Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2023 - Episode 2 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I right in thinking the big franchises on Nine and Ten have now finished up too. November is to the year what Fri/Sat is to the week - shows airing in November in Australia aren't expected to succeed.

Am I right in thinking the big franchises on Nine and Ten have now finished up too. November is to the year what Fri/Sat is to the week - shows airing in November in Australia aren't expected to succeed.

According to this the ratings year ends on 2 December, so yeah, they knew this would tank. But that's hardly a secret as it was reported months ago they were disappointed with the season.

At what point does it cost more to channel 7 and to the BB franchise to actually let a bad season show (eg reputation, people actively choosing something else to watch and then not coming back to the channel for the rest of the evening), as opposed to just wearing the cost of production and shelving it without screening it? Surely there must have been some debate with this season which way to go? I am surprised they have wasted any money with advertising.

They have, except that 10 will be premiering the new Masterchef spin-off, Dessert Masters, next week. That show has already been given a 2nd season for next year before the 1st has even premiered.

I think that the major networks are realising that people don't really watch TV during what were historically "standard TV times" any more, with on-demand 24-7 streaming, they need to air new material year-round. So I'm not surprised there are several shows airing new episodes out of ratings season.

Oh is that what’s going on. I thought my data roaming was turned off. Thank god it happened on my last day in Europe and not in the middle of my trip lol.
How lucky was that!
It apparently went down at 4am this morning. Mine at home is back up again as of 20 minutes ago.
Down Detector has been going off BIG time with angry customers.

Well, I actually enjoyed last night's show. Pity there was no BBB forum for us to chatter in, as that makes it all much more bearable.

I thought the challenge was pretty good. It looks like Annelise could be a bit of a "challenge beast" ... although, that said, we'll need to see more challenges to really know for sure.

And Dion played his sob story card. It does sound like there's a real back-story about his Mum there. It did show a different side to him ... so there is probably more to him than meets the eye.

And then, somewhat not surprisingly, it ended with the usual "person of colour being the first voted out" again.

At what point does it cost more to channel 7 and to the BB franchise to actually let a bad season show (eg reputation, people actively choosing something else to watch and then not coming back to the channel for the rest of the evening), as opposed to just wearing the cost of production and shelving it without screening it? Surely there must have been some debate with this season which way to go? I am surprised they have wasted any money with advertising.
I am surprised they didnt just air this season as a "7plus exclusive" from the get-go!

How many seasons had this happened? I thought "of course again."

First evicted:

Ten
S1 Andy (Brazilian)

S2 Damian (Asian)
S3 Irena (Eastern European heritage?)
S4 Aphrodite (Greek)
S5 Angela
S6 Tilli
S7 Kate
S8 Saxon

Nine
S9 Charne
S10 Sharon
S11 Gemma

Seven
S12 Laura (Fijian-Australian)
S13 Max
VIP Omarosa (African American)
S14 Josh

S15 Quan (Vietnamese?)

Obviously the Ten and Nine seasons were audience-based evictions and my definition of "non-white" is a bit loose, but arguably seasons 1-4 evicted a POC/non-Anglo first each time. On Seven though, the HMs have evicted a POC first three times out of five. OTOH you could argue if Dion had been up he'd probably have been evicted and probably understandably. Not so much for insisting on rock-paper-scissors, but for carrying on like a dick about it afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back