Skip to main content

Rewatching BB Australia 2013 (while waiting for new season)

Rose711

Australian Survivor- Best Survivor Ever
Awesome site donor
Hey guys.

I am bored to tears by Big Brother US and decided to rewatch the last season of big brother Australia.
Anyone interested in rewatching and making comments with me?

I've already noticed that Ben really fades into the background once he becomes a familiar character. I liked him on the season, but watching him again, I noticed how much he was just doing his own thing, outside the currents of the house.

Last night I was wondering why Matt didn't go farther because at the beginning he showed a lot of promise. I forgot that Drew won the showdown, saved Jade (who had been nominated over Tim in a choice by Ed) and put up Matt. That was the same week that Matt and Ed had been all over Tully about her behavior and relationship with Drew.

Anyway, I'm having fun and ill probably start rewatching in a more regular order later this week. I will probably skip or fast forward episodes that don't add much.

Please join in or post your own rewatch schedule. All comments are welcome!!

I guess no one is interested. I saw Tully's massive breakdown when Heidi was evicted. I had forgotten how she cries so much. She seems more than a little crazy. It does become clear how she simply cannot be alone at all and needs people propping her up constantly. Very very sad. I wonder if she will ever get out of this huge dependency issue.

You are a very dedicated fan for watching all of it all over again, congrats. :p Part of the appeal of BB (and reality tv in general) to me is the 'unscripted' ( to a large degree) drama that is unfolding before my eyes. Knowing what already happens I can't say that I share your enthusiasm and interest in watching it again. lol

I'm still getting through BB2005 again at the moment, so no BB2013 for me just yet. I'll get to rewatching it again too once I've rewatched all the other seasons in between first. :p

haha i've been quite busy this whole year watching old seasons. have gone through 2, 4 and 5 and am currently watching season 1. i seem to be in the minority in that i really didn't like season 10, so i probably won't be rewatching it... ever. :p

I don't see the point in re-watching shows like Big Brother. Once you know the eviction order, and the eventual winner, most of the fun of it just disappears...

I don't see the point in re-watching shows like Big Brother. Once you know the eviction order, and the eventual winner, most of the fun of it just disappears...
Ha ha! I don't have the time to respond to this properly right now, but all I'll say for now is that you have a lot to learn, my friend....:whistling:

it's not the destination, but the journey! it's like rereading a good book even though you already know what happens and how it ends. the ending isn't important, it's all the stuff in between.

I like rewatching because they are pretty people generally having fun. Maybe I'm more removed because I can't vote from the U.S..

haha i've been quite busy this whole year watching old seasons. have gone through 2, 4 and 5 and am currently watching season 1. i seem to be in the minority in that i really didn't like season 10, so i probably won't be rewatching it... ever. :p

I'm also rewatching season 1 currently. Admittedly it was a tiny bit slow to get back into it without the usual fanfare, but I'm really enjoying it now and and loving the innocence and simplicity of it all, and the total time trap that it is. I've been working through old seasons, but all out of order. I rewatched seasons 3, 7 and 8 as I didn't get to watch much of them when they aired and have always heard how good 3 was. It's pretty good, I skipped a lot of 8 as it was so boring.

I've come this far, I may as well just watching 2, 4, 5 & 6 after this, not sure if I'll ever make it to the Channel 9 ones but we'll see.

I have a lot of time on my hands. Like loads. I wonder if there is a better use for it than watching BB?

I'm also rewatching season 1 currently. Admittedly it was a tiny bit slow to get back into it without the usual fanfare, but I'm really enjoying it now and and loving the innocence and simplicity of it all, and the total time trap that it is. I've been working through old seasons, but all out of order. I rewatched seasons 3, 7 and 8 as I didn't get to watch much of them when they aired and have always heard how good 3 was. It's pretty good, I skipped a lot of 8 as it was so boring.

I've come this far, I may as well just watching 2, 4, 5 & 6 after this, not sure if I'll ever make it to the Channel 9 ones but we'll see.

I have a lot of time on my hands. Like loads. I wonder if there is a better use for it than watching BB?

haha i'm also watching them all out of order! starting last year after bb10 finished i've watched in this order: 8, 4, 2, 5, now 1. Just 3, 6 and 7 left. i'm loving bb1, i would love a back-to-basics season to be honest, the only thing i would change about bb1 is make it VTS and have an eviction plank. and i quite liked bb8 to be honest, it just had too many gimmicks and guests.

as for making better use of our time, it's like how Gretel Killeen said on one of the saturday shows in bb1, commenting on some fans' knowledge of the show: "they could use their brainpower to find the cure for cancer, but instead they know a lot about big brother".

Hear, hear. BB is a guilty pleasure of mine that I liken to a trashy disposable sitcom that I sit down to watch for a few cheap laughs. BB is nothing like the type of shows that I'd enjoying viewing for a second time though, life's too short for that nonsense. lol

Not that there's anything wrong with rewatching BB if that's your thing, we all watch and enjoy BB for various different reasons and that's perfectly okay. Some hardcore BB fans up in here, much respect.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Before I continue though I do have to apologize in advance for the massive reply that's about to follow. :p This isn't an attack on you or your comment - far from it actually - but I just want to voice my own thoughts on the topic and to further this discussion. I am the first to admit that not a lot of people "get" why others even would be interested in re-watching a show like Big Brother again and I agree that your remark is a valid one, but I'd also like to share my thoughts on why I, like many others here, do enjoy re-watching it. :)

As others have already stated, I don't think re-watching Big Brother is about already knowing who gets evicted and when or already knowing what happens next. If anything, it makes it more fun.

As somebody who has watched BBAU ever since the first episode in 2001 and as a 22 year-old fan of the show who has more-or-less grown up with Big Brother being a staple in our media for more than half my lifetime, I can honestly say that I have always been intrigued, fascinated and taken by the show itself, as well as its concept.

Watching every year of Big Brother as it aired and in an age when YouTube and online downloading were virtually non-existent, I, along with something like 1.5 million other Australians at the time, relished in every new episode of the show each night on TV. For most of us, however, that's all it was - the episode would air and then you'd move on. But what made Big Brother so different to other TV shows on at the time was that this was an extraordinary reality series that constantly threw out extremities, which, for the most part, relied heavily on its unplanned moments becoming the key to its success. It was constantly unpredictable - and it made people talk. The thing is, there was no YouTube, catch-up TV or TiVO where you could go back and watch an episode again if you wanted to or if you had missed it.

As a fan, there came a time for me when even I started to wish that I could go back and re-watch previous episodes of days gone by - whether it be to re-live an old favourite HM's time in the house or to see a funny moment or argument all over again. Especially after 2006 when the general viewership of the show started to decrease, there was a longing (at least for me) to be able to re-live the "glory days" that seemed to quickly dissolve, especially when rumours of the show being cancelled were in overdrive. At the same time, I wanted to somehow keep my own record of the show in case it did get taken off-air, so by 2007 I was literally recording every single episode of the show on video tapes myself, just as an archive of the show. I did this for the 2008 season too.

In the years that followed though, and with the emergence of online downloading, etc, I spent a long time hunting down the rest of the series to download. Years passed before I was finally able to obtain all 9 seasons (including CBB) prior to the show restarting on Channel 9. So I got rid of all my hastily VHS recorded copies and I now keep my entire Big Brother Australia archive, with every season so far, on a dedicated external hard-drive that I keep attached to the back of my TV.

When it comes to re-watching the show, as a fan I enjoy having the ability to go back to any part of Big Brother's lengthy history and re-watch any moment again. As I've already mentioned, I'm still in the middle of a complete series re-watch at the moment. Obviously I don't sit there all day doing nothing but watch endless episodes of Big Brother, but every now and then I do manage to find some time between work and other stuff to watch a couple more week's worth of BB episodes here and there, gradually progressing through the series. I started my current re-watch with the 2001 season almost two years ago now and I'm only just hitting the halfway mark of the 2005 season as we speak, so believe me, I don't expect anyone to feel like they should re-watch it if they don't want to. It's not like you're watching a casual season of How I Met Your Mother or Gossip Girl on DVD. Watching Big Brother in large doses is not an easy task. There are many hundreds of hours involved, but for those of us who are keen enough and most importantly enjoy doing it then I certainly don't think it's time spent wasted either.

(My post is continued in next post...the new forum only allows 10,000 characters per post. D'oh!)

Last edited:
(Sorry, the new forum only allows 10,000 characters per post so here's more...haha!)

Getting back to the point about knowing the results of the show thus "taking away all the fun", while I agree it's true that I already know exactly who gets evicted each week, it's not about that for me at all. It's about re-living the series, watching it with fresh eyes and also having the opportunity to watch several days or weeks of the show in bulk within a much shorter time-frame, which actually gives me a much more interesting outlook and way of analyzing various aspects on many different levels, including the growth of the show as a whole (not to mention its slow decline in later years too). In my opinion, Big Brother differs from all other reality shows in that sense because it's not a singing competition or a building contest that maintains the exact same concept week after week with an otherwise predictable outcome. You really never know what you're going to get with Big Brother and that is exactly what makes the concept so unique and original.

One of the benefits of watching a show like Big Brother again is the hindsight of knowing exactly what is happening and when because you do get to see it in a completely new perspective that way. You've eliminated any uncertainty one may have about who might end up winning or any concern of your favourite/least favourite HM being evicted, because what's done is done. Now is the chance to take the show for what it is and "enjoy the ride", so to speak. A recent example of my own is when I re-watched the 2004 season of the show I was able to see a totally different side to Paul who, as a 12 year-old when I watched it for the first time, I originally saw him as a very manipulative villain of sorts in the house. But re-visiting it several years later I saw Paul as somebody who played that game extremely well, a HM who I actually really loved by the end of it and, had the same show been aired today, I would have wanted him to win it 100%.

I think that the idea of being able to see the full development of a HM within a duration of what could be only 3 weeks as opposed to 3 months in such quick succession actually changes your perception of things a lot.

Another cool thing about re-watching it is, as I said, the fact that you do know the end result, therefore you witness the so-called "journey" of each HM all over again with the full knowledge of exactly where they end up in the game. This is especially true when it comes to the winner of each season. When I re-watched 2003, being able to see each episode consecutively in a shorter space of time, I realized just how truly deserving and fortunate Regina was to win that year. It is for that reason I can now honestly say that in the entire 10 regular seasons of Big Brother so far, I have never wanted any HM to win more than I did with Regina - and that's a feeling I only felt whilst re-watching that season the second time 'round.

Of-course, re-watching also has nostalgic benefits too. For me, in a weird way it's a bit like the whole "Where were you when 9/11 happened?" question. With Big Brother being such a huge part of Australian TV when I was growing up, I can distinctly remember exactly where I was when the very first episode aired and the enormous scale of success it received during its first few years on-air. I can remember the exact moment and how I felt when Merlin walked down that eviction plank and refused to speak in protest live on TV. I can remember being saddened when Christina was evicted in 2001, and being glued to the screen when Glenn was evicted and confronted by Michelle on-stage in 2005. I remember where I was when I found out Gordon from the first season had suddenly passed away overseas, and my feelings when the news eventually broke that Big Brother had been axed from Channel 10. I can understand that it might seem strange to some people but by re-watching the show all over again it does bring back these small memories from my childhood and, even if it's on more of a personal level for me, it does make you reflect back on days gone by. I can't recall any other reality shows that have that same effect.

And hey, do you know any other Aussie TV show that has its own fan forum, let alone one that's bigger than the official site itself? :smuggrin:

The evolution of Big Brother in Australia as a reality show is another aspect that stands out to me as being significant, and it's another reason why I enjoy re-watching it. The evolution of the Australian version of Big Brother, in particular, is quite incredible to watch unfold. Over the course of what is now 14 years, and having all 11 seasons practically laid out in front of you, you can actually see the show transform from something so innocent, simple and almost naive, to a pinnacle of event television in Australia, before transitioning into something that regrettably became a lot more sexualized, watching the target demographic of the show slowly shift as twists and gimmicks took over before quickly becoming the completely family-friendly edition we have today. Every season, every HM, every episode brings a totally different aspect to this multifaceted show.

One of my absolute favourite things about Big Brother is also the "social experiment" aspect and having the ability to watch these people in an isolated environment - most importantly, seeing how humans with different personalities live together and how they interact and react. At the end of the day this is exactly what Big Brother is about.

Other members above have already described re-watching BB perfectly by calling it a "time trap" and saying that it's "not about the destination, but about the journey". That's very true.

Even little things like watching older seasons as an adult, admittedly I now find myself understanding some things a lot better. There could be certain conversations or incidents that I can now relate to that I may not have been able to understand at a younger age, and things that might've completely gone over the top of my head the first time 'round. Plus, I was obviously never allowed to watched Uncut until I was about 15 so it's nice being able to go back and see some of those episodes and have a better understanding of a lot of the mature content too.

On another note, I am actually really looking forward to re-watching the 2008 season once I get up to it the most. Even as a fan, it's still the one season of BBAU that I legitimately forget about completely and at times I often fail to recall it even existed. This goes to show just how much the show changed by that point in time. Even though I watched it from start to end when it initially aired, today I struggle to remember much of what happened at all and I unfortunately believe the HM's from that season are without a doubt the most forgettable in BBAU's history. Sadly, too. But that's yet another reason I like to re-watch the show.

So yeah, sorry to bore you all with my post. :joyful: I just wanted to explain why I personally enjoy having the chance to look back on old seasons of Big Brother. I mean, once I eventually finish my complete run-through, I'm even excited to just have all the episodes on-hand for whenever I might be bored and feel like watching a random episode or two "just 'cause". :)

That's just me, though.

standing-ovation.gif

Wow @the Theorist that is easily the longest thing I have read online, normally I'd just be tl;dr but I actually managed to read every word of that. Obviously I am not going to quote that, but I totally agree with all you said.

Honestly, my partner thinks I am a fkn idiot for rewatching and cannot grasp the concept, but it actually seems totally logical to me. It made up so much of my childhood, it's just like any TV show from when I was a kid that has sentiment. I obviously only saw each episode once before it disappeared forever, having the chance to relive it and see it all through adult eyes is actually quite interesting to me. Even just small things like how old the HMs seemed when I was a teenager, but now I'm usually older than most of them, it's quite weird to see actually.

haha i'm also watching them all out of order! starting last year after bb10 finished i've watched in this order: 8, 4, 2, 5, now 1. Just 3, 6 and 7 left. i'm loving bb1, i would love a back-to-basics season to be honest, the only thing i would change about bb1 is make it VTS and have an eviction plank. and i quite liked bb8 to be honest, it just had too many gimmicks and guests.

as for making better use of our time, it's like how Gretel Killeen said on one of the saturday shows in bb1, commenting on some fans' knowledge of the show: "they could use their brainpower to find the cure for cancer, but instead they know a lot about big brother".

I would love a back to basics series, so much. I guess this was the premise in BB04 after the whole 2 houses in 03, unfortunately if they tried it now people would find it boring. BB08 wasn't as bad as I remembered, but it had a totally different vibe to it and they messed with the premise too much, going straight from 08 to 01 was like watching a different show altogether, but the show was always going to evolve.

Haha ok that Gretel quote sums me up perfectly. I definitely do not use whatever brain power I have for good, I use it to remember totally unimportant things like every stranger and their dog's birthday.

Every time I'm tempted to rewatch a prior season I do so thinking 'I can concentrate a bit more because I know the result'....but then I quickly say 'I can't be fussed because I know the result.'

Without repeating too many of my comments from last season....and to address your topics...

1) Agree re: Ben. But what else can you expect from someone with a raging case of arrested development? This isn't about gay, straight or other...this is about someone attempting to live in perpetual childhood with a mother - who was bizarre in her own right - doing him a huge disservice by encouraging and facilitating it. To claim that Ben is a vulnerable, tender-hearted person is to put the cart before the horse. He doesn't know what adulthood is like because he's never tried it.

The fascination factor you felt and quickly lost was similar to the other HMs. Ben was a curiosity nothing more and those don't last. I found it interesting that Ben dropped off the radar with the HMs, the audience and the producers simultaneously.

2) I thought Matt would walk it based on his impeccable bloke credentials and his obvious appeal to the ladies. But I think given his military background and goal-oriented mentality he was scheming from Day One and eventually decided it wasn't worth the effort to try to keep some of the more annoying HMs onside. I'm still not sure if his SNAG (Sensitive New Age Guy) persona was an act or part of his conscious effort to reenter civilian life.

3) I didn't understand, and probably never will, why so many people were bothered by the Jade/Ed/Drew/Tully drama. It was EXACTLY what all concerned hope Big Brother will produce every year but rarely does! The tasks, games and the nominations process is meant to form and test relationships, romantic or otherwise, not to prove the HMs can blow up balloons or take care of a giant fake baby. But romance will always win out over simple friendship and it's a hell of a lot more interesting than hearing two HMs talk about their holidays. Too many people simply lost their minds re: Tully.

4) I know you didn't mention him but I'll slip in a word about Tim. As I said at the time, Tim is a merely a symptom. In the early years of BB (quite a few in fact), the producers, the audience, the HMs were all about identifying the most genuine, humble, reliable person and rewarding him/her for being - as cliche'd as it may be - quintessentially Aussie. Now with Tim it's possibly the definition of 'quintessentially Aussie' may have changed but I don't think so. The audience, however, has changed drastically. Social media, whatever you think of it, has produced a constant stream of 'look at me!' noise and in a house free of phones, iPads and laptops, Tim was their version of Twitter.

If someone was talking, Tim would interrupt. If someone was talking loudly, Tim would shout. If someone was shouting, Tim would scream. In a house with a finite number of HMs and cameras mounted on every surface, Tim still believed that he had to seek out attention at all times, at all costs. You may say 'it worked - he won' but there is such a thing as a Pyrrhic victory and that describes Tim's win - not necessarily for him but for all the other sociopaths who thought Tim was good value.

I don't understand why you @Rose711 are re-watching a season you have already seen... why not give a different season a go?
I liked these housemates a lot. I can skip through stuff that doesn't interest me. There is just something about the show that is so refreshing compared to the tedious and unimaginative US version, that I find it fun. I am not sure I would enjoy a past season as much.

I didn't think about it being hundreds of hours to rewatch because I am only seeing it on YouTube versions, without commercials, and moving quickly through boring parts. Skipping every time Jade discusses Ed, who is so obviously not into her, saves a ton of time. I find I skip a lot of Tully too, but I still love Drew.

Watching Mikkayla get evicted again is something I would watch 10 times, because I didn't like her, but then felt sorry for her interview being not very nice to her. Mikkayla interests me more this time though because you see her getting more shrewish over time, to the point where she lectures Australia about saving Tahan. I never understood why she doesn't see herself as stunning because she is very beautiful. But her attitude became entitled.

It's too bad Ed didn't go instead of Matt, but that's the only eviction that I feel would have made a big difference in the show long term. The intruders were sort of a waste, and seemed to just drag out the season. Maybe if Tully had left instead of Heidi, Drew would have done even better?

I am just having a good summer time treat with this show.

Edit: also, not being Australian I'm sure I miss many of the meanings of the show. It's just so different here where no one sees this as a social experiment, or a reflection of being American. I watch this show with the same attitude.

I suppose its like re watching anything else. You know what happens (or at least vaguely remember) so the suspense is gone, but you still enjoy the characters/HM's and what they did. Maybe you miss some stuff that you pick up on the re watch or re-evaluate how you feel about certain characters.

Back