Skip to main content

Would a gay showmance work/ever happen?

Aaand with statements like this, you're relinquishing any semblance of a valid argument you could hope to have. Calling aversion a biological impulse tells me you never studied Science past Year 11. It's a psychological impulse actually - and they are biologically wired to habit, not genetics. The pride you take in your phobia is what's really concerning.

Sexuality is instinctive at a biological level, yes. But are you aroused at the sight of two hetersexuals kissing? No. So should you be 'instinctively' uncomfortable at the sight of two gays kissing?

You're pretty much beyond help at this point because it seems your somewhat of a contrarian who likes to take a different view - you're proud of your phobia so simply exposing yourself to gay affection is obviously out the question. Children growing up with the TV of today won't have the same problem you do because they're more acclimatised to seeing gay PDA, thankfully. Hopefully Big Brother can join the ranks of those shows sooner than later. :)

Call it whatever you want, it's neither here nor there.

The crux of the matter is I don’t choose to be attracted to the opposite sex or the type of girl that I go for lookswise. Not that I’m aware of anyway; it’s all inherent I believe . By the same token I don’t have any control on what I find nauseating and the physical responses associated with them such as fear of heights, seafood, fluids excreted by the human body etc..

You on the other hand seem pretty confident that these responses are not totally involuntarily on my part and that there’s at some level a deliberate decision by me to respond in that manner. If that’s case than maybe some form of hypnotherapy is on the cards to rid myself of it these phobias because I genuinely don’t remember ever having a choice in the matter.

You know what I would personally love to see? I'd love to see the reverse of a Drully situation. A straight girl who enters into a lesbian dalliance whilst in the house and questions her sexuality. I'd like to say whilst in a hetero relationship on the outside but I suppose that would be condoning cheating?

... Or of course a straight guy discovering he is gay.

Now you just wrote the script for them. :p

I'd love to watch any kind of homosexual romance in the BB house, providing PG to my 9yo daughter, should she need any. :cool:

The crux of the matter is I don’t choose to be attracted to the opposite sex or the type of girl that I go for lookswise. Not that I’m aware of anyway; it’s all inherent I believe . By the same token I don’t have any control on what I find nauseating and the physical responses associated with them such as fear of heights, seafood, fluids excreted by the human body etc..

You on the other hand seem pretty confident that these responses are not totally involuntarily on my part and that there’s at some level a deliberate decision by me to respond in that manner. If that’s case than maybe some form of hypnotherapy is on the cards to rid myself of it these phobias because I genuinely don’t remember ever having a choice in the matter.

Drop it you two. Febeheh is being a bit disparaging, because he/she feels you have been disparaging to his/her tribe. But he/she isn't advocating that you take any corrective action.

Neither are you advocating that anyone should cater to your preferences, am I right?

Alls I'm saying is I know plenty of people who were homophobic and averse to gays before they realised they were friends / related to one (i.e. me). I still can't believe how easygoing my brother is when I bring partners home considering we once even had a conversation about BBUK having a gay relationship and he vehemently argued 'who would ever want to watch two gays on TV?'.

I never said your aversion was voluntary, I'm just saying it's probably one of those things where a bit of exposure to it will eventually make you not even bat an eye to it.

BACK ON TOPIC NOW ANYWAY

[video=youtube;a2b4Z4K6bA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2b4Z4K6bA4[/video]

I can't believe how different the times were as early as 2006!

Just because you don't consciously choose it doesn't mean it's inherent. You're trying to make a connection between things that have nothing to do with one another. Save yourself some dignity and stop while you're ahead.

Again, choice =/= inherence. They are literally on two different spectrums. Many things that are socially conditioned in us are not inherent, but we exhibit them nonetheless. You are a prime example.

i myself am also a member of the lgbt community and i used to live in the thick of it in bloody newtown, briefly. It was pretty hard to escape same-sex pdas there, let me tell you! So i am used to it and it doesn't make me uncomfortable, but i have no interest in seeing couples kiss. Far out, just the other day a couple was making out on the escalator in front of me and wouldn't let me pass... Are you freaking kidding me?

/rant

newtown represent!

My 2 cents. Personally, I am not a fan of PDAs at all. If I saw two gay people making out it probably would make me uncomfortable tbh, but it would have nothing to do with their sexuality. It is only just occurring to me now that I may have projected this in the past and I really hope it was never interpreted as homophobia. It would be exactly the same with straight people, its just something I don't want to see. People making out, that is, not gay people.

I myself am also a member of the LGBT community AND I used to live in the thick of it in bloody Newtown, briefly. It was pretty hard to escape same-sex PDAs there, let me tell you! So I am used to it and it doesn't make me uncomfortable, but I have no interest in seeing couples kiss. Far out, just the other day a couple was making out on the escalator in front of me and wouldn't let me pass... are you freaking kidding me?

/rant
Yeah I feel like it's over the top when any sort of couple does that.
I feel like I'm sitting in their lounge room or something and shouldn't be there lol.

It's a product of what you viewed other people saying growing up, it isn't physiological or whatever.
And to be honest it indicates that you aren't relaxed with your sexuality enough to be unaffected by two people kissing.
I wonder, if you get a massage....do you insist on a girl doing it? What about a doctor that has to do a physical exam, same thing are you uncomfortable with a male doctor doing that?

newtown represent!

Haha I haven't lived there in years. I was there on the weekend however for the Newtown festival and realised I actually kind of miss living there, even though at the time I always felt I was nowhere hip enough. Who knows, I might move back next year.

Did anyone else get lesbian vibes from Estelle and Angie in the first week or so of BB last year? Or was I just looking too hard?

Maybe I'd better rewatch those episodes, and I'm sure I'd be looking pretty hard by the end of it too ;)

Is there an equivalent therapy for heteros who are involuntarily grossed out by gay displays of affection? I can't help feeling the way do, it's 100% instinctive. Despite that fact does that mean I'm a homophobe and in need of therapy to beat that subconscious bigotry out me? I can claim otherwise but that'll be a straight up lie. Is that what gays wanna hear, white lies?
It's okay if you find gays kissing gross (do lesbians count for you too?). I mean, as a gay guy, I know gays who are grossed out by straight kiss, let alone straight sex. They also hate the sight of vaginas (and lesbians too when it comes to dicks). Gays also find you straights gloriously disgusting, because, well, they're not that into you. So you are on the fair scale.

But despite that, gays do not hate straight people. Whereas, heteros, whilst finding the sight of gays gross, they vehemently despite them at the same time.

Show gay men lesbian sex, the would cringe. Show lesbians gay sex, they will quickly turn away. Finding the sex you're not into unappealing is okay.

BUT JUST DON'T HATE on them. Get it?

Back