Skip to main content

True Blood

Well I still think it was blasphemous to even mention BrB and TB in the same sentence for comparison purposes (wash your mouth out SES), irrespective of the galaxy/solar system analogy disclaimer. ;)

Well I still think it was blasphemous to even mention BrB and TB in the same sentence for comparison purposes (wash your mouth out SES), irrespective of the galaxy/solar system analogy disclaimer. ;)

Do you know I've never watched a single episode of Breaking Bad.

:shy:

Oh, I see. It all makes sense now. lol

First season was painfully drawn out and boring (much like TB's final season) and came close to giving up on it because of it. However it picked up NO SCRATCH THAT it went nuts from Season 2 onwards. :thumbsup:

Oh, I see. It all makes sense now. lol

First season was painfully drawn out and boring (much like TB's final season) and came close to giving up on it because of it. However it picked up NO SCRATCH THAT it went nuts from Season 2 onwards. :thumbsup:

Hrm yeah it's never really interested me no matter how many people rave on about it, much like Sons of Anarchy.

Also you avatar appears to be getting younger; at this rate it'll be a picture of sperm by launch night.

You thought the BB finale was bad/average? You're in the minority then given that most people thought it was a masterpiece. Personally I thought it was alright, nothing special.
I read that as @Straight Edge Society saying True Bloods finale was nowhere near as good as BB but that he has seen worse like Dexter's.

Consuela is right. I just picked Breaking Bad because its my favourite series and finale of all time. Dexter was the most disappointing finale of all time. They, for me, are either end of the measuring stick. True Blood was somewhere in the lower half. I know you hate it with a passion, but lets not forget how large our solar system is.

I loved season 1 of Breaking Bad. It was definitely one of those shows that got better as it went on, but season 1 has some amazing moments.

Reactions: Jam
Hrm yeah it's never really interested me no matter how many people rave on about it, much like Sons of Anarchy.

Also you avatar appears to be getting younger; at this rate it'll be a picture of sperm by launch night.

It's similar in tone to Dexter in that it deals with dark subject matter. If you were a fan of Dexter I think you could probably end up liking it as well.

Re: avvie
It's a different pic of the same tiger cub. lol He looks more menacing in my current avvie I reckon.

Consuela is right. I just picked Breaking Bad because its my favourite series and finale of all time. Dexter was the most disappointing finale of all time. They, for me, are either end of the measuring stick. True Blood was somewhere in the lower half. I know you hate it with a passion, but lets not forget how large our solar system is.

I loved season 1 of Breaking Bad. It was definitely one of those shows that got better as it went on, but season 1 has some amazing moments.

With all due respect SES I think I nodded off at least once in each of the episodes of the first season. Like I said it tested my patience to its very limits, glad I stuck with it though.

Re: avvie
It's a different pic of the same tiger cub. lol He looks more menacing in my current avvie I reckon.

Ha! I thought the opposite. In fact my original reaction was "aww he's going for a cuter cub to improve his image".

:whistling::p

As if. lol

Certain Jade fans are the ones with the hang ups ( I will not be censored), not me. :biggrin: My so-called rants are always aimed at hms I strongly dislike, this is what the BBB forum is all about after all.

However I've never made anything personal against other posters so the thought of 'improving' my image has never crossed my mind. :)

With all due respect SES I think I nodded off at least once in each of the episodes of the first season. Like I said it tested my patience to its very limits, glad I stuck with it though.

To each their own. But I loved all the great stuff like them trying to dispose of the body, stealing the barrel, blowing Tuco's place sky high, Walt getting high, Tuco beating that guy to death and a bunch of other stuff. It got better as it went on, but season one was pretty good. They may have overdone the pauses and they lacked the great cast members like Saul and Gus, but it still worked for me.

As if. lol

Certain Jade fans are the ones with the hang ups ( I will not be censored), not me. :biggrin: My so-called rants are always aimed at hms I strongly dislike, this is what the BBB forum is all about after all.

However I've never made anything personal against other posters so the thought of 'improving' my image has never crossed my mind. :)

You tell em Simba.

To each their own. But I loved all the great stuff like them trying to dispose of the body, stealing the barrel, blowing Tuco's place sky high, Walt getting high, Tuco beating that guy to death and a bunch of other stuff. It got better as it went on, but season one was pretty good. They may have overdone the pauses and they lacked the great cast members like Saul and Gus, but it still worked for me.
Didn't all that ''exciting' stuff happen near the end of Season 1? I agree that it took a while to get going but once it did it was a wild unforgettable ride that set everything up for an incredible 2nd season. :thumbsup:

Didn't all that ''exciting' stuff happen near the end of Season 1? I agree that it took a while to get going but once it did it was a wild unforgettable ride that set everything up for an incredible 2nd season. :thumbsup:

The Tuco stuff was near the end. The body falling through the ceiling, Walt getting high and Walt killing the guy with the bike lock happened in episode 2. And Walt telling Sklyer to get off his ass, was episode 2 as well :D Oh, and Walt blowing up that jerks car at the gas station was really great. I loved it, but there were a lot of long pauses and long breakfast scenes in season 1. They address it in the Honest Trailer of Breaking Bad.

Oh, come on. Breaking Bad and True Blood are two completely different thangs. One show is great, beautifully scripted and acted drama that made us think about what it means to be alive and human. Is life all about family or self or the greater good? The other show is True Blood.

I liked the finale of TB. It gave a nod to most of the main characters over the series, except for Alcide and, yes, Lafayette. It was fitting for the show, though, that Bill died; it was fitting that Sookie kept true to what she perceived herself to be and it was fitting the Eric and Pammie cleaned up. It was good, light fun; just like the whole series had been. It had nothing to contribute to our perceptions of the human condition, but it didn't have that pretension. It was great entertainment.

Oh, come on. Breaking Bad and True Blood are two completely different thangs. One show is great, beautifully scripted and acted drama that made us think about what it means to be alive and human. Is life all about family or self or the greater good? The other show is True Blood.

I liked the finale of TB. It gave a nod to most of the main characters over the series, except for Alcide and, yes, Lafayette. It was fitting for the show, though, that Bill died; it was fitting that Sookie kept true to what she perceived herself to be and it was fitting the Eric and Pammie cleaned up. It was good, light fun; just like the whole series had been. It had nothing to contribute to our perceptions of the human condition, but it didn't have that pretension. It was great entertainment.

One show is great, beautifully scripted and acted drama that made us think about what it means to be alive and human. Is life all about family or self or the greater good?

Clearly BrB meant a lot to you than it did to me because I most definitely don't hold it in that high a regard. ;) Shows that have made in impact on me in the manner you've describe BrB has had on you, would be Carnivale and Twin Peaks.

The story of a suburban teacher slowly dying of cancer and his subsequent somewhat accidental rise as a ruthless power hungry drug lord to provide for his family mostly falls under the escapism 'entertainment' category for me. I didn't take as much out of it as you did and you know what that's okay.

I liked the finale of TB

That's all good and dandy if you feel that way, I'm certainly not going to try to convince you that you're wrong as I respect your right to your opinion. However there are many other loyal fans of the show who don't agree and feel let incredibly let down by the noticeable degradation in quality of the show over the last 3 or 4 years.

But from your comments I get the impression that you think we (myself included) are not entitled to a differing less flattering opinion. Why does it bother you or even care that others don't share your own view? This article that I linked to before touches on and summarises quite nicely a lot of the gripes the 'whingers' have about the final season and the finale. :)
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/true-blood-thank-you-208490

I understand when people say that this was mostly 'light' entertaining soapie sorta show but soapie or not the first few seasons were well acted and written hence why I stuck around watching it for all these years. I pride myself in not watching crap, thank you very much. :D

But sadly TB eventually became a mere shadow of itself ; a pointless meandering boring mess of a joke that would not even get green lit as a CW show today, the ultimate insult. lol It's that what you take issue with, Jam?

There's no denying that TB from Season 1 is totally unrecognizable from Season 7; there's practically multiple galaxies between the 2. :wideyed: I can tell you right now that if the TB creators had served up in Season 1 what they did in Season 7 I would have dumped it like a used hankie by the third episode and never looked back. :p

Last edited:
Clearly BrB meant a lot to you than it did to me because I most definitely don't hold it in that high a regard. ;) Shows that have made in impact on me in the manner you've describe BrB has had on you, would be Carnivale and Twin Peaks.

The story of a suburban teacher slowly dying of cancer and his subsequent somewhat accidental rise as a ruthless power hungry drug lord to provide for his family mostly falls under the escapism 'entertainment' category for me. I didn't take as much out of it as you did and you know what that's okay.

That's all good and dandy if you feel that way, I'm certainly not going to try to convince you that you're wrong as I respect your right to your opinion. However there are many other loyal fans of the show who don't agree and feel let incredibly let down by the noticeable degradation in quality of the show over the last 3 or 4 years.

But from your comments I get the impression that you think we (myself included) are not entitled to a differing less flattering opinion? Why does it bother you or even care that others don't share your own view? This article that I linked to before touches on and summarises quite nicely a lot of the gripes the 'whingers' have about the final season and the finale. :)
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/true-blood-thank-you-208490

I understand when people say that this was mostly 'light' entertaining soapie sorta show but soapie or not the first few seasons were well acted and written hence why I stuck around watching it for all these years. I pride myself in not watching crap, thank you very much. :D

But sadly TB eventually became a mere shadow of itself ; a pointless meandering boring mess of a joke that would not even get green lit as a CW show today, the ultimate insult. lol It's that what you take issue with, Jam?

There's no denying that TB from Season 1 is totally unrecognizable from Season 7; there's practically multiple galaxies between the 2. :wideyed: I can tell you right now that if the TB creators had served up in Season 1 what they did in Season 7 I would have dumped like a used hankie by the third episode and never looked back. :p

Oh, Connoisseur, of course I think you're entitled to your opinion! I thought forums were about discussing different opinions. Silly old me.

Clearly, we both enjoyed the first seasons of True Blood, so there's a lot of common ground there. I kept on enjoying it, unlike you; but that doesn't mean anything, really. I don't take issue with your opinion, and don't take think your differing opinion about a tv show is a personal insult. I continued to like a tv show in which you eventually felt disappointed. Nothing to see here, folks. I still like Connoisseur, though. No issues there.

lol @ bd liking posts of posters disagreeing with me :D

I continued to like a tv show in which you eventually felt disappointed. Nothing to see here, folks. I still like Connoisseur, though. No issues there.

I wasn't having a go at you Jam. ;) At the end of the day of the day we had different expectations from the show, mine (and many other fans) been much higher than yours. I was just taken aback by your insinuations that people who had higher expectations were being somewhat 'unreasonable', for want of a better term. I'll admit that I did take a little bit of an issue with that. :wideyed:

The fact that TB was 'light' entertainment didn't excuse it for devolving to the point that it had in the opinion of fans such as myself of course. You viewed it differently because you classed TB several rungs below what you deem to be great shows such as BrB, and like I said that's okay, we'll agree to disagree. :)

lol @ bd liking posts of posters disagreeing with me :D

I wasn't having a go at you Jam. ;) At the end of the day of the day we had different expectations from the show, mine (and many other fans) been much higher than yours. I was just taken aback by your insinuations that people who had higher expectations were being somewhat 'unreasonable', for want of a better term. I'll admit that I did take a little bit of an issue with that. :wideyed:

The fact that TB was 'light' entertainment didn't excuse it for devolving to the point that it had in the opinion of fans such as myself of course. You viewed it differently because you classed TB several rungs below what you deem to be great shows such as BrB, and like I said that's okay, we'll agree to disagree. :)

images

Back