Skip to main content

The Block 2017

Yay not an apartment building or hotel. Been wanting to see houses again for a while. I may actually give it a look.

Ronnie and Georgia
Ages: 41 and 33

Home state: WA

Relationship: Married for six years.

Ronnie-Georgia.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1499869760][/DOUBLEPOST]Josh and Elyse
Ages: 28 and 24

Home state: VIC

Relationship: Dating for four years.

Josh-Elyse.jpg

Jason and Sarah
Ages: 46 and 45

Home state: VIC

Relationship: Married for 18 years.
Jason-Sarah.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1499869848][/DOUBLEPOST]Clint and Hannah
Ages: 33 and 31

Home state: QLD

Relationship: Married for five years.

Clint-Hannah.jpg

Situated at 36 REGENT STREET, they say Elsternwick.......I think it is the backwoods of Ripponlea. It is quite a fugly street for that area.
It is a long way from the prettier parts of Elsternwick

For interstaters, it is home to a gorgeous historical trust house, decor art deco...they have great exhibits, beautiful gardens.
They had that funny statue of Mr Darcy from Pride & Prejudice in the lake last year - it was enormous & weird.
And it is a very Jewish suburb, with fab restaurants, with Attica, one of only 2 world rated restaurants.
Don't think there are any hardware or furniture & decor places around there......Elsternwick has the ABC and awesome opp shops, plus THE best Lebanese restaurant.

Happy this season is back to actual houses. Though it appears to be going up against Survivor so I won't be watching it live I don't think.

This starts tonight. Not excited at all, I hope I can muster up some interest in these people. It will have to wait til after Survivor though.

This starts tonight. Not excited at all, I hope I can muster up some interest in these people. It will have to wait til after Survivor though.
I like that they're doing 1920s style bungalows. I haven't watched in years but I'll give this a crack and FF through Cam & Craft.

Was going to watch Block NZ but only watched the launch show, where they gave them a block of new (partially built) townhouses, which just made it feel soulless and pointless.

Watching the first half hour and all I have to say is these houses are so damn close!

Also not that sold on the additions. Hopefully they end up looking a bit less tacked on than the sketch up made them look.

Watching the first half hour and all I have to say is these houses are so damn close!

Also not that sold on the additions. Hopefully they end up looking a bit less tacked on than the sketch up made them look.
you could reach out the window and touch the neighbours house I reakon

That's fascinating. I feel sorry for the people that live in the street the block in on too. At least for the past few seasons, the buildings seem to have been removed from residential areas. I suspect it was not so much fun for neighbours. Documenting the whole thing was a great idea though :)

Till early this year, we lived next to the future 'pantscraper' site in the Melbourne CBD. We put up with noise and dust of three years of demolition and the commencement of construction (more jackhammers, who knew!?). You do become used to it, but I think it does take longer to become truly impervious than the time it takes to deliver the block houses.

The back of the houses look super modern and the charcoal colour perhaps will dominate the more heritage elements of the frontage. I'd hoped the extensions would have been more sympathetic, but the block still seem so stuck on galvanised steel and dark colours. It might look better once it's all done, but it really is quite striking at the moment.

you could reach out the window and touch the neighbours house I reakon

So true! We moved to a regional city earlier this year and one of the places we looked at, you could look through side window, into the next house and then through another of their windows to the main road, across from which was a Bunnings, which ... you could see clearly! Funnily enough, the house you could see right in to (and shared a driveway with) was also for sale and from memory, they took about six months each to sell! I'm all for more compact living, but it needs to be done in a smart way.

So they've basically moved these houses onto a property owned/controlled solely by channel 9...

Makes it easier to control the work (and drama) environment for TV and channel 9 doesn't have to deal with pissed off residents in the the remainder of the street being disrupted for months on end.

I doubt this is the final location for these houses. They'll reno' them and then because they're weatherboard stump houses they can be cut up (again) and trucked off to wherever the new owners want them later once the show is over. I wonder who'll pay for the transport damage that time?..?

The entire site is already a freezing mud pit... Imagine how bad its going to be after a few weeks of this?

OH&S anybody?...

That's fascinating. I feel sorry for the people that live in the street the block in on too. At least for the past few seasons, the buildings seem to have been removed from residential areas. I suspect it was not so much fun for neighbours. Documenting the whole thing was a great idea though :)

Interesting link. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I'm currently watching the first episode.

Back