Skip to main content

In The News

Aussie's have gone POKEMON GO crazy, some of my household are out hunting now.

About 1000 people attended Perth's first Pokemon Go walk in Forrest Place yesterday to play new smartphone game based on cute Nintendo characters like Squirtle and Pikachu.

57831314b5a3e_poke2_1bo64mj-1bo64ok.jpg

My plan is to not get into this craze, just like I haven't succumbed to Candy Crush. For those who do venture there, may your quests and findings be good ones and stay safe. I've heard it can be a bit dangerous.

Aussie's have gone POKEMON GO crazy, some of my household are out hunting now.

About 1000 people attended Perth's first Pokemon Go walk in Forrest Place yesterday to play new smartphone game based on cute Nintendo characters like Squirtle and Pikachu.

57831314b5a3e_poke2_1bo64mj-1bo64ok.jpg

So many people are obsessed with it.

I have read quite a few positives:
- People who have never exercised are going for walks to find Pokemon - I had so many people say to me at work today "do you want to go for a walk this afternoon after work?"
- Parents with children with learning difficulties/Autism etc. are reporting their children are willing to go out into nature for the first time in years courtesy of the virtual world in reality it has created.

It actually seems fairly healthy to me so far. Encourages people to get outdoors etc. Let's face it - they are going to be on their phones anyway, at least they are getting Vitamin D and exercise.

So many people are obsessed with it.

I have read quite a few positives:
- People who have never exercised are going for walks to find Pokemon - I had so many people say to me at work today "do you want to go for a walk this afternoon after work?"
- Parents with children with learning difficulties/Autism etc. are reporting their children are willing to go out into nature for the first time in years courtesy of the virtual world in reality it has created.

It actually seems fairly healthy to me so far. Encourages people to get outdoors etc. Let's face it - they are going to be on their phones anyway, at least they are getting Vitamin D and exercise.
Go for it then if that's the case. Any exercise or interation with the outdoors is better than nothing.

Pokemon Go is awesome, we found some outside our house. My household's young adults grew up obsessed with Pokemon.
He is having so much fun being 10 again, he found his first sitting on his mate's beer and squeeed home to tell me.

Exciting. This concept in general - imagine what they can do, flying art, dancing partners, they can make your world a rainbow!

Not exactly news on the world scale, but Sonia Kruger has landed herself in hot water over some Pauline Hanson-esque comments.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...s/news-story/864b9941d5636e715e357ee6597df9da
Meh.... I hope I'm not the only one who kind of agrees.
Look at Europe, Germany in 2015 alone let in 4769,000 refugees, but German officialssaid more than a million had been counted in Germany's "EASY" system for counting and distributing people before they make asylum claims.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911

That's a lot of people and most were from Syria. The number of Muslims and therefore potential terrorists are too much for German officials to monitor, control and arrest. We're lucky that we only have 476,291 Muslims, they only make up 2.2% of the population. In France Muslims make up 9.6% of the population.... do we really want to get to 9.6% so soon (it will happen eventually). Clearly monitoring a potential 9.6% of your population is too hard for French authority's.
I feel like I'm always reading about someone on trial for terrorism or being arrested for it. Australian officials can handle 2.2%, doubt they can handle 9.6%.

Sonia is not racist, I think she like many others have seen how fucked up Europe is right now and don't want that for this country.

Oh and I'm just adding that yes I do realise that not all of the people who make up that 9.6% need to be monitored because they could potentially pose a threat, I know it would be a smaller % of that.

Heard on the radio tonight (ABC) someone saying that France has around 20,000 people under constant surveillance, and they have to employ 20 people to fully monitor an individual.

There's a number of issues swirling around they I don't have any answers for, but I think there are going to be some extremely awkward questions that all Western democracies are going to have to answer in the next 20 years. Hopefully the main parties will step up and deal, because the alternative is handing over the debate to parties like UKIP and One Nation.

O noes!! Kickass Torrents has been shut down by the US Feds.

kickasstorrents_500x500.png

The owner of file-sharing website KAT was indicted in the United States on Wednesday for copyright infringement related to the distribution of more than $US1 billion ($1.34 billion) worth of movies, video games, music recordings and other content, US justice officials said.

Artem Vaulin, 30, of Ukraine, was arrested in Poland and US officials want him extradited to face charges that include conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement and conspiracy to commit money laundering, according to attorneys for the US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.

Bugger. That was the best torrent site. But as always, another will step up. There are always alternatives.

hmmm the NZ government have put out a travel warning regarding travel to Australia

https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/australia

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016, 13:59 NZST
  • Still current at: 21 July 2016

Some Risk

There is some risk to your security in Australia due to the threat of terrorism and we advise caution.

Close/Open map
Terrorism
New Zealanders travelling and living in Australia are advised to take account of the terror threat level assigned by Australian authorities when making travel decisions. The current national threat system assesses the likelihood of an act of terrorism occurring in Australia as ‘Probable’ (level three on a five level scale).

Australia remains a target of terrorist interest, both from international terror groups and from domestic-based extremists. Credible intelligence, assessed by Australian authorities indicates that individuals or groups have developed both the intent and capability to conduct a terrorist attack in Australia.

New Zealanders in Australia are advised to monitor the media for information about threats to safety and security and follow any instructions issued by local authorities.

General travel advice
New Zealanders making short-term visits to Australia are advised to take out a comprehensive travel insurance policy. While we have a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia which entitles New Zealand residents to emergency hospital treatment, the agreement does not cover out-of-hospital medical treatment including services like ambulance cover, medical evacuations and elective treatment including doctors' visits.

New Zealanders travelling or living in Australia are encouraged to register their details with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Meh.... I hope I'm not the only one who kind of agrees.
Look at Europe, Germany in 2015 alone let in 4769,000 refugees, but German officialssaid more than a million had been counted in Germany's "EASY" system for counting and distributing people before they make asylum claims.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911

That's a lot of people and most were from Syria. The number of Muslims and therefore potential terrorists are too much for German officials to monitor, control and arrest. We're lucky that we only have 476,291 Muslims, they only make up 2.2% of the population. In France Muslims make up 9.6% of the population.... do we really want to get to 9.6% so soon (it will happen eventually). Clearly monitoring a potential 9.6% of your population is too hard for French authority's.
I feel like I'm always reading about someone on trial for terrorism or being arrested for it. Australian officials can handle 2.2%, doubt they can handle 9.6%.

Sonia is not racist, I think she like many others have seen how fucked up Europe is right now and don't want that for this country.

Oh and I'm just adding that yes I do realise that not all of the people who make up that 9.6% need to be monitored because they could potentially pose a threat, I know it would be a smaller % of that.

Excuse me Madam, I humbly and respectfully disagree with you, but I think it is offensive to call Muslims potential terrorists.

Reactions: kxk
MELBOURNE - Most liveable city
SYDNEY - mean bastards

LENTIL AS ANYTHING
Our philosophy has been working successfully for over 13 years now, with three long-standing restaurants in Abbotsford Convent, St Kilda and Footscray, and now also in Preston and Sydney, with a growing involvement in education and ongoing community projects.
378278EE00000578-0-image-a-3_1471951028263.jpg

Our Mission
  • Caring for people: Provide a wholesome and nutritious meal where money is not a concern.
  • Promoting Multiculturalism: Fostering an environment of inclusion and not exclusion.
  • Reforming Society: Acting on the structures of society to restore justice.
  • Extending/Spreading it’s ethos and values: Hiring volunteers, the long-term unemployed and the marginalised.
  • Encouraging: Young people to be active citizens and get involved in community based initiatives
Lentil As is awesome, and is now an established institution, almost 14 years, 4 restaurants all going strong.
Melbourne diners, donate about $10 a meal or more...

SYDNEY, meanies
Restaurant faces closure after customers take advantage of their 'pay what you want' policy and fork out less than $3 a meal
Lentil As Anything, tucked away in Sydney's trendy inner-city Newtown, has been serving restaurant-quality vegan meals since it opened its doors two years ago.

The self-described 'not-for-profit community organisation' aims at helping out the disadvantaged by providing a warm space with tasty food at a price that suits.

Last edited:
Back