thought everyone just used a kitchen knife or something! :tongue:
Totally weird, we did the Fright Dome too and I showed my sister today the calendar we got from it just so she could see how amazing the makeup was. I was blown away by Universal, it was a last minute decision to go so I had no idea at all. We bought the VIP pass and just seeing the Walking Dead zombies, the makeup was incredible. I turned into a screaming girl that night, burying my face in my husbands jacket and boy did I scream. I love getting scared.

We also went to Madame Tussauds in Vegas, they would reopen it at 9pm till midnight and they would let a group of 5 through at a time. It was totally pitch black and one of the group got to carry a glow stick. We were with 3 African American women who were screaming even before we went in. Some of the wax statues are real, and sometimes you would feel something brush past you in the darkness.My stomach hurt so much from laughing, they were so terrified and they were falling on the floor we were trying to help them but we couldn't see. We just finished building our first house so there won't be a trip anytime soon, but gosh I'm hanging to go. I truly had no clue about the theme parks and stuff, all I knew was what I saw in movies- slutty costumes, trick or treating and celebrity parties at famous clubs... Haha.

Totally weird, we did the Fright Dome too and I showed my sister today the calendar we got from it just so she could see how amazing the makeup was. I was blown away by Universal, it was a last minute decision to go so I had no idea at all. We bought the VIP pass and just seeing the Walking Dead zombies, the makeup was incredible. I turned into a screaming girl that night, burying my face in my husbands jacket and boy did I scream. I love getting scared.

We also went to Madame Tussauds in Vegas, they would reopen it at 9pm till midnight and they would let a group of 5 through at a time. It was totally pitch black and one of the group got to carry a glow stick. We were with 3 African American women who were screaming even before we went in. Some of the wax statues are real, and sometimes you would feel something brush past you in the darkness.My stomach hurt so much from laughing, they were so terrified and they were falling on the floor we were trying to help them but we couldn't see. We just finished building our first house so there won't be a trip anytime soon, but gosh I'm hanging to go. I truly had no clue about the theme parks and stuff, all I knew was what I saw in movies- slutty costumes, trick or treating and celebrity parties at famous clubs... Haha.

Oh my god, we basically did the same trip, haha! Were you at Universal during the day before the Horror Night, or did you just go in the nighttime? Because whilst the park itself is amazing as is, they kept "building up" the story of the Horror Night throughout the day. Like, every so often they would say something like, "Oh, we're getting reports that a zombie outbreak has happened in [some place]" and those "alerts" kept getting more and more distressing until the park reopened for the Horror Night and it was all, "Oh no, the zombie outbreak has hit Universal!" It was so well done. That attention to detail is everything to me. I was absolutely enthralled. Like, I'm getting a bit teary eyed thinking about it, because I had that good of a time.

Hahaha, that's hilarious! You're definitely right though, as much as the "American media" sort of hypes up Halloween and stuff, they don't seem to address just how fucking good they are at it! I wasn't expecting even half of what I saw and experienced. It definitely isn't just slutty costumes and celebrity parties! It's essentially a "spooky" Christmas for them. So jealous!

Oh my god, we basically did the same trip, haha! Were you at Universal during the day before the Horror Night, or did you just go in the nighttime? Because whilst the park itself is amazing as is, they kept "building up" the story of the Horror Night throughout the day. Like, every so often they would say something like, "Oh, we're getting reports that a zombie outbreak has happened in [some place]" and those "alerts" kept getting more and more distressing until the park reopened for the Horror Night and it was all, "Oh no, the zombie outbreak has hit Universal!" It was so well done. That attention to detail is everything to me. I was absolutely enthralled. Like, I'm getting a bit teary eyed thinking about it, because I had that good of a time.

Hahaha, that's hilarious! You're definitely right though, as much as the "American media" sort of hypes up Halloween and stuff, they don't seem to address just how fucking good they are at it! I wasn't expecting even half of what I saw and experienced. It definitely isn't just slutty costumes and celebrity parties! It's essentially a "spooky" Christmas for them. So jealous!
Just wanted to chime in that reading yours and @Noonah19's comments really warm my heart. You GET it!!!

The attention to detail, the way people get so into it, parents playing along (and often being scared themselves) but at least full on dressing up, spending so much time making costumes and starting to think of them in like June, etc... I LOVE it!!! I never went to Horror Nights in LA - not sure why now that I think about it - but I went a few times to it at Universal Orlando and even I was blown away. And by that point I'd not only grown up around it but had started to enter that 'over it' phase. You can't help but get fully into it because they just do it so well. Americans do with all holidays and celebrations though. I don't care what anyone says... you want to see a holiday done to the max and that will warm the heart of even the most hardened cynic... spend it in the States and then get back to me.

No we on,y went at night because the year before we went to Universal and the Horror night was a last minute thing. That does sound so cool with the build up during the day. I think you summed it up perfectly with "a spooky Christmas".
And I felt so excited talking to you, because someone else had experienced it. I'm getting all hyped up, I have to go, can't next year but now I'm going to aim for 2016.

And @Mrs Butterface I understand that when you've had stuff like that it would be easy to "be over it":). Orlando is next on my list, and so is New Orleans, Canada and maybe Houston Texas. It would be awesome to be a parent and get to experience all that excitement through your child eyes. Oh and I'd love to have Christmas in New York, hopefully it's like Home Alone, lol, without the robbers.

A bit late to the party but...

I'm all for it. I hope it becomes more mainstream and accepted here in Australia in the future.

I really feel that it probably will soon enough. It's already slowly getting there.

Dont get kids at my place I live in flat. They don't knock on my door.
Don't find the whole thing much interest expect for the fact that lollies are cheap in the shops and I eat all I buy myself.
Aren't we becoming to Americanised and they shouldn't be the country we should aspire to be .
Also we don't follow the trick part of the trick or treat with kids expecting candy as the treat. I'm not sure how it would go if I answered the door dressed as Rolf Harris though

A bit late to the party but...

I'm all for it. I hope it becomes more mainstream and accepted here in Australia in the future.

I really feel that it probably will soon enough. It's already slowly getting there.

It's big where I live, but women dressing up as "slutty - insert whatever x you want to" is the norm most weekends anyway.
We had well over 100 parties/groups come a knocking on Friday Night and my youngest went out to T or T.

At the school where my husband teaches, they got into the mood too, so it was a "free dress" day..something the teachers got in on as well. He was A Mad Scientist (he teaches Physics).. so it was fitting.

I've never dressed up for Halloween, except for this year because my birthday fell in that week so I celebratwd on the Friday which happened to be Halloween. I dressed up as Ms. Freddy Kreuger, latex face and all. It was fun but it's taken me 21 years to dress up so I wouldn't say it's something we celebrate, although I do remember running around the streets as a kid knocking on doors for lollies. Don't think we ever got much though, many people don't like Halloween in Aus

I've never dressed up for Halloween, except for this year because my birthday fell in that week so I celebratwd on the Friday which happened to be Halloween. I dressed up as Ms. Freddy Kreuger, latex face and all. It was fun but it's taken me 21 years to dress up so I wouldn't say it's something we celebrate, although I do remember running around the streets as a kid knocking on doors for lollies. Don't think we ever got much though, many people don't like Halloween in Aus

That's cool though and HAPPY(belated) BIRTHDAY!! :)

Back