Skip to main content

what would you change to get ratings back?

I just want to see them talking! All the normal convo's we used to get in the old days! Instead of only seeing their reaction to Sonia on the screen or them picking the shopping!

It seems to be about everything BUT their convo's!

I feel like they manipulate what is shown so much .... Keep it organic and natural. No heavy editing!

Make BB how it used to be .... Just a group of strangers living in a house together. No more twists every 5 minutes!

Make Saturday showdown a fear factor style eating contest, so they have to eat disgusting things like bugs and reptile penises.

Uplate.

Live streaming.

The no talking thing would be funny for the first 5 minutes, then incredibly boring.. There would be nothing to watch all week.

And the celebrity thing? I don't think they have the budget for that! Maybe they could afford infamous people instead.. Like Ricky Nixon, Kim duthie, Corey worthington (again) and other shit stains of society..that'd actually make good tv.

You need to realise.

Mondays show was at 8.10pm, which finished at 10.10pm.

Prime time is 7pm onwards.

Ch 9 shot themselves in the foot by putting Bog Brother on this late at night.

And so the ratings have dropped off. I feel ratings will be better tonight.

Yes, Editing of the show could be better.

Well X Factor is not on tonight. So of course the ratings will be better

- They need to devote more resources to pinpointing whatever story arcs are occurring in the house so that we can follow them as they unfold naturally.
- If they do this, they shouldn't need to focus so much on interventions and gimmicks. Interventions are not interesting anymore because we don't know who the housemates are, and consequently don't give a fuck how they will react to a talking fish.
- Scale all Daily Shows back to an hour in length. The excessively bloated mid-week Daily Shows that we have had since Nine took over are a major reason why BB interferes so much in the house to pad out the footage.
- Restructure the schedule so that the footage is more evenly distributed throughout the week. Add half an hour to Friday's Daily show, and most importantly, add a Sunday Daily Show at 6:30. The housemates cannot be expected to postpone any interesting character development until early in the week because it doesn't suit Nine's schedule, and consequently we will have an uneven portrayal of events in the house which is incredibly hard to follow. Events we see on Thursdays might not make any sense because we never got to see the build-up which occurred in the house last Friday and was edited out to cram three days worth of footage into Monday's eviction show. Does anyone know of any other Big Brother anywhere in the world where the schedule has been so twisted to suit the network's demands?

You said it all. Now what's left is that Channel 9 read your post and apply it :)

Everything Someone said - however I really just want Uplate and Uncut.

Does anyone remember Tim saying afterwards how he knew how the daily shows were planned and used it to his advantage, things like his face to face with Dean he said he made sure they were sitting outside in full view of certain cameras etc. There is no way you could do that now cos who knows what format the daily show follows!

As a re-read what I've just written, the more I come to realise that Nine is probably more to blame than the producers and editors. I would imagine that the editors are having a hell of a time trying to navigate such a schedule.

Yeah, I definitely blame Nine when it comes to this years fuck ups. Although, I feel the production team should fight more, if they aren't already.

Also, I don't see why it's so hard for them to do something like Uplate. It's literally one of the easiest programs to make.

This show production should be the easiest job in the world if they got the casting right. Put 14 people in a House with no distractions and let the cameras roll. 9's production team have lost it trying to make too many things happen distracting the HM's from what the game truly is "Each other". If they're constantly worried about what Big Brothers doing to them rather then what they're doing to themselves and each other the idea of the show is totally lost. Channel 9 should be just giving us the story arcs between the different HM's, thats it. Just have one main task for the week and then leave the god dam HM's alone. 10 got it, why can't 9.

This show production should be the easiest job in the world if the got the casting right. Put 14 people in a House with no distractions and let the cameras roll. 9's production team have lost it trying to make too many things happen distracting the HM's from what the game truly is "Each other". If they're constantly worried about what Big Brothers doing to them rather then what they're doing to themselves and each other the idea of the show is totally lost. Channel 9 should be just giving us the story arks between the different HM's, thats it. Just have one main task for the week and then leave the god dam HM's alone. 10 got it, why can't 9.

Hear hear! Couldn't have put it better myself even if I tried!

i think we've got a better chance of nine somehow cancelling the x-factor than bring back uplate!

You need to realise.

Mondays show was at 8.10pm, which finished at 10.10pm.

Prime time is 7pm onwards.

Ch 9 shot themselves in the foot by putting Bog Brother on this late at night.
Why is Australian TV constantly allowed to get away with stunts like this - Mondays show was scheduled for 8-9.30pm wasn't it, and ends up airing from 8.12pm until after 10pm. That's why they lose viewers - people tune in for the show and it's not there. All this tactic does is artificially lift BB's viewers because the first 12 minutes of the overnight rating is actually for a completely different show.

As for how to up the ratings - no stunts required really. It's more the little things they're getting wrong in the editing rather than the bigger production decisions.

The 7/8 daily show, or whatever you would call it, is perhaps the worst piece of edited television I may have ever laid eyes on.

There was no flow of narrative. No humor. No emotion. The timeline was all over the place, reaching back to Ben and Tim swapping clothes five or six days prior?

If I were tuning into this show for the first time, I would have no idea what is going on.

I've been a viewer for years, and I *still* have no idea what is going on.

Dear editors, it's pretty simple. The daily show shows what happened during the waking hours of the prior day. Save the cutesy packages for Confidential. That's why it's there. Let people observe. Big Brother is a voyeuristic experience at its core. This is why you have the clamor for a legitimate live feed.

The stories will be there. If they aren't, have "bandits" sneak in overnight and steal the food. Better yet, have them relocate it on the halfway house side where they are not allowed to share with the luxury house. You want drama, give people food that they cannot prepare, nor keep fresh.. and force the others to witness this while resigned to staples.

This is not rocket science. There are over 10 years of material from over 10 different nations to mine for ideas. There's a reason the formula works. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel, give up, and replace it with an apple crate.

I so agree - it adds a layer that is currently missing for the real fans like us. Even if it was only a few nights a week!!! Please Chan 9!

They should realize that a lot of people r working longer hours atm and they r going to be competing against a lot of election crap over the next month or so, Uplate would be a good distraction and will expand the audience for the show

The timeline was all over the place, reaching back to Ben and Tim swapping clothes five or six days prior?
Save the cutesy packages for Confidential. That's why it's there.

that's exactly what happened, except you couldn't tell it was confidential because it wasn't branded at all and was just a whole bunch of other bits and pieces from the week that didn't fit into their respective daily show with no narration to tell viewers what's happening.

Back