Skip to main content

Books to Buy

[MENTION=37147]Saxo[/MENTION] you and I read 100% the same books. The Kingkiller chronicles are fabulous. And I too am waiting for the third one. Seriously if you liked all that please read Jo Abercrombie series The First Law. It's a bit brutal for some but I think it's amazing.

I'll definitely check it out! I don't mind brutal so long as it's a great read!

I a JUST started reading Robin Hobbs the Assassins Apprentice...it's been sitting on my pile forever and finally I'm there

How you finding it so far? I hope you like it more than I did! I gave it a go directly after reading the Kingkiller series so there's a chance my perspective was blighted by unconsciously comparing the two novels in my head. Qvothe is a damn hard protagonist to beat!

If I couldn't read I would be devastated!

My faves ATM are the Odd
Thomas books by Dean Koontz, the In Death series by JD Robb, Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta books (since she got her groove back), and Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.

And agreed Kxk. Stephanie Plum books make me laugh my ass off. :D

Is Patricia Cornwall good again??? I read her stuff Tonks (like 20 years ago) and loved for ages but then they went crap. Or maybe I just ditched crime stuff for a bit. If you like crime I recommend Jo Nesbo books

I'll definitely check it out! I don't mind brutal so long as it's a great read!!

It's up there as one of my top 5 favourite fantasy series so I hope you enjoy. Another good series is The Night Angle trilogy by Brent Weeks (warning: Brent Weeks does another trilogy that isn't so good so if you go hunting for it make sure you get The Night Angel ones ;)

How you finding it so far? I hope you like it more than I did! I gave it a go directly after reading the Kingkiller series so there's a chance my perspective was blighted by unconsciously comparing the two novels in my head. Qvothe is a damn hard protagonist to beat!

I'm only about 10 pages in and struggling to focus on it to be honest. It's not grabbing me but I haven't read a book for about 2 months now which for me is bloody weird to go a week without reading something ....so my brain could just be having some pause time in general

Is Patricia Cornwall good again??? I read her stuff Tonks (like 20 years ago) and loved for ages but then they went crap. Or maybe I just ditched crime stuff for a bit. If you like crime I recommend Jo Nesbo books
The latest two I read were very good. (Scarpetta Factor and Red Mist, if memory serves) She definitely lost it for awhile.

I'm reading the book thief (again). The movie is out sometime in November. I loved the book so hope the movie lives up to it.

I'm reading the book thief (again). The movie is out sometime in November. I loved the book so hope the movie lives up to it.

The trailer looks great! Minus the horrible voice over though. Can't wait to find out who Death is!

Have you read The Messenger? I loved it just as much as the The Book Thief.

Reading the Mortal Instruments series right now..
Hard to put down, better than I thougt they'd be! :)

The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb - I had this reccomended to me by someone who also loved The Kingkiller series but eh, it didn't do much for me. There were no real surprises and I found it hard to connect with the lead character. I didn't even both reading the next book in the series. It gets a LOT of praise though and it is - objectively - very well written so it might be worth a go..

Just to update you I have given up on this and moved on. Started a new fantasy book called 'The Painted Man' which is book one of the Demon Cycle by Peter Brett ...so far so good.

The trailer looks great! Minus the horrible voice over though. Can't wait to find out who Death is!

Have you read The Messenger? I loved it just as much as the The Book Thief.

I haven't read the messenger. After the book thief, i should have committed and read all of markus zusaks books. but things happen, life gets busy and i just forget and then a new book comes along. I will add it to the list though. I actually was going to start reading 'the fault in our stars' as a good friend recommended it. Although the local library said I'd have to wait atleast 4 weeks. It is in loan for that long. But once I'm done with the book thief I will borrow the messenger instead.
[MENTION=34873]Chump[/MENTION], it is a brilliant book.
"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right"

[MENTION=35834]Sweet_Geek[/MENTION] you won't be disappointed, it's such a good book!

[MENTION=34873]Chump[/MENTION] you know a book is going to be be great when it starts with "Here is a small fact. You are going to die." not to mention the ending quote "I am haunted by humans".

I also recommend The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey.

[MENTION=35834]Sweet_Geek[/MENTION] you won't be disappointed, it's such a good book!

[MENTION=34873]Chump[/MENTION] you know a book is going to be be great when it starts with "Here is a small fact. You are going to die." not to mention the ending quote "I am haunted by humans".

I also recommend The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey.

I wholeheartedly second your recommendation re Shadow of the wind. Have also read a second in that series and have another to go (Angel something). Great writer!!

me too! i didnt anticipate getting so into it! apparently they have halted production on the second movie though :(

Really! I was wondering if it'd get a second one. Looks like it'll go the way of I am Number Seven and Beautiful Creatures.

Really! I was wondering if it'd get a second one. Looks like it'll go the way of I am Number Seven and Beautiful Creatures.

ohhhh never mind me! theyve picked it back up again but wont be beginning it until next year sometime, i just googled it again and they announced that last week! its apparently going to have a smaller budget so if it flops it wont be as bad. i was surprised the first one wasnt a huge success because everywhere i went whilst it was in theatres the books were completely sold out! glad jamie campbell bower will be back in his all black leathers yummmy hhaha

I LOVE Jasper Jones. Have you read Christos Tsiolkas' new novel, Barracuda?

Back