Skip to main content

Q: Celeb Couple??? A: Bert & Patti Newton

Graham Kennedy: Hey Bert, you wanna hear the sound a crow makes?
Bert Newton: Sure Graham, what sound does a crow make?
Graham Kennedy: "(barely heard f)aaaaaaark"

And the debate about profanity and censorship began.

Graham was one of the first suspected celebrity gay's (I think) and for a long time Bert was suspected of being gay. His marriage to Patti convinced everyone he was not gay.

He was the original straight man to Graham and later Don's funny man and he was very much loved.

Now - he's the father of a tool and needs some good publicity - amirite? ;)

So you can't be a fan of something that pre-dates your birth?

Not at all.

I like the Brady Bunch for instance. However I grew up exposed to it being on TV. Bert and Patti as a celebrity couple isn't something there would really have been any exposure to. To be a fan of. As old Don Lane shows aren't repeated. For basically Ben's entire life Patti and Bert as an entertainment couple doing stuff wasn't available.

Bert hosted infomercials. Patti was just his wife really out of the public spotlight. Occasionally on his shows. More recently on some reality tv shows and ACA talking about her mentally ill son.

Maybe he got it from his parents? I'm a fan of a lot of music my parents listened to when they grew up.

Yeah the record would be. Hell I know my mum has that record and my sister gave a copy as a joke to my gay cousin a few years back

The point is, I just don't see how it's possible to actually be a fan of Bert and Patti as a celebrity couple. It's just some kitsch thing to have an album or whatever.

I can't be the only person that finds this very strange indeed.

Maybe it just lends itself to the theory he adopted his grandmothers personality.

Ben gets a celeb couple for his birthday & Rohan gets evicted for his... sounds about right...

It's in the latest ad.

All female Eviction and a 2 celebs help Ben celebrate his birthday or something like that.

[MENTION=34161]hoopz[/MENTION] [MENTION=99]Goon[/MENTION] - from 0:18

[video=youtube;9H2mSuFepQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H2mSuFepQw[/video]

I'm 32 and remember watching Bert a lot as a young person. I also remember learning about Bert and Patti, thoyugh I'm not a fan, I cna see how heis.

I'm a fan of Hitchcock, classic movies and lots of old school music including Manfred Man and the Temptations thanks to my parents and old school 5AD radio.

I'm 32 and remember watching Bert a lot as a young person. I also remember learning about Bert and Patti, thoyugh I'm not a fan, I cna see how heis.

I'm a fan of Hitchcock, classic movies and lots of old school music including Manfred Man and the Temptations thanks to my parents and old school 5AD radio.

Knowing of bert and patti is different than being a fan. I know of them, I know they used to do stuff together in the spotlight.

It's completely a false comparison to compare being exposed to their body of work together than it is to classic films.

One is readily available. One was not available at all. Hell Patti was only ever on GMA 11 times and not in the same capacity as when them as an item became famous as an entertainment couple.

There is nothing to be a fan of beside it just being a kitsch thing to say.

Not at all.

Bollocks. I'm 32...Audrey Hepburn, old school TV shows, Janis Joplin, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Tina Turner, Paul Simon, the Beatles, I could go on and on and on...are all things/people that I am a fan of that were either well before my time, or within my time but I was too young to appreciate them then. I don't find it strange at all.

Maybe he got it from his parents? I'm a fan of a lot of music my parents listened to when they grew up.

Absolutely!!! I credit my mother for half my musical taste! "What's Love Got To Do With It" was my first-ever favourite song, it was popular when I was 3 lol. I have vivid memories of sitting with Mum & my brother in the car all singing along, on the ferry across the Brisbane river before the Gateway Bridge was built, en route to my grandmother's house at Sandgate. Aah :)

This would only interest me if Bert and Patti got it on for the camera. Otherwise they're just two fossils thrown in the house for the housemates to look at.

Bollocks. I'm 32...Audrey Hepburn, old school TV shows, Janis Joplin, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Tina Turner, Paul Simon, the Beatles, I could go on and on and on...are all things/people that I am a fan of that were either well before my time, or within my time but I was too young to appreciate them then. I don't find it strange at all.

Yes because that's all stuff which was/is readily available to consume and become a fan of.

How do people not get that point. The Bert and Patti stuff was not airing on TV. Not on video, it was no where. At that stage for Ben, Bert hosted a morning infomercial and Patti was just his wife pretty much out of the spotlight raising their kids. It's not like he'd come home from school and watch re-runs of Don Lane. He literally couldn't have grown up watching them.

Back