Skip to main content

Peter Abbott on Reality Check

Cool Beanz, I was gOing to watch it already, they had Marrion Farrelly on a few episodes. I actually quite like it,

Been waiting for this all week. The host was on the Dan and Maz show the other day talking about it

Oh cool, I look forward to watching that. Julian Cress from The Block was on last week, and there were a few interesting insights there.

Anyone got a link or an upload to this?[DOUBLEPOST=1410956943][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone got a link or an upload to this?

Far out, that was one of the best Big Brother related things I've seen in years!

It is in those 10 minutes alone that you can see just how genius and smart Peter Abbott is and why he will always be the best (and my favourite) BBAU executive producer this country has had. His points about too many stunts affecting the format of the show and his explanation about the innocence of first seasons of any reality show all prove just how much he gets Big Brother and reality TV.

My favourite line was him referring to the Big Brother format after big twists and stunts by saying that it makes the show "go from being a zoo to a circus". Such a perfect analogy - and one that the recent producers don't give a rats about.

It was also an interesting point about it being proven that older people are better at the executive producer position of Big Brother worldwide than younger managers are. *cough* Mavroidakis!

Wonderful insight though. I can only imagine what BBAU would have become had Peter maintained his role for more years.

This was actually really interesting. They were so right about the innocence of the first season, I feel like that's the same with all reality TV shows, they can never get that sense of earnestness back. Personally I felt like BBAU 2012 was really very good in that it had this sense in a way, 2013 just became too overproduced and lacked any real character or charm. The Block really ended up like this too, 2011 (although by no means the first season) was really brilliant as the cast was just so well put together, and ever since they haven't been able/haven't wanted to, create that sense that everyone was having fun making the show. It's all about drama now, I mean they were advertising a wood bath tonight as if people will watch it to see a bloody bath made of wood, it's just so gimmicky and tacky and ugh it's a shame channel 9 seems to love this sort of TV because it's really just exhausting to watch.

Definately worth checking it out- even just the first ten minutes of this week!!!
As a reality show fan, it has been very interesting series, but loved Peter Abbott on it tonight!!

Memories of the early years came flooding back just hearing his voice!
Agree that The zoo to a circus analogy was spot on, and the other interesting point was that the phsychologists TELL the contestants/housemates to blame editing!

Reactions: koo
He certainly timed his exit to perfection - left a show he obviously loved at a time he still loved it.

Wow, that brought back some serious nostalgia! And he's so so right about the stunts being a thing that the HMs sit around expecting to happen instead of just going about their day - look at how Sandra complained that she didn't think it would be so boring (the time when Gemma was bitching about Sandra supposedly wanting to leave).

What's best for the sake of the format of Big Brother is for this to be the last season this year for a year or two.

It's worth having a few years off if it means that it would go back to Channel 10 and Big Brother can go back to it's roots. Get new executive producers who don't feel need to make someone win the show because they want an "amazing" proposal at the end. Peter Abbott should be hired at least part-time or in a very small role to watch over the production and make sure none of this manipulation and gimmick stunts crap happen again. Peter should come back for the sake of all Big Brother fans.

To think Channel 10 might have had BB in 2012 but Channel 9 were greedy and picked up the format to basically ruin it.

We definitely need the show to go back to Channel 10 with new executive producers who are true BB purists. And absolutely do not think it's ok to rig the results for ratings. Stick twelve people in a house and watch them interact. Yes you can have twists but the fascinating concept of Big Brother is watching the housemates who they are and how they interact with one another. *Gasp* Is that too boring Alex????

Brilliant quote Gretel said about the "new" Big Brother in 2012:
"I think there is a certain level of TV exec that actually thinks the audience is mindless," "I think there is a lack of respect for our population as a whole."
http://www.yourtv.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=1039258&showcomments=true

Back