Skip to main content

How much do the housemates get paid?

H

Health

question speaks for itself, justynn was replying to a tweet and said that "everyone gets paid", would make sense since all the ex housemates have just been out having a good time partying yet haven't worked for the past couple of months...

I've always wondered this. I'm guessing its a 'weekly pay' enough to cover rent and bill etc while in the house and then once evicted that would probably last for a few more weeks? Also, they would earn money depending on their post eviction appearances and ads such as ambi-pur, AWL, dreamworld etc;
I think they'd have a contract which lasted eg; 1 month post eviction.
But would love to actually know how it works!

t9unpe.jpg

So in theory that would mean:
Sharon - $1000
Rohan - $1500
Xavier - $1500
Jasmin - $2000
Caleb - $2500
Heidi - $3000
Matthew - $8500 ( $3500 from weekly + $5000 from showdown )
Tully - $9000 ( $4000 from weekly + $5000 from showdown )
Justynn - $500
Sugar Sisters - $4500
Nathan - $1000
Ben - $5000
Mikkayla - $5500
Madaline - $1500

Tahan/Jade/Drew currently have $6000 stored up.
Tim and Ed currently have $11000 stored up ( $6000 from weekly + $5000 from showdown )
Boog currently has $2000 stored up.

Last edited:
I wonder if they get paid a week or two after they leave because they are still promoting BB, at Dreamworld and meeting fans etc so can't go back to work?
plus Ed, Matt,Tully and Tim won $5000 each by winning showdown.

I wonder if they get paid a week or two after they leave because they are still promoting BB, at Dreamworld and meeting fans etc so can't go back to work?
plus Ed, Matt,Tully and Tim won $5000 each by winning showdown.

Ah! I forgot that Ed, Matt and Tully also got $5000. I remember Tim getting it.
I've updated the numbers I posted above.

Wen I nearly got in I had to sign a contract and back then if I remember rightly it was roughly $500 a week while u were contracted to them not just for the weeks u were in the house and the contract started about a week before entry til a couple of weeks after the show ended and there was a one off payment of about $1,500 so u could pre pay your rent etc while u were in the house.. But that was a long time ago

Mikkayla won showdown too..twice wasnt it? And didnt Tim win it twice or three times?

week 1 matthew $5000
week 2 ed $5000
week 3 Tully $5000
week 11 Tim $5000

Other weeks it was Presidential suite and saving HM's

Wen I nearly got in I had to sign a contract and back then if I remember rightly it was roughly $500 a week while u were contracted to them not just for the weeks u were in the house and the contract started about a week before entry til a couple of weeks after the show ended and there was a one off payment of about $1,500 so u could pre pay your rent etc while u were in the house.. But that was a long time ago

I would love to see the contracts that HMs have to sign. I imagine they are very detailed. Do you remember anything else of interest?

What year was this, out of interest?

And yeah, it was always clearly a stipend. For some that would be a lot less than they usually earn, but for others it could actually be more. Especially the students.

They do this on every show that requires you to leave your job for the duration of filming, eg, The Block.

So still on $500 a week. It's been on that rate for about ten years.

$500? That sux, BBUSA guests got $1000 a week stipend.

It's the very minimum MEAA/Equity rate so that's what they pay them, minimum wage basically.

When you consider I have friends doing 100% TVCs, which means vision and speaking parts. One TVC, depending on the brand, can be $15K+. As I said somewhere before TVCs is the real money.

So all those Ambipur ads, and there were numerous cuts of those, one for each HMs then alternative setups, for NOTHING, well they would have been on their daily by then.

Guys factor in lock-down in your calculations.

But from the agent's pov, they have something on their showreel...

Why the producers want Tahan to win is a mystery to me. Her diction is bad. She can't think on her feet... can't be radio. Has to be C9 side. They must have something for her but it's all a bit odd... particularly as soon as she's out of there, she will be grieving for her cousin and will likely cancel immediate publicity and fall off the crest of the wave.

I watch alot of our original Aussie 'Prisoner' and they seem to barter alot with cigarettes...thought that was the case in BB...

I was at Uni with an Ex BB housemate who said he was on a 5 month contract and raked in $20k after tax money. And that was from like 10 years ago

Its still $500 per week this year (my brother is friends with Xavier's Brother) but where they make their money is in appearances and events once they get evicted. $500 doesn't sounds like much but apart from rent and a few bills it technically doesn't cost them anything while they are in the house.

I would love to see the contracts that HMs have to sign. I imagine they are very detailed. Do you remember anything else of interest?

What year was this, out of interest?

I can't remember much to be honest except that we were not allowed to divulge anything about the process etc and that everything is at big brothers discretion pretty much.. I can't remember what year it was but it was the starburst golden key year (yes I won a key) the contract was pages and pages long.. I think it was 3 years before we were allowed to discuss anything without permission.. Sorry it was awhile ago now lol

Its still $500 per week this year (my brother is friends with Xavier's Brother) but where they make their money is in appearances and events once they get evicted. $500 doesn't sounds like much but apart from rent and a few bills it technically doesn't cost them anything while they are in the house.

Well they wouldn't have to buy groceries or petrol while in the house. Or go out with friends. Etc. :p

Back