Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

I was having this discussion online recently with a few Americans recently re: the slang terms over here. "Bogan" is impossible to explain unless you've been here. It's not a redneck - I really just think of Western Sydney which obviously means nothing to anyone outside of Australia. It's a very specific cultural stereotype.

Exactly--there are bits and pieces of American stereotypes you can use for comparison, but nothing is quite right. But you know one when you see one, basically.

If they were talking about chips (fries) then it was probably sour cream.

It probably was Sour Cream! That bothered me for weeks!! I was so certain it was Mayo and then I heard them talk about Mayo, I was like Damn, I failed at this one!! Sour cream was my second choice though, so not bad..

lol this is awesome - I love this.

It's funny, was watching a UK show the other day and they were talking about a 'motor' and I was confused because to us a motor is the engine of the car whereas they were talking about the whole car. Then it got me thinking if that was an English thing overall or just a regional thing.

I know that we call different things here in QLD than they do in other states for instance.

Like we call a swimsuit 'togs' and other states call them other things.

I just love how we shorten almost everything.... like yesterday when Boog and Tim were feeding the magpie, I heard Boog say 'here' but the way she said it made me think that she was using the shortened version of 'here you are' (when you give someone something) because it sounded like 'here', but it had that infliction on the end like 'here-ya' (hard to explain unless you know what I'm talking about)

Also...
arvo: afternoon, salvo: salvation army, bottle-o: liqueur store, servo: service station/petrol station, devo: devastated.

I'm sure there's many more

I feel like this belongs here

[video=youtube;1cDFT-r4Fu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cDFT-r4Fu8[/video]

What's funny about living here is how a lot of Aussie slang and speaking style has become totally natural to me, but some things are just blocked. Like I don't think I'll ever be able to call it a "doona."

This thread is so interesting...."jumper" is hard for me to wrap my brain around because in the US it means a little girl's dress. I just cant bring myself to think of Drew wearing a jumper. lol

Happy to see this thread, back when Ben was in the house he said Tim asked him to hang his duna?...Also why does it seem its such a bad thing to 'play the game'? Isn't that the whole point? Seems dishonest to go into a Big Brother house and say you are NOT there to play a game...

Edit, ok I see two posts up I spelled it wrong, its doona, but what is it?

This thread is so interesting...."jumper" is hard for me to wrap my brain around because in the US it means a little girl's dress. I just cant bring myself to think of Drew wearing a jumper. lol
Hahaha!! I know!!

A couple more clothing related ones

Wind Cheater= Sweatshirt
Tracky Daks=Sweat pants

Happy to see this thread, back when Ben was in the house he said Tim asked him to hang his duna?...Also why does it seem its such a bad thing to 'play the game'? Isn't that the whole point? Seems dishonest to go into a Big Brother house and say you are NOT there to play a game...

Doona is the thick quilt/blanket that goes on the bed. :)

Hey I noticed in the live feed thread some of our overseas viewers did not know what a rissole was. For me they way I make them I use this stuff
sausage mince.jpg

I add onion
Breadcrumbs
Egg and flour.

Also I feel as though BBAU is going to better for tourism than any stupid ad we can come up with (where the bloody hell are you).

What's funny about living here is how a lot of Aussie slang and speaking style has become totally natural to me, but some things are just blocked. Like I don't think I'll ever be able to call it a "doona."

No doona's for me either! Just like I can't say "to MAH to". It has to be "to MAY to." Even after 15 years. ;)

Hey I noticed in the live feed thread some of our overseas viewers did not know what a rissole was. For me they way I make them I use this stuff
View attachment 34343

I add onion
Breadcrumbs
Egg and flour.

Also I feel as though BBAU is going to better for tourism than any stupid ad we can come up with (where the bloody hell are you).

That's how my dad makes rissoles too.

Happy to see this thread, back when Ben was in the house he said Tim asked him to hang his duna?...

I think it's the comforter?? I gotta say "Doona" sounds cuter!!

what wont you be able to call a doona....lol....i need the rest of the thought please....

So a rissole is like a little meatloaf patty. Sounds delicious. I put catsup in mine as well.... And any candy is a lolly, not just lollipops.
Thanks everyone.

How I make rissoles is combine together beef mince, torn up bread crust, onion, herbs, egg to bind.
Yummy - but I hate making them because I hate the feel of my hand squishing raw meat lol.

And ummm.. one things I always wanted to know from people in that area of the US - what are grits?

Back