Skip to main content

Surly to return as a parrot?

Believe it or not... I think I like the sounds of a parrot more than I do a fish. (Not that I ever liked Surly to begin with.)

But we'll see what happens...

@Xast Your thinking is correct. Check out point 2 in an edition of TV Week below:

09061201_zps3719ca82.jpg

Not the biggest fan of Surly, but I knew he'd be back in some form - he's popular with children, I suppose. I'm glad they've changed him into something a little less stupid than a talking drain that has the image of a fish superimposed onto it post-production at least.

I still think they should have turned him into a talking toilet last year, say that he died and was flushed down, and now his spirit inhabits the bowl.

Having him reincarnated as a parrot for this season would have made more sense if he was shown to be dead last season, though it looks like this parrot will be presented as a completely different character.

Not the biggest fan of Surly, but I knew he'd be back in some form - he's popular with children, I suppose.

See, he's based on the Tree of Temptation from Big Brother UK (hence Surly's awful fake-British accent), which was great. It was literally just a nondescript tree in the back yard who'd catch people while they were smoking on their own and give them missions. It's not that the idea of having a "character" is shitty or childish in itself, it's just that Australia hasn't copied it very well.

Same goes for this parrot, if it turns out to have Surly's voice. The Tree got chopped down but came back as a wooden chest of drawers in the next series, which made sense. But Surly turning into a parrot does not.

Observe:

Funnily enough, the same year as the chest-of-drawers Tree, we had a fortune-telling machine (think "Big") called Bob Righter, that I think the US sort-of stole, and........... a much-hyped parrot that I think was only used for one task and more-or-less forgotten about.

Maybe someone got mixed up while they were looking for ideas. ;)

tumblr_mqpyhsLvDy1sct1vao1_500.gif

Seriously though I hate the talking animal thing. It's so cringeworthy. Cringe. Cringe. Cringe. Big Brother is not a little kid show at all and that demographic shouldn't be awake at 8.40 on a school night. I can't stand Surly for a third time (in parrot form, any kind of form really). One season is ok but to continue this for a third year??? Haven't we grown up from this and anyway the housemates know to expect a Surly character. It's boring. :(

See, he's based on the Tree of Temptation from Big Brother UK (hence Surly's awful fake-British accent), which was great. It was literally just a nondescript tree in the back yard who'd catch people while they were smoking on their own and give them missions. It's not that the idea of having a "character" is shitty or childish in itself, it's just that Australia hasn't copied it very well.

Same goes for this parrot, if it turns out to have Surly's voice. The Tree got chopped down but came back as a wooden chest of drawers in the next series, which made sense. But Surly turning into a parrot does not.

Observe:

Funnily enough, the same year as the chest-of-drawers Tree, we had a fortune-telling machine (think "Big") called Bob Righter, that I think the US sort-of stole, and........... a much-hyped parrot that I think was only used for one task and more-or-less forgotten about.

Maybe someone got mixed up while they were looking for ideas. ;)

Good old Davina McCaw.

I'm betting on a flamingo to replace Surly.
yep, exactly what im thinking, but i think ill make a firmer guess once ive seen the house, depends where theyre placed...

yep, exactly what im thinking, but i think ill make a firmer guess once ive seen the house, depends where theyre placed...
The minute I saw all the birds in the house I was certain Surly would come back as a bird. Adding to this is a news article which states "A FINAL warning: Beware of the Parrot" Thoughts?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...-is-unique-on-tv/story-fn8yvfst-1227049979407
Strong feeling it's a parrot, not a flamingo.

oh yeah, forgot about that article :\

its a shame, every single fucking HM will be thinking "new surly" as soon as they see it.

grrrrrrrr talking fish now a bloody talking parrot when will alex stop watching
play school and grow up
give us some adult BB not some garbage recycled bbuk crap each year
i want tits lots of tits lol and a bit of nudity to spice it up
alex's version is like watching mental paitence threw a glass window

I liked Surly. I thought he had a little charm. We have nothing that gives individual missions in the U.S.. I think in Canada they have Marsha the Moose.

Back