Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2024

I think it wouldn't be the worst thing if there were multiple country singers still around after the top 30 get further narrowed down. I mean if more than one turn out the be assets to the competition, then they should do away with the whole "one token country singer" thing that they do every year.

My Auditions Ep 4 thoughts

Isaac - Bruises - immediately like himself voice. He knows how to tell a story and that probably comes from his rough upbringing. He’s lived a life and his voice tells the story. His phrasing is really nice. I actually went back and listened to it again I enjoyed that performance so much. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Beth - Afterglow - I can acknowledge her talent but the singing in italics as I’ve heard it described is not really my thing. There were moments when she sang more straight and I really liked her voice then, she doesn’t always hav that italics phrasing. I just don’t think I could listen to a whole album or enjoy a solo concert. But she is very good (lol at Kyle not getting his vote in). ⭐⭐

Sam - really like his range and tone. Country is growing in popularity in Australia. This isn’t your typical deep country, but a bit more Keith Urban-ish. ⭐⭐⭐

Jet (16yo) - This City - “I’ve been listening to Sam Fischer ever since I was young “ - haha cute. Wow. Rich tone! He really did well to continue singing when Sam walked in. Very cute. His voice may still be breaking a bit but he has a lot of potential for such a young guy, I don’t even mind the little breaks at the end of his phrasing. Marcia saying his voice has pathos is a beautiful way to describe the vulnerability and little breaks. I like him ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Kym - she’s got a pop voice for sure. Reminds me of someone else but I can’t quite think who. Good vibrato and control over her voice. She’s a natural performer too. Cute and fun! Very marketable. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Georgia Renee - I wasn’t expecting her to be as good as she was. Very smooth and easy to listen to. Has she got veneers or maybe it was like Invisalign? I feel like she wasn’t enunciating the words clearly sometimes. Seems like a very sweet person. ⭐⭐⭐

Jesse - Talking to the Moon - he’s a bit green but definitely has potential. Decent range and some interesting vocal choices. Probably pretty marketable. Interested to hear what else he can sign / do with his voice. ⭐⭐⭐

Top 39 verdict
  • Isaac and Sam. Doesn’t really make sense to pit these two together as they are quite different, it shows how this whole callback thing is a bit pointless. I’m happy to have Isaac go through. Sam is a likeable guy. But Isaac has real potential.
  • Jet and Jesse. Both boys are a bit green but have interesting voices and I would be happy to see both go through. Haha and they do!!
  • Georgie, Kym and Beth. I think if I had to order I would go Kym, Georgia and then Beth. (That’s the order of the stars I gave). “When I say your name it will be a goodbye” is a bit awkward with 3. I feel sorry for Georgia, she seems so sweet. Yes to Kim 👏🏽 I was going to say it was a bit brutal to leave Beth standing there crying. Of course they put her through too. Haha.

Kym - she’s got a pop voice for sure. Reminds me of someone else but I can’t quite think who. Good vibrato and control over her voice. She’s a natural performer too. Cute and fun! Very marketable. ⭐⭐⭐⭐
[snipped]
Not sure I agree with you about Kym, Bleachy. I thought she over-auditioned to the extent that her desperation was painfully obvious.

I'm sorry to say I wasn't sold on any of the female auditioners this time around.

Isaac was a shoo-in, there's no way he wasn't getting through. I hope the whole competition goes well for him.

I would have kept Sam though. Even though his voice isn't the kind that could blow the judges away with a power ballad or some such thing... he was just so authentic, engaging, and relatable with a face you'd never forget, that I think he has more "it factor" than some who got through. If he just could have been in the game for one more round it would have been interesting to see how he did.

Oh, and by the way, HOW FUCKING GOOD IS MARCIA!?
Such a breath of fresh air. So glad she's back. Such an icon.

Marcia has this warmth that always radiates through the TV screen or the screen of your device, that might be one reason why Idol so far is rating pretty well and thrashing Survivor over on Ten.
The negative for me is Kyle Sandilands, not sure what use he is on that panel.

I missed these earlier. I could not agree harder! She is quite literally a breath of fresh air and how she wasn’t included in last years revival is mind boggling. Can probably assume that she would have been a fair bit cheaper than Megan or Harry too. She was always my favourite, and I feel like this year is even better than I remembered her as a judge originally. I’m actually really liking the combination of the three judges this year. If only they didn’t do this silly callback thing. And if they do more weeks of live then it truly would be excellent

Not sure I agree with you about Kym, Bleachy. I thought she over-auditioned to the extent that her desperation was painfully obvious.

I'm sorry to say I wasn't sold on any of the female auditioners this time around.

Isaac was a shoo-in, there's no way he wasn't getting through. I hope the whole competition goes well for him.

I would have kept Sam though. Even though his voice isn't the kind that could blow the judges away with a power ballad or some such thing... he was just so authentic, engaging, and relatable with a face you'd never forget, that I think he has more "it factor" than some who got through. If he just could have been in the game for one more round it would have been interesting to see how he did.
Fair enough. I do get that. I just think Kym could walk into a recording booth and lay down solid vocals tomorrow for a pop banger.

I agree that the men are certainly stronger this year so far.

Ooooh.... I'm watching the show with family right now, and there are people present who know Kiara (or did anyway). For some context... I come from a family of professional musicians (I'm not one myself). Not sure how much else I should say beyond that.

I thought Georgie(?) (broke Amy Shark girl) was great, but she's not the pop star they're looking for. Probably would have done better on The Voice.
The trolley kid was also really good.

Man, I HATE this callback this. It sucks. Just put them all through and whittle it down after that. Basically one audition song, decides the Top 30? They don't even get a second chance to sing.
Plus, they're putting through people that are good on the day, but the following days have better people.
I dunno, this part has fucked the season for me.

Ricki-Lee’s Burn It Down playing over the intro package at the start ❤️❤️

Riley - You Are The Reason - quite a pure, strong, controlled vocal. Good range, he hit a bit of a bass note as well as a clear falsetto. You can tell he’s has some good vocal training. I was very impressed with this audition. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Tayla - Jolene. Sweet but maybe a bit weak. ⭐⭐

Brooklyn - Riptide - mature voice with nice tone. Something a little bit interesting in the vocal. ⭐⭐⭐

Kiara - Before He Cheats - strong typical country vocal. I like her little growl. Good song choice for her voice, even though Carrie Underwood is seriously impressive and probably hard to cover well. ⭐⭐⭐

Gab - Land Down Under - unique rasp and vibrato. Like a cross between Chad Kroger and James Blunt. Makes him quite fascinating to listen to. I prefer when the vibrato isn’t as strong and he belts with more of a rasp. Amy says good guitarist, I thought not so much. ⭐⭐⭐

Denvah - Pony - interesting yodel. Perfect song choice for her voice. Very nice to listen to her sing one song, not sure how engaged I would be with a whole album or a whole concert. ⭐⭐⭐

Jess - Domino - the whole concert outside thing was so obviously pre planned but allowed to to step the performance up a bit, but then make it go into a bit of an over-done performance. She’s got a strong voice tho. ⭐⭐⭐

Shaylee - Make You Feel My Love - another young girl with a mature voice. Strong audition. RIcki in tears 🥲. I’m glad she was unaccompanied. Her voice was strong enough to stand alone. I really enjoyed her, they need some strong girls ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Christina - Toxic - she said she was vocally u trained and it showed, she tried to throw everything at it which made the performance feel a bit messy. ⭐

Jackson - Eyes Closed - he almost crossed into the singing in italics thing either his phrasing and enunciation (which as I’ve said, is not appealing to me) but what was pleasing was the tone and raspiness of his voice. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Callback bit
- Country girls - understand taking Denvah with the uniqueness of her voice. I would have liked Kiara as well.

- Poor Riley. He definitely would have had a spot in the next round if they weren’t doing this stupid callback thing. They don’t even give them the chance to sing again. How can you go from the judges loving you, Kyle even standing and applauding to not having a spot without even another performance or any feedback as to why. Seriously dumb!!

- When they replayed Jackson’s performance it even gave me a hint of Deni Hines’ vibrato. I understand them taking Jackson and Gab, both interesting voices.

- Shaylee was robbed! Jess was good, but Shaylee had more marketability imo. I agree with Christina not having a spot.

Auditions 6

Ashli - somebody to love - musical theatre. I can see Kyle not liking her. Intense eye contact. Big voice, big performance. Didn’t particularly engage me, but she’s talented. ⭐⭐️ (I feel like we probably didn’t actually get to see what Amy wanted to say about her when they sent her out). Brutal to send her out and then not to take her through.

Family band - On Par

Isaac - LOVE - didn’t expect such a rich and deep voice. Not the best performance but he has potential. ⭐⭐

Caleb - believe (Adam lambert style) - smooth and silky voice. I wanted to hear more. ⭐⭐⭐

Jacob - Faith - decent voice, perhaps not the best song choice to showcase his ability ⭐

Eli - Story of My Life - ok yeah Eli is the best of the group. His presentation was a bit awkward, needs some performance coaching, but has the most impressive voice. ⭐⭐⭐

Marcia says the last one is the one she would keep, she’s right! Haha. Queen.

Side note: I really wanted to hear them sing together. Anyone know their socials? (I found them @onparr_ but they don’t have many performances on there)

Eli and Caleb through. Yep that would have been my choice. 👍🏽

Kiani - 2002 - one of those ready to go pop packages imo. She’s cute and talented. She made some good choices vocally. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Prayer - Big Jet Plane - looked like she was struggling a bit with the guitar. You can tell she’s played gigs where people aren’t really looking at her, she doesn’t seem to be making eye contact with the judges. I really like her voice. Smooth and sweet. (Not bad having dad on harmony - take him on tour!) yep Marcia nailed it, look up! ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Olivia - I Kissed a Girl - hard song for audition. Her voice is sweeter than I expected for a rock chick. Big range. A little OTT on the performance side, but she exudes confidence and does have some nice tone and decent control. ⭐⭐⭐

Kobe - Just The Way You Are - Marcia knows what! Very nice without the piano. Sweet voice. Some nice licks and runs in his vocal. A bit of a diamond on the rough this one (haha Marcia says he doesn’t have to do all the licks; I didn’t think he overdid it) ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Nikisha - Trouble - hit her strides when she sang in full voice. The lower register wasn’t as strong or interesting. ⭐⭐

Callback bit
- Caleb, Eli and Kobe - I will never not say it. How dumb to put them through and then cut them without another performance at least. Happy for Eli and Kobe tho.

- Nikisha and Kiani. Easy choice here imo. And the judges made the right one.

- Olivia and Prayer. - put them both through! 👏🏽

I was trying to figure out why Olivia looked so familiar. I've finally worked out that she reminds me of JoJo Siwa. And now I can go to sleep.

Riley - You Are The Reason - quite a pure, strong, controlled vocal. Good range, he hit a bit of a bass note as well as a clear falsetto. You can tell he’s has some good vocal training. I was very impressed with this audition. ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I am still upset, and kind of stunned, he didn't get through to the Top 30.

Final auditions.

Imogen - I Have Nothing - she said Ricki was her first album, I wonder if she knows that Ricki actually did this song on idol. Very sweet, smooth and almost peaceful voice. Very talented with the runs, maybe did a little too much but knowing when and how to use the runs will come with some training. This was a great song to showcase her voice and range. Very nice. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

(Marcia says she thinks they are looking at the next Australian Idol… so she probably won’t make it to the final 30 🙄

Jacqueline - don’t rain on my parade - very musical theatre, but a powerful strong voice. They didn’t put her through, but very gracious and great attitude.

Chanai - River - I don’t remember her from last year. I think this song showcased her ability better that at least the clips showed of last year. She certainly had some talent and a big voice. There’s something intriguing. I don’t mind her ⭐⭐⭐️ haha I feel like they are playing up the aggressive side, but I think she deserves a shot. I feel like she might not make it through the next round, but knowing what she’s like they probably should not have even out her through at all.

Blanche - Rise Up- Islanders produce a ridiculously high percentage of amazing singers, it’s part of their culture, but also something physically. She has a beautiful clear vocal. Perhaps one of the best “on location” auditions imo. I suspected most of these were ones not ranked highly enough to bring them all to Sydney, but she is right up there. ⭐⭐⭐⭐️ (I missed that she was only 16 until the very end. Amazing!)

Harry - Talk is Cheap - nice rich deep vocal. Storyteller. Jazzy piano playing. He’s ready to go. I like him ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Adam - Elastic Heart -“we’re giving pop” he’s ready to trend on TikTok. Wow. He actually has quite a nice voice, strong soprano. ⭐⭐⭐

Jade - Shallow - she has potential but needs some lessons or vocal training to know how to breathe and use her voice. ⭐

TJ - Location - Ok so they have totally spoilt that he is going to get an immediate golden ticket. This kid looks and sounds marketable. RNB/ Hip Hop is not huge in Australia, but this due has got real potential. Now I completely understand why they are going to put him straight though. He brings something that hasn’t been brought. Probably hasn’t really been represented much in any talent show in recent years. He’s a performer. He’s got quite a smooth voice. Very easy to listen to ⭐⭐⭐⭐️ he’s very poetic even in the way he answered Marcia’s question (the water and the waves and the lights). (His mum telling him he still has to finish his degree BAHAHAHA)

Callback bit.

• Harry and Adam. Adam has a big voice but I feel Harry is more ready to go for this competition. Wow. Neither are going though. I still HATE this part. They kept them around all day just to send them home. I guess the pairing is arbitrary and they just weren’t chosen out of all the performers that day and not necessarily even against TJ.
  • Chanai and Jade - Chanai had the stronger audition imo. She’s intense but talented.
  • Imogen and Blanche - they are both pretty good. I would pick Blanche. At least they are getting a sing off. This is how the whole thing *should* have worked. Blanche sings the Voice Within - unfortunately not as captivating as her initial audition, but the judges seem impressed. Imogen has some really nice tones with some big notes too. (They both didn’t execute the high notes perfectly though) This is a hard choice. Imogen gets it! At least Marcia’s prediction lives another round.

Kyle was way too harsh on Isaac in that group round. I get that they want contestants to be able to hold their own in a conversation etc... but you don't treat a singer like that right before they perform ever. Plus, if Kyle wanted to rattle one of them that hard in this round, did it really have to be the guy who everyone knows has recent trauma in his life? It was hard to watch that. Glad he still managed to sing well.

Back