Skip to main content

Alone Australia

I really wanted to like Alone but finding the UK version hard work. Will probably see it through as it's only six eps but annoying how the focus is on different people week to week. Also feels like they're all camping rather than setting up to survive long term.

I really wanted to like Alone but finding the UK version hard work. Will probably see it through as it's only six eps but annoying how the focus is on different people week to week. Also feels like they're all camping rather than setting up to survive long term.

None of them on the UK seem all that experienced. I've watched the first too and thought it was perfectly fine. Lots of bears.

Most interested by Naomi.

OK can you please either set up a separate Alone UK thread or use spoiler tags if you discuss it in this one? I have only located the first two eps (and haven't got to them yet). Thanks.

Nobody has posted any spoilers there really Timmy. Indeed I've watched three episodes and I've no idea who Naomi is.

I'll try and remember to tag any actual spoilers - but that would involve remembering peoples names. Whether it's the format or the editing I find it really hard to connect to the cast in this show - even for an old school reality fan like me it's perhaps too stripped back. You'd think the conflict with nature would be enough but perhaps it needs to be done in pair so there is some human interaction and potentially conflict too. Indeed arguably being stranded with your partner or a family member is a tougher challenge than being stranded on your own.

Last edited:
Nobody has posted any spoilers there really Timmy. Indeed I've watched three episodes and I've no idea who Naomi is.

I'll try and remember to tag any actual spoilers - but that would involve remembering peoples names. Whether it's the format or the editing I find it really hard to connect to the cast in this show - even for an old school reality fan like me it's perhaps too stripped back. You'd think the conflict with nature would be enough but perhaps it needs to be done in pair so there is some human interaction and potentially conflict too. Indeed arguably being stranded with your partner or a family member is a tougher challenge than being stranded on your own.

Naomi is the one who went in wearing lots of make-up and still somehow looks like she has make-up.

My interest with her was peaked because superficially she came across one way, but then watching it you see she builds a decent shelter. Then reveals how she got really into survival stuff etc. There's not much for many. This one's the vegetarian. A guy has a weird foot.

It's an interesting issue with the show. Sometimes in the US version, it's annoying they seem to ignore some people in the early days and episodes. Yet this shows the issue with jumping around to everyone. You never really focus in on anyone's specific storyline.

Naomi is the one who went in wearing lots of make-up and still somehow looks like she has make-up.

My interest with her was peaked because superficially she came across one way, but then watching it you see she builds a decent shelter. Then reveals how she got really into survival stuff etc. There's not much for many. This one's the vegetarian. A guy has a weird foot.

It's an interesting issue with the show. Sometimes in the US version, it's annoying they seem to ignore some people in the early days and episodes. Yet this shows the issue with jumping around to everyone. You never really focus in on anyone's specific storyline.
I've watched all the US episodes. It seems that many of them are less eager to film themselves & are busy setting up water, shelter & food. So it's only the camera hogs (too many singers lol) who show up early days.

I've watched all the US episodes. It seems that many of them are less eager to film themselves & are busy setting up water, shelter & food. So it's only the camera hogs (too many singers lol) who show up early days.

I assume they'd be instructed to film constantly. Unless walking around. Set up the tripod camera. Have your hand held one. Turn the GoPro strapped to yourself on and so forth. Then the editors sort through a lot of boring footage probably on fast forward.

Some stuff would come down to their proclivities to film. Woniya from s6 and Alone: Frozen talked about how she filmed stuff in s6 to show her philosophy when it comes to being a survivalist. Yet that didn't make the show. In Frozen she decided to not do that again and her philosophy came through on the show.

I keep forgetting I want to do this. Tim Noonan, the person who taught the Alone Australia contestants how to film themselves as a free 1 hour online class in how to film yourself and make content.

It's never too late to start a career as a travel blogger on youtube is it? I have gone and done cool stuff. Filmed stuff, but never know what to do with it. Earlier this year I was diving in Bali and I have some cool GoPro footage but it did make me think next time I should write out a plan of how to actually construct something that would work better. What are all the shots around, before and after the dive footage. Should I start at the airport leaving or landing. Footage of travelling. Making sure to film shots of equipment, dive centers, beaches, boats etc. Whether to suck it up, get over the sound of my voice and do voice overs or to camera stuff. Now that would take a lot of practice and planning.

End of tangent.

I assume they'd be instructed to film constantly. Unless walking around. Set up the tripod camera. Have your hand held one. Turn the GoPro strapped to yourself on and so forth. Then the editors sort through a lot of boring footage probably on fast forward.

Some stuff would come down to their proclivities to film. Woniya from s6 and Alone: Frozen talked about how she filmed stuff in s6 to show her philosophy when it comes to being a survivalist. Yet that didn't make the show. In Frozen she decided to not do that again and her philosophy came through on the show.

I keep forgetting I want to do this. Tim Noonan, the person who taught the Alone Australia contestants how to film themselves as a free 1 hour online class in how to film yourself and make content.

It's never too late to start a career as a travel blogger on youtube is it? I have gone and done cool stuff. Filmed stuff, but never know what to do with it. Earlier this year I was diving in Bali and I have some cool GoPro footage but it did make me think next time I should write out a plan of how to actually construct something that would work better. What are all the shots around, before and after the dive footage. Should I start at the airport leaving or landing. Footage of travelling. Making sure to film shots of equipment, dive centers, beaches, boats etc. Whether to suck it up, get over the sound of my voice and do voice overs or to camera stuff. Now that would take a lot of practice and planning.

End of tangent
Great tangent! Golly! if your photography is onlly half as good as your verbal descriptions, those are films I'd love to see! Cheers!

Spoilerish, but a generic question rather than contestant related.

We're on ep 4/6 and it's only Day 14/15, which somewhat suggests it's not long till it's over - perhaps another week rather than 3 months.

Or is it common in the edit that as fewer remain the time period in each episode increases, so the last 2 or 3 may be in the final ep but it covers weeks rather than days.

Spoilerish, but a generic question rather than contestant related.

We're on ep 4/6 and it's only Day 14/15, which somewhat suggests it's not long till it's over - perhaps another week rather than 3 months.

Or is it common in the edit that as fewer remain the time period in each episode increases, so the last 2 or 3 may be in the final ep but it covers weeks rather than days.

The time always speeds up later on in the season. As those that remain tend to have figured out some semblance of actually surviving. It's always so amazing in some seasons how little quite a few people last.

I can't remember if I mentioned it but I liked Alone: The Skills Challenge. Don't watch unless you're up to date on Alone US as it'll spoil some of the seasons. It's past contestants just doing some skills challenges. It depends what you're into though. My girlfriend doesn't like it because she likes Alone more for the people side of it than the practical.

They definitely tick through the days a lot faster once there are fewer people left. Must make the editing decisions easier. X caught something here, Y had an accident there, Z is starving and getting frostbite, whatever.

Alone UK
Damn, they must have been worried everyone would tap. It has to be a contingency to tell the remaining few they're the last few if they're worried everyone will tap early.

Alone UK
Damn, they must have been worried everyone would tap. It has to be a contingency to tell the remaining few they're the last few if they're worried everyone will tap early.

Thanks. I managed to catch up and watched the finale yesterday. UK needs to get their shit together because this version was a train wreck. Bad casting plus deviating too much from the original format was a recipe for disaster.

Thanks. I managed to catch up and watched the finale yesterday. UK needs to get their shit together because this version was a train wreck. Bad casting plus deviating too much from the original format was a recipe for disaster.
I haven't seen the finale. Can't find it anywhere. I see some things saying it aired, others saying it airs next week. No idea.

Back