Skip to main content

Would a gay showmance work/ever happen?

A kiss is a kiss is a kiss. It's just a kiss. Boy-girl; boy-boy; girl-girl. Jeez, Mikkayla even kissed Mr Clooney! Bestiality at 7pm? Who woulda thunk?

Don't like being called sister/gurlfren
I'm not feminine or girly.

And size doesn't matter - I could see Nathan being called "girlfriend/sister" by his gay mates (he did say that he was flamboyant).

There are big fat gay sisters (or queens) - *ahem* Perez Hilton - and small, short 'butch' gays (guys like Bieber, if he were gay).

You know what I'd like to see? Sexuality not being an issue. Cast the right people for the house and if they are all gay, fine. If none are gay, fine. Don't cast them because they are or are not gay/straight/bi.

I dream of the day when we stop obsessing about people's sexuality and treat it as casually as we do eye colour. The only reason we need to know someone's sexuality would be if we were attracted to them and wanted to know if this attraction was likely to be reciprocated. I did say 'dream'.

There are big fat gay sisters (or queens) - *ahem* Perez Hilton - and small, short 'butch' gays (guys like Bieber, if he were gay).

Ahah yeah I'd say I'm the latter sadly. It's the worst. You get boxed immediately as the fem gay dude in groups, and when you grow out of acting up to the stereotype you lose alot of friends who only enjoyed you as their token gay friend. Much as I didn't like Ben 2012 I did LOVE how he quipped back at Michael for stereotyping him first night... despite the fact that he eventually did fall into the stereotype anyway.

And I suppose in your mind you're not self-deluded or anything like that either. Because not wanting to watch two gay men kissing on television is a very simple, clear case of homophobia.

No, it's not. I have plenty of friends who are gay. Does that make me a homophobe if I don't want to see them intimate? No, it's personal preference. The term 'homophobia' is thrown around far too easily, similar to the incorrect use of racism. I get along well with my friends.

You know what I'd like to see? Sexuality not being an issue. Cast the right people for the house and if they are all gay, fine. If none are gay, fine. Don't cast them because they are or are not gay/straight/bi.

I dream of the day when we stop obsessing about people's sexuality and treat it as casually as we do eye colour. The only reason we need to know someone's sexuality would be if we were attracted to them and wanted to know if this attraction was likely to be reciprocated. I did say 'dream'.

That's a great aim. But we are presently in a transition period and some consideration is going to happen.

No, it's not. I have plenty of friends who are gay. Does that make me a homophobe if I don't want to see them intimate? No, it's personal preference. The term 'homophobia' is thrown around far too easily, similar to the incorrect use of racism. I get along well with my friends.

Aha - I love the standard 'I have friends who are gay' response. That's like me saying 'I have black friends so don't mind my racist jokes guys or the fact I don't want to sit next to a black person on the train'.

A phobia is a phobia by definition . Like I said above - you're not homophobic if you hate gays actively, in that case you're a bigot. You're homophobic if seeing them intimate makes you uncomfortable. It's something you would get over if you were exposed to it on a regular basis, it's just a shame your friends obviously go along helping you live your life under a rock instead of forcing you to get over it or away from it.

That said - I don't like any friends couple-shovelling their PDA down my throat, regardless of sexuality. But yeah, don't say you're not homophobic - if anything it's worse that you make your poor friends feel uncomfortable expressing their intimacy around you. I have plenty of straight friends male and female that have witnessed me intimate with my partners.

On a couple of topics raised, I (like most) have a few gay friends and in their experience gays can be as intolerant to bifolk especially. Some will decide not to date a bisexual because of it, so saying your gay to a gay girl; and then straight (or bi) to a guy is just what some need to do.

As for the OP, I always think if BB made it obvious they want 2 people to hook up then it makes it less likely to happen. Jaded only happened after the heat died down a bit and people stopped hounding them about it.

And it happens in the real world too; how often do people try to set up 2 gay friends on the sole fact that they're gay.

As for the OP, I always think if BB made it obvious they want 2 people to hook up then it makes it less likely to happen. Jaded only happened after the heat died down a bit and people stopped hounding them about it.

And it happens in the real world too; how often do people try to set up 2 gay friends on the sole fact that they're gay.

I felt though that it was the Drew and Jade coupling that was more forced. Jade was into Ed from the get go, the only reason it happened was because he relented after all her hounding.

I do agree with your latter point and I'm well aware of it - so of course it wouldn't be guaranteed. But what I'm saying is that producers have never had a cast where it was even a percentage of possible. If there were two single gay dudes, interviewed casually prior about the type of guys they like and matched based on that - it's still not a guarantee but it's possible.

It's something you would get over if you were exposed to it on a regular basis, it's just a shame your friends obviously go along helping you live your life under a rock instead of forcing you to get over it or away from it.

I don't agree at all with your comparison, nor is there any need to make a comment like that because you disagree with me. We are both entitled to our own opinion. I don't really see the need to bother arguing it over a Big Brother forum.

Surely you see why what you're saying is a bit silly, though.

How do you think gay people feel? They go through their entire lives having heterosexual romance in the media shoved down their throats. You think they love being on the outside looking in having to ogle at nothing but heterosexuality day in and day out? You're sitting in a very privileged position to be able to say, "Gay people are okay, I just don't want to see them intimate." Yet heterosexuals being intimate is okay?

Is there an equivalent therapy for heteros who are involuntarily grossed out by gay displays of affection? I can't help feeling the way do, it's 100% instinctive. Despite that fact does that mean I'm a homophobe and in need of therapy to beat that subconscious bigotry out me? I can claim otherwise but that'll be a straight up lie. Is that what gays wanna hear, white lies?

Is there an equivalent therapy for heteros who are involuntarily grossed out by gay displays of affection? I can't help feeling the way do, it's 100% instinctive. Despite that fact does that mean I'm a homophobe and in need of therapy to beat that subconscious bigotry out me? I can claim otherwise but that'll be a straight up lie. Is that what gays wanna hear, white lies?
You don't have to like watching gay people kiss. Many people don't like watching old or ugly or unlikable people kissing, so when it comes up on TV, they avert their eyes for a couple of seconds. It's not that hard really. That's what I did when Jade and Ed were making out with the cameras zoomed in on their mouths.

Well there's something I never thought I'd see Beiber being described as butch without lesbian on the end! :p

Also Perez is skinny and even more obnoxious now. I've seen far to many tweets of him in his undies.

Last edited:
I'm not feminine or girly.

And size doesn't matter - I could see Nathan being called "girlfriend/sister" by his gay mates (he did say that he was flamboyant).

Yeah I agree, myself and my gay circle of mates are very unstereotypical.
I tend to dislike a lot of stereotypical stuff, here's a few examples

I hate Pink
I find Shane from L word repulsive
I prefer Portia to Ellen (although Ellen is awesome)
I have a pet chook, not a dog!

Bahaha.

It's such a shame with David because he was just a regular bloke but he just made it all about his sexuality.
Well there's something I never thought I'd never see Beiber being described as butch without lesbian on the end! :p

Also Perez is skinny and even more obnoxious now. I've seen far to many tweets of him in his undies.

LOL!!!! It's true Bieber looks like what you'd find at the Beat on a Friday night!

How can a gay kiss make someone uncomfortable, lol?

A kiss is just a kiss... they're just lips?!

Back