Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

Here is a clip that is a witty take on our slang. With illustrations.
Was a hit in the 1980s

Austin Tayshus: AUSTRALIANA
[video=youtube_share;-EUpg9JLzzE]http://youtu.be/-EUpg9JLzzE[/video]

Austin Tayshus: AUSTRALIANA
[video=youtube_share;-EUpg9JLzzE]http://youtu.be/-EUpg9JLzzE[/video]

Bumps from the stupid corner ad...

Another quick question from a US fan....what do you mean when you say " I've lost the plot "...are you confused? or mad and done with the situation? or something else entirely?

Also, in the US, pigs in the blanket are also a main dish prepared with ground beef and rice mixed together and wrapped inside softened cabbage leaves(by boiling a few minutes).. Then layered on top of each other in a big roaster and covered with tomato sauce... then cook in oven ...so so so good
lost the plot = gone nutty, insane

We always called the cabbage things you're describing "cabbage rolls". They're an Eastern European dish and were a massive staple in our house. You just reminded me that I haven't made them in quite awhile! :)

We use a lot of the same words here in South africa Biscuit,nappy etc but I did have a friendly disagreement with one of my Aussie friends because she calls her mother Mum and I call mine Mom..she says Mom is American and I have always called her that

I call mine mummy, and so does all my family members. My cousin told me in SA they say DMC= deep meaningful conversation, whereas here we call it a D&M.

I call mine mummy, and so does all my family members. My cousin told me in SA they say DMC= deep meaningful conversation, whereas here we call it a D&M.

I think I called her that as a child or was it Mommy...it depends on where you go in South africa for your slang.Cape town has way different slang from Jozi or Durban

What is that accent some American TV presenters have/use/share; like the presenters on Entertainment Tonight type shitty shows????
Most of those gossip shows people are gushy/icky. Are they regarded as low status?

It's gushy, and strange 'r' sounds, the r's are sort of pronounced/rolled/gushy, it's a syrupy sickly kind of way of speaking I find really off putting, garish??

also favourite - favorite

Australian spelling is as per Oxford Dictionary, this is so for legal interpretations, University papers, everything as far as I know.
But Macquarie Dictionary is the Aussie dictionary and supposedly the official source for spelling - have never used it myself.
Wiki says Macquarie is used at Uni, but I went to a few and all used the Oxford as standard.

I am from Springwood, and just found out that that fire started in my street, in the patch of bush I used to play He-Man in, and nearly burnt down both my primary and high schools. Both of my brother's best men have lost their houses... feeling a long way from home. Still love a sunburnt country, hope yous are safe.

Sorry to hear that [MENTION=35069]Winterbourne[/MENTION]. Hope the rest of your friends and your family will be ok. We had some burning off about 20km away from us the last two nights and with the easterly wind coming in, late afternoon the smoke carried over our way. Just reminded me again of the awful smell of smoke and how ominous it feels when that smell starts to envelope us. Thinking of all those in the affected areas and praying for them all to be safe. Not really looking forward to summer again.

(the easterly wind is the wind coming off the desert into WA - usually starts around this time of the year and gusts and howls most of the summer through, towards the coast and it can be very, very strong coming off the Darling Scarp)

lost the plot = gone nutty, insane

We always called the cabbage things you're describing "cabbage rolls". They're an Eastern European dish and were a massive staple in our house. You just reminded me that I haven't made them in quite awhile! :)

Haven't made them since year 9 cooking class. They were yum! **runs off to find her Cooking for Young Australians Cook book....**

Are u guys talking about sarma. Croatian-serbian dish. With rice and mince stuffed in pickled cabbage.

I finally found a word I had seen and didn't know what it meant. I thought it started with an h but it wasn't.

The word is "larrikan"
Never heard that before- is the meaning the same as "bogan"

I finally found a word I had seen and didn't know what it meant. I thought it started with an h but it wasn't.

The word is "larrikan"
Never heard that before- is the meaning the same as "bogan"

Think it means a joker. Funny person. Like Tim. Id call him a larrikin

Found a couple more

" too hard basket"
"Lost (his) bottle" ? Is that one or did they mean an actual water bottle.

And "centre link" is that welfare? Unemployment? Health benefits?

Too hard basket. - deal with it later
Lost his bottle. - they meant an actual water bottle
Centrelink. - Welfare

Sorry to hear that [MENTION=35069]Winterbourne[/MENTION]. Hope the rest of your friends and your family will be ok. We had some burning off about 20km away from us the last two nights and with the easterly wind coming in, late afternoon the smoke carried over our way. Just reminded me again of the awful smell of smoke and how ominous it feels when that smell starts to envelope us. Thinking of all those in the affected areas and praying for them all to be safe. Not really looking forward to summer again.

(the easterly wind is the wind coming off the desert into WA - usually starts around this time of the year and gusts and howls most of the summer through, towards the coast and it can be very, very strong coming off the Darling Scarp)

Thanks mate. Everything is as good as it can be, I guess, when your hometown just burnt down... everyone is okay, battlin' on. Good luck yerself for the summer.

after talking about pigs in the blanket...actually we honestly just call them "pigs"...I decided to make them too... I think its pretty amazing we can all decide to prepare the same dish, a world apart....My husband was SO happy

Back