Skip to main content

US 2016 Presidential Election

THIS -

They have moments of sanity, Obama years had improved the PR hugely. Now backwards.

As a "person of color" I frankly think that Obama fomented racial tensions. Many of his policies were ill conceived. I, for one, am optimistic that this country will get back on track.

Respectfully disagree...
Well who was the greatest President of all time?

Herbert "No, I didn't invent the vacuum" Hoover?

Dwight "Fuck those commie bastards" Eisenhower?

John F. "Youtube before there was Youtube" Kennedy?

Richard "We aint getting off this island until Spiro admits he cheated" Nixon?

Jimmy "Pleasssssssse can we have our hostages back now, Iran" Carter?

Ronald "Yeah, sure i'll remember it in the morning" Reagan?

Bill "I hate pretzels" Clinton?

George W. "I know Waldo's in this White House somewhere" Bush?

You guys I don t mind telling you I've been very depressed since the election. I'm studying to be an ecologist and I'm just heart broken about the environmental implications.

We always have close battles anyway but now it seems very bleak.

I also volunteer with immigrant communities and I can tell you people are literally terrified of what will happen to them and their families.

Reactions: kxk
You guys I don t mind telling you I've been very depressed since the election. I'm studying to be an ecologist and I'm just heart broken about the environmental implications.

We always have close battles anyway but now it seems very bleak.

I also volunteer with immigrant communities and I can tell you people are literally terrified of what will happen to them and their families.
Ja, well Trump is an apalling Person as far as I can tell. But while he is a massive embarrassment .... will he actually have the type of power he thinks he wil have to make random changes to all the things he spouted on about...? Will he find that bureaucracy thwarts him?

Ja, well Trump is an apalling Person as far as I can tell. But while he is a massive embarrassment .... will he actually have the type of power he thinks he wil have to make random changes to all the things he spouted on about...? Will he find that bureaucracy thwarts him?

Somebody was floating the scenario that since Trump knows virtually nothing about how Washington, or politics at all, or diplomacy actually works in practice he's going to have be more reliant on his team - and thereby susceptible to being subtly managed/thwarted by them - than virtually any other president has been.

It's not just him. He and his pals will control every aspect of US government. He won't face the issues Obama had of trying to convince Congress to vote for things.

It's actually hard to talk about this. I think it will be very bad.

Reactions: kxk
As a "person of color" I frankly think that Obama fomented racial tensions. Many of his policies were ill conceived. I, for one, am optimistic that this country will get back on track.

....I know Americans, often think everything is about you.............we are speaking globally.
Obama, both Mr & Mrs, have been PR magic, Americans anybody could and should love, and we have - we will miss them.

You are wrong and you will see what happens.
Obama did nothing to foment tensions. People who hated him because of his skin color hated him because of his father and gave his white mother no credit.

Obama is a brilliant man and a fantastic leader. The opposition can barely stand to give him any credit but they expect respect for their candidate completely oblivious to their own hypocrisy and disrespect to a sitting president. Obama will be remembered for ages.

Trump will be just another Republican president on the trash heap of history like Nixon and Bush.

My concern is the damage to the environment and to people living here that he will cause before he's gone and forgotten.

Last edited:
Nope @reepbot Nixon would never run for anyone but Republicans, he could never find anyone Democrat that even wanted to speak to him let alone a VP.

The Greeks have a word for the emerging Trump Administration: kakistocracy, which Webster defines as “government by the worst people.”

kakistocracy - sounds so descriptive doesn't it.

Nope @reepbot Nixon would never run for anyone but Republicans, he could never find anyone Democrat that even wanted to speak to him let alone a VP.

The Greeks have a word for the emerging Trump Administration: kakistocracy, which Webster defines as “government by the worst people.”

kakistocracy - sounds so descriptive doesn't it.

I find Nixon very fascinating. He was a tragic figure (of his own doing).

As an example of the fear and anxiety people are feeling- i received this unprecedented message from the Governor of New York that was sent to all students in the State University system. (I'm not a student right now but I am still in the list.)

colorbar-plain.jpg

Dear Members of the Campus Community:
We are sharing the following message with students at the request of SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher and on behalf of New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo. We are copying other members of the campus community.

spacer.gif

Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 10:19 AM
To: Presidents - All
Subject: FW: Message from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
Importance: High
Dear Presidents,
Please distribute the memo below from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo to your students at 11 a.m. today.
Thank you again for your exemplary leadership as SUNY's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion continues to serve as a model for public colleges and universities as well as communities across New York State and the nation.
Sincerely,
Nancy L. Zimpher
Chancellor
d4f5842d8ab615dd089aae73_240x118.jpg

spacer.gif

Dear Students:
After the harsh and ugly rhetoric of the campaign, many of you are concerned about what might happen next.
Let me be clear: This is the State of New York, not a state of fear. We will not tolerate hate or racism.
We have been and always will be a place where people of many backgrounds have come to seek freedom and opportunity. Almost all who live here can trace their roots to someplace else.
We cherish our diversity. We find strength in our differences. Whether you are gay or straight, Muslim or Christian or Jewish or Buddhist, rich or poor, black or white or Latino or Asian, man or woman, cisgender or transgender, we respect all people in the State of New York.
The Statue of Liberty is a proud symbol of American values, and she stands in our harbor. We feel a special responsibility to make her offer of refuge and hope a reality every day.
As long as you are here, you are New Yorkers. You are members of our community, and we will stand up for you.
The State of New York has strict laws against hate crimes and discrimination and we fully and firmly enforce them. It is illegal in this state to target, harass or discriminate against a person because of his or her race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation. We are a tolerant people, and cannot and will not let our freedoms be undermined.
New York State has a toll-free hotline where people can report incidents of bias and discrimination. Our responsibility is to protect all who are here, whether native-born or immigrant, whether documented or not. The hotline strengthens our efforts. Contacting us will not affect your immigration status.
New Yorkers who have experienced bias or discrimination should call the toll-free hotline at (888) 392-3644 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
If you want to report a crime or fear for your safety, call 911 immediately.
New Yorkers feel a particular affection for young immigrants. For centuries, our state has thrived on the energy and ambition of the young people seeking to build their lives here. Your intelligence, your creativity, your idealism enriches us all. You are welcome here.
Sincerely,
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
9afc6bdf002152672d877f6e_856x200.jpg

I had heard that there had been an increase in attacks since Trump won the election. Very scary times.

I had heard that there had been an increase in attacks since Trump won the election. Very scary times.
I don't know about an increase in attacks. I can tell you that fear is very high even in places like New York that people had previously felt safe.

Jill Stein is requesting a recount in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-...o-recount-in-us-election-swing-states/8056140
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...d/news-story/fe9ef341096bcba76e786d48899ec1e2

I'm in two minds about this. I'm not sure it was a can of worms that should have been opened, but then it's also good for democracy to reassure people that their votes were counted properly, whatever the result. And at least by her doing it, it stops the risk that Clinton might (and how that would look).

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I'm not sitting here hoping that a recount will actually swing the result, I'm not sure the U.S. could handle that right now. But if it can provide certainty, and maybe a narrower Trump win but still a win, then I think that could be good for democracy to show that the votes being counted properly matters. And if there was any risk that Clinton was going to call for the recount, then I'm glad that Stein did, because that's better for stability too.

A Senate seat changing hands might be nice though. :whistling:

Back