Skip to main content

Reaction to Jill Meagher murder

P

:pp

Any death is tragic. Murder is horrendous.

Would Brunswick have reacted the way it did if Jill wasn't so pretty? Seems to me she was a pinup.

If the victim was say 42 years old, overweight with ezcema, do you think 30K would have marched? I really don't think so.

Prostitute murders, and there are many, get practically zero press and very few police resources.

I think it didn't hurt she worked for a national broadcaster so it got her story out there. What is captivating is that she was doing what so many 29 year olds have done before. I can relate, so probably can 90% of the population over 18. Who hasn't walked home alone after a few drinks? Said hello to a random on the street? That is what is captivating- the fact that she could have been me, my friends, my relatives.

I've had 2 sisters attacked.

It's a reaction you have, you just want to shove most men off a cliff and reach out to women, and feel part of something much better - you know the real human race not animals.
This hit a lot of people where it hurts, women & girls are so vulnerable, and just about everyone knows somebody that has had a close escape or been a victim of some kind of violence.

It's the husband I can't get out of my mind, those images of him sleepless having spent the night searching frantic, his heartbreak was palpable.

Brunswick and surrounds - lots of those residents were born there, this is a stain they want to diminish with something positive

The fact they were new to this country made it so sad, they seem more vulnerable and need of comfort

I think it was more because she seemed like a normal everyday woman with a life that had so much potential. The CCTV footage sparked an awe of mystery about it too. I think when something like this happens to "everyday" people the public immediately relate to it as there's a fear that it could happen to them.

True... and I guess the unfolding of events, so well publicised as you say Megan, helped.

I had a friend gang raped and murdered in Vancouver. She named her attackers before she died but her family insisted she emmolated (set herself on fire), raped herself and broke her own jaw. She was very beautiful too, a model, but after her family made the claims, as she was muslim she became a pinup "why did this beautiful girl kill herself?".

She didn't.

Her family wanted to conceal she had been sexually abused by male relatives.

Pam RIP.

OMG that's awful.

These kind of random attacks seemed to be more common a long time ago, seemed common as I was growing up and less so now???
I don't know if it's not as common, is it? Have women just got better at protecting themselves?

I know my older sister's attack happened when I was a kid, and it seemed to happen more back then. She fought for her life, got away after breaking her tooth, same night next suburb he movbed on and killed the next victim.
My younger sister, was gang raped, and dumped and left for dead - she has never really recovered.

Any death is tragic. Murder is horrendous.

Would Brunswick have reacted the way it did if Jill wasn't so pretty? Seems to me she was a pinup.

If the victim was say 42 years old, overweight with ezcema, do you think 30K would have marched? I really don't think so.

Prostitute murders, and there are many, get practically zero press and very few police resources.

I thought I was the only one feeling the same way. I figure though that if it gets people talking about the vulnerability of women and sexual assult then it is probably a good thing. Nothing can bring back this lovely lady however if some small consolation for her family is increased public awarness and love from the community then it is I guess I had better shut up and get on the bandwagon:p

OMG that's awful.

These kind of random attacks seemed to be more common a long time ago, seemed common as I was growing up and less so now???
I don't know if it's not as common, is it? Have women just got better at protecting themselves?

I know my older sister's attack happened when I was a kid, and it seemed to happen more back then. She fought for her life, got away after breaking her tooth, same night next suburb he movbed on and killed the next victim.
My younger sister, was gang raped, and dumped and left for dead - she has never really recovered.

Unbelievable. What a horrific thing to happen to not only your sisters but also your whole family. I am so, so sorry.

Yeah, it's been a very, very long time so our wounds are not raw.
6 girls in our family wonder if 1 in 3 being attacked is a common statistic. We have allways looked on the positive side, we are lucky they survived.

OMG that's awful.

That's so awful. I'm sorry.

At least your older sister's attacker was put away I hope. The target age is 14-18. Huge majority of rapes occur at that age range. 1 in 3 women is the est. issued by sex assault orgs. I think it's higher.

So how many men have raped? Is it 1 in 10, 1 in 20? Nobody dares ask that question.

It was very frustrating for me and and my friends with the news/current affairs running stories of muslim/jihad suicides when this poor girl had already told the cops what happened to her and who did it. The community wanted to believe it was suicide.

Did anyone read the article DS posted in the in the news thread?.. Heads will roll after the court case.

None of these bastards are ever given long enough sentences. They get released to fuck up other innocent lives.

And yeah unfortunately if she was from a poor area or a prostitute this would have Been a cold case, like so many before it.

anyone ever been to the mako website, you can see there the bullshit sentences these creeps get and the trail of victims they leave behind.

I only found out about the mako website after my friends daughters school teacher was on there. He was listed On there but still able to teach and go after more girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure even mentioning a persons previous crimes can affect the outcome of a case, best you delete that first bit.

Is that just state based?

DS stuff is still there.

Can I be prosecuted?

Is it any worse than what's going round the rest of the net.

Am I able to refer to the post,without the run down?

I'll fix it to be a bit more ambiguous

Should be cool if it's public domain. I think the issue with the FB sites is that it could affect a jury. Surely he's pleading guilty anyway having led the cops to the grave and will plea out.

everyone is hating on the media for playing it up but i think its a bit of a "perfect storm" situation, and to be honest i have felt absolutely astonished and heartbroken for her husband and family and i dont know why. you cant help how you feel and i have heard and read about a lot of horrible things in the news.

my opinion however blunt is that shes pretty, young and white. she works in the media and doesnt appear to have any faults as such. shes not a druggy, didnt do anything wrong/bad that lead to her death.

also the fact that this missing persons WAS a random attack, right near her home. people had spoken to her moments before she vanished and there was cctv.

lots of people go missing but most of them are ill, on drugs, or are purposely just not wanting to be found. im not saying all missing cases, but most of them are different circumstances and different issues involved. in Jill's case it was obvious someone did something and there was foul play involved from the start. in other cases there is doubt as to what is going on.

so basically a really shocking case, a very pretty lady and a strong 'marketing' campaign put forward by everyone trying to look for her and the police actually asking for people to take notice.

Back