Skip to main content

2023 Referendum: Indigenous Voice to Parliament

They would be at least risk of Murdoch and No campaign's lies, disinformation and other propaganda, so I would imagine that would be a factor.
This has been the information I have been wanting to see for the last couple of days, because I have been wondering if maybe this was a case of well meaning white people projecting what indigenous people wanted and it actually wasn't. I had seen al the things about the statement from the heart, etc so I thought they did but maybe I had misunderstood? Now I get it - the people in these remote communities had voted yes - just the no votes in the same rather large electorates enveloped their voices. They never ever stood a chance of this getting over the line with the campaigns that were run.

They never ever stood a chance of this getting over the line with the campaigns that were run.

It was too easy for Dutton. The moment the Coalition said they wouldn't support it it was game over. And to reduce it to "Don't know? Vote no" gave the masses permission to switch off completely and vote no with no conscience whatsoever. Having said that, the whole shemozzle was appallingly handled by the government. They should have secured bilateral support before putting it to a referendum, and without that support they could still have legislated a Voice. Now we've ended up with nothing. Can always rely on Labor to fuck things up. I mean, we got marriage equality up under a Coalition government ffs. To the Australian public, gay is ok, but indigenous? Oh no! How dare those brown people try to have a voice in our society. Where are those shackles? I'm so angry. I couldn't even turn on the news yesterday. Fuck Australia, I am never living there again.

I know history tells us that you need bi-partisan support to pass any changes to the constitution, but I think the same sex marriage plebiscite shows it can be done. I know technically not the same thing, and voting was optional (79.5% turnout), but there was a clear divide in the political parties and it did succeed.

I think young people was the determining factor in the referendum. 18 - 39 years old make up 35% of the voters (6.1M) but even they were disenfranchised with the whole thing. I also find it the most disappointing. Young people generally have more progressive views than the previous generations. They're more accepting and forward thinking (think trans rights, same sex marriage, euthanasia, legalising marijuana, abortion / womens rights, etc) so I thought for sure a strong majority would vote yes.

Labor fucked up. Albo didn't take the time to explain the Voice in greater detail until it was too late. Then you've got Dutton and Co screaming that he should have pulled out weeks ago. That was clearly not going to happen. Love him or hate him, at least Albo actually attempted to fulfil one of his election promises, which is more than I can say about the Coalition. Albo needs to step the fuck up, tackle the cost of living crisis and actually do something for a change.

I hope Dutton and his mob are proud of successfully orchestrating one of the biggest misinformation campaigns in Australian history. Trashy politics.

It's clear Australian's aren't interested, so I look forward to seeing how Warren Mundine, Jacinta Price, Lydia Thorpe & co plan to engage Australian's and improve the lives of Indigenous Australians. '

It was too easy for Dutton. The moment the Coalition said they wouldn't support it it was game over. And to reduce it to "Don't know? Vote no" gave the masses permission to switch off completely and vote no with no conscience whatsoever. Having said that, the whole shemozzle was appallingly handled by the government. They should have secured bilateral support before putting it to a referendum, and without that support they could still have legislated a Voice. Now we've ended up with nothing. Can always rely on Labor to fuck things up. I mean, we got marriage equality up under a Coalition government ffs. To the Australian public, gay is ok, but indigenous? Oh no! How dare those brown people try to have a voice in our society. Where are those shackles? I'm so angry. I couldn't even turn on the news yesterday. Fuck Australia, I am never living there again.
Have you heard about the likely referendum that will happen as a consequence of the election in nz? Almost the opposite proposition, wanting Maori to have less voice.

It's clear Australian's aren't interested, so I look forward to seeing how Warren Mundine, Jacinta Price, Lydia Thorpe & co plan to engage Australian's and improve the lives of Indigenous Australians. '
Like you I would like to know what these people think is better than doing what a majority of what their mob wanted.

Have you heard about the likely referendum that will happen as a consequence of the election in nz? Almost the opposite proposition, wanting Maori to have less voice.

No, what's going on there?

Back