Skip to main content

Alone Australia

After that last episode, my favourites moved around a little bit.
Kate
While she seems likeable, when she started talking about not hunting game / animals I feel her care for the possums and the wildlife. But you're in a survival situation. You really need to feed yourself. I don't see her prospects being good unless she can start eating nuts and leaves and grubs and so on.
Chris
PTSD must be hard. We really got to experience it seeing it as an audience. His hollering I found annoying, but hey it's tv. His yabby catching didn't seem well thought out, almost like a 5 year old would go catch yabbies. But then who am I to talk lol
GinaIf you're going to eat that sedge, maybe it's nearer the roots, where its soft? Also drinking salt water on an empty stomach. Probably not the best idea? Curious!
Mike
I was really impressed with his canoe, but is he maybe launching it in a bad location, right near all those dead trees ? He turned my thoughts around when he repaired it and did a big trip. But he came back with nothing, shattered, and needing to conserve energy.
MichaelDid he mention religion this episode ? I think he went through an episode and didn't bring it up! We didn't get much Mike content I felt, but he seems to be thriving.

"Alone will finish the year ahead of major reality shows on rival networks including Ten’s Survivor and Nine’s Lego Masters, which averaged around 1 million viewers each. It may even beat Seven’s Farmer Wants A Wife, currently averaging 1.2 million viewers – although the final ratings for Farmer and Lego Masters won’t be available until 28 days after their finales have screened."

No doubt benefitted from not airing 3-4 times a week for an hour and a half. Indeed do SBS still have to air programmes without ad breaks?

No doubt benefitted from not airing 3-4 times a week for an hour and a half. Indeed do SBS still have to air programmes without ad breaks?

No, they've had ads for years, but much less than the commercial channels: just five minutes per hour.

Also, their online view numbers are being boosted by overseas Alone fans, watching SBS ON Demand via VPNs. But shhhhh.

So it's an hour with limited ads once a week rather than 90 minutes three times a week packed full of ads.

So it's an hour with limited ads once a week rather than 90 minutes three times a week packed full of ads.

Yes, if only the commercial networks would take note. Stripped 90-100 minute eps are just exhausting. I just can't any more.

Anyway, a great finale. My Day 57 tip was pretty close to the Day 67 result. I won't say anything else until tomorrow. Except that the reunion had Amanda Keller hosting which was a bizarre choice. Very awkward.

Congrats to the star of the show Gina for being the well deserved winner. Jebus that reunion show was a train wreck. Bit disappointed no-one left here to chat with. There were around 100 people on the Reddit sub watching live and chatting there though. This season got off to such a disappointing start with so many tapping out early. For a while there it looked like it could be all over in three weeks, but of course you only need two good players to last the distance which is how we made it to Day 67.

US season 10 starts on SBS on, um, 9 June I think.

Who at SBS thought, Amanda Keller, that well-known loner and survivalist, would be a suitable choice to host the reunion? So bizarre. It was really aggravating to have it be essentially a clip show, with her interjecting shallow observations and insensitive questions.

Also annoying was the way the promos had Gina gnawing on those red bones, so until I saw (what I imagined would be the bones of a giant fish) that scene I knew she would still be in; ditto Michael saying so poignantly, "Oh, my heart". It was spoilerish.

These are just my complaints. I was really thrilled to see the winner win, and it was so lovely to see Chris at the reunion, beaming and happy to be there and just so engaged.

Who at SBS thought, Amanda Keller, that well-known loner and survivalist, would be a suitable choice to host the reunion? So bizarre. It was really aggravating to have it be essentially a clip show, with her interjecting shallow observations and insensitive questions.

Also annoying was the way the promos had Gina gnawing on those red bones, so until I saw (what I imagined would be the bones of a giant fish) that scene I knew she would still be in; ditto Michael saying so poignantly, "Oh, my heart". It was spoilerish.

Absolutely agree. That reunion was totally cringe. My sister is still catching up (I did warn her to watch it all prior to Wednesday or she'd get spoiled but she didn't listen to me and found out Gina had won via ABC, of all places), but I gave her strict instructions to avoid the reunion at all costs. I think the mere mention of Keller was enough though.

The scene of Gina tucking into that carcass in the early promos was a massive spoiler, because week after week it hadn't happened so you knew she'd made it far into the season. And same with Michael. They should only use footage from the first couple eps for those promos. Obviously they realised at some point a few weeks in, and dropped the carcass scene, but it was too late, they'd already spoilt it.

So I hope they have learnt something from this season. And I'd really like them to do the next season on NZ's west coast (South Island), where they can hunt woolly mammoths and stuff. Not some man-made lake full of dead tree stumps, devoid of all edible life.

I only finished watching tonight. called it quits after 15 minutes of watching the reunion. but mostly because it is late. I do want to hear what they all have to say but, after reading this it doesn’t sound positive.

I didn’t get spoilt, but i kind of had a strong hunch Gina was going to win when it was just michael, mike and Gina left. And the spoiler feast hadn’t occurred. Agree about that spoiler, there surely is so much other stuff they could squeeze in the intros / promo. Also they seemed to be showing us a lot of mike getting checked by the medics which was suspicious.

I’m watching season 2 of alone US and that season 2 has been leaps and bounds more interesting than the first season for me, while season 1 was good it was a bit gloomy. Season 2’s editing is filled with interesting, delicious moments and a great cast that has you glued to the screen.

Anyway back to alone australia. was it just me or did they release episode 9, 10 & 11 in one batch? i was keeping up with it over the weekends, but with those huge final dump I had a hard time finding time to get through it all. or did i miss a weekend at some point?

Horrid countryside, but incredible those two spent over two months out there. I think even if those day 1 & 2 quitters gave it their best they didn’t stand a chance against these two titans.

Gina really deserved it, that was epic!

In case anyone is interested in AloneUS (furthest north Saskatchewan) season 10 contestants
(I have the link for free streaming, w/o commercials link. PM if interested)

I only finished watching tonight. called it quits after 15 minutes of watching the reunion. but mostly because it is late. I do want to hear what they all have to say but, after reading this it doesn’t sound positive.

I didn’t get spoilt, but i kind of had a strong hunch Gina was going to win when it was just michael, mike and Gina left. And the spoiler feast hadn’t occurred. Agree about that spoiler, there surely is so much other stuff they could squeeze in the intros / promo. Also they seemed to be showing us a lot of mike getting checked by the medics which was suspicious.

I’m watching season 2 of alone US and that season 2 has been leaps and bounds more interesting than the first season for me, while season 1 was good it was a bit gloomy. Season 2’s editing is filled with interesting, delicious moments and a great cast that has you glued to the screen.

Anyway back to alone australia. was it just me or did they release episode 9, 10 & 11 in one batch? i was keeping up with it over the weekends, but with those huge final dump I had a hard time finding time to get through it all. or did i miss a weekend at some point?

Horrid countryside, but incredible those two spent over two months out there. I think even if those day 1 & 2 quitters gave it their best they didn’t stand a chance against these two titans.

Gina really deserved it, that was epic!
horrid countryside indeed, haha I watched this video just to remind me of how beautiful all of australia is

I've been absolutely loving this show. haven't finished it yet (up to Ep 6) but some big questions loom. How come Gina doesn't start looking for food until day 20? What is she actually doing all day? Ditto a lot of the others - Mike, Kate hardly seem concerned whereas I would be fishing every damn second I'm not trying to keep warm. I saw on the American "list" that they can actually choose several food items, and Gina has salt so perhaps the others are just sitting around eating jerky? Poor Mike, he is by far the most skilled but he can't seem to take a trick. Everyone else is catching fish pretty easily and he is starving in a goddamn kayak!

I've been absolutely loving this show. haven't finished it yet (up to Ep 6) but some big questions loom. How come Gina doesn't start looking for food until day 20? What is she actually doing all day? Ditto a lot of the others - Mike, Kate hardly seem concerned whereas I would be fishing every damn second I'm not trying to keep warm. I saw on the American "list" that they can actually choose several food items, and Gina has salt so perhaps the others are just sitting around eating jerky? Poor Mike, he is by far the most skilled but he can't seem to take a trick. Everyone else is catching fish pretty easily and he is starving in a goddamn kayak!
Gina put on 20kg to go on the show, so she was not worried about food she said.
If I was there the first thing I would do, is a good shelter, no rain, no wind, fire inside with chimney, bear proof, well not in Au, lol, bed of the ground and then I would look for food. But being Vegan I would never survive there, that's why I didn't apply :shamefully: Nothing to do with being scared of the dark, all alone at night

Back