Skip to main content

2023 Referendum: Indigenous Voice to Parliament

You know what's fucked? That a referendum needs a majority of people AND states to pass.
Fuck the states bit off. A majority of Australian's, regardless of where they live, should be what it takes to pass anything.
Does the NT and ACT count for nothing?

You know what's fucked? That a referendum needs a majority of people AND states to pass.
Fuck the states bit off. A majority of Australian's, regardless of where they live, should be what it takes to pass anything.
Does the NT and ACT count for nothing?

NT and ACT count for the 'majority of people' part only. But yes, the double majority thing is bullshit.

Changing the constitution ought to happen extremely rarely and for only very good reason with clear, overwhelming support. It should not be easy to game!

They could drop the double majority and make the threshold 55% though.
I would argue that the number should be much higher in that case.

To be clear I’m not pulling this quote out to make any particular comment on the topic of the current referendum (and this article was published in 2019)

While it was not to be made “absolutely impossible”, the constitution should not be easily capable of change upon “any fluctuation of public opinion” or in response to a crisis of a temporary character.

The closer you get to a simple 50% majority as opposed to any higher number, or additional requirements, the more susceptible we are to change due to fluctuation of public opinion or to be politically ‘gamed’

I’m quite satisfied with the rigor of the current system.

How would you propose making referendums fairer to people from the territories though?
I think due to population numbers, it’s probably a robust enough system. The 6 states include approx 97% of the population.

I guess it could be changed to include the two larger territories and become a 5 of 8 instead of the current 4 of 6 rule.

Interestingly NT rejected becoming a state in a close vote referendum in 1998.

Last edited:
Bit ironic in a referendum about an Indigenous Voice the place that has a high (highest?) population of Indigenous people doesn't get as much of a say. Would make more sense if they keep the double majority to include NT with SA, and ACT with NSW.

55% or even 60% I'd be ok with. I'd even contemplate a 2/3rds majority.
But majority of states is just wrong in my opinion.
I did some research and the reason this was implemented was to stop NSW and Victoria from holding too much power and changing the constitution against the smaller states wishes. I think most people know that Sydney and Melbourne hold extremely different views than regional NSW / Victoria, so getting lumped together doesn't make much sense. I'm sure the same applies for WA which is huge.

I still don't completely understand this but it really isn't a good look that the decision on whether to give increase representation to aboriginal communities was put in the hands of a largely white electorate.

I still don't completely understand this but it really isn't a good look that the decision on whether to give increase representation to aboriginal communities was put in the hands of a largely white electorate.

The government could still legislate for an Indigenous Voice, only difference being it wouldn't be enshrined in the Constitution. But I don't think they'll be in any hurry after this result. They have handled it so badly from the start.

Disappointing result, but unfortunately the misinformation from the likes of Dutton and co won in the end. Albo definitely could have handled it a lot better, but at the end of the day, he fulfilled his election promise and let Australia vote.

I feel this.
I just want him to do more, you know. I’m happy to see Labor in charge again, but fuck me, do something!

Plibersek, alleged Environment Minister, keeps approving mines! They are FUBAR.

All the Teal seats voted Yes (well, as I post this, in Curtin and Mackeller Yes is leading but too close to call). They were all Liberal seats previously. Libs will be taking note of this and wondering if these seats can ever be reclaimed.

I'm curious to see what the Indigenous people who voted 'No' think is going to happen next.
Do they think a treaty is just around the corner? Land Rights?
I feel reconciliation in this country has been pushed back by at least a decade.

They would be at least risk of Murdoch and No campaign's lies, disinformation and other propaganda, so I would imagine that would be a factor.

Back