Skip to main content

What music or songs are you listening to?

Such a bop! Dark and yet still sweet enough that it sticks to your teeth like good pop music should. Here’s hoping 2023 is Queen Ava’s year 🤞🏻

This song's been very popular for the last couple of months here. Thai/Khmer collab. I like it, very catchy.

"Bong" in Khmer means bro (used for someone your age or higher as an affectionate/familiar term).

Flashback to 1995. I don't like a lot of hip hop but I do like a great hook, and this has one.

This song came up on TikTok tonight… It’s been years since I’ve heard it and had forgotten how much of a classic it is.

Amanda Marshall was great!
Canadian, but 4 of her singles charted in Australia too.
'Dark Horse' is my fave, and better than the Katy Perry song of the same name.

If you pitch Ellie’s voice down it sounds exactly like The Weeknd leading to conspiracy theories that they’re the same person. I’ve always like Ellie but her sound is a little too pop for what I like out of her. She released these two covers between her Lights era and Anything Could Happen and I definitely think we missed out on something special by not embracing this darker trip hop/Indy inspired sound.

I think it’s a little insane how a little known folk singer from Canadian Idol became the unmitigated cult queen of pop music.

The opening theme from Sunday night music show Radio With Pictures in 1982 was the instrumental version of Marginal Era - This Heaven. Definitely some New Order style vibes there:

The opening theme from Sunday night music show Radio With Pictures in 1982 was the instrumental version of Marginal Era - This Heaven. Definitely some New Order style vibes there:

the grid thing must have been from that era too - it reminded me of this video

the grid thing must have been from that era too - it reminded me of this video

Oh yes. As an aside, I wrote a letter to Karyn Hay after seeing her on something with Sam Hunt, mentioning I didn't realise how short she was. And I received a lovely, hand typed letter back from her - on letterhead paper bearing the same Radio With Pictures logo as in that opening - where she mentioned it wasn't so much that she's short, but Sam Hunt was so tall lol. Wish I'd kept that, actually. Classic.

Also saw her on something once relating to her time at TVNZ's Avalon studios, sneaking off down a corridor to smoke a joint before taping the show. Maybe that's why she was always so deadpan.

Back