Skip to main content

US 2016 Presidential Election

pecan

Awesome site donor
Hillary Clinton is expected to announce her candidacy some time within the next 24 hours:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-11/hillary-clinton-to-announce-presidential-bid-on-monday/6385510

http://m.cnn.com/politics/2015/04/10/hillary-clinton-to-announce-2016-bid-sunday?fullarticle=true

The current field:

Joe Biden: The vice president is probably not running, but Draft Biden campaign is egging him on. He says he will decide this summer and has noted that it depends on Hillary Clinton.

Jeb Bush: The brother of former President "Dubya," son of President H.W. and a former governor of Florida will likely run. He already has a successful super PAC and cut ties with outside companies.

Ben Carson: The retired neurosurgeon is probably running. He apologized for saying "prison proves being gay is a choice." He has a presidential exploratory committee.

Chris Christie: The local politics of the Bridgegate scandal haunt the New Jersey governor, but in true N.J. fashion, he's slated to start a "Tell it like it is" tour of New Hampshire next week. He's probably running in 2016; expect an announcement by June.

Hillary Clinton: The former secretary of state is running; sources say she hired Google's Stephanie Hannon for her digital strategy team and signed a lease for her Brooklyn office. She's expected to announce her bid on Sunday.

Ted Cruz: The first Republican definitely running, his announcement was on 3/23 @ Lynchburg University, saying, "The promise of America seems more distant for so many." Calls Jeb Bush "mushy middle" candidate. His focus: the tea party, libertarian and Christian conservative circles. Cruz super PACs are busy raising money.

Carly Fiorina: The former Hewlett Packard exec says there is a 90% chance she will run. Fiorina's super PAC is raising money, and she has hired a top RNC-er to join.

Lindsey Graham: The South Carolina senator probably won't run but isn't a stranger to the all-important first caucus state, Iowa. A potential bid could focus on Graham's foreign policy expertise.

Mike Huckabee: The politician-turned-Fox News host has resigned from his TV gig and could be a strong contender in 2016 with his strong name recognition.

John Kasich: The Ohio governor could be a contender, featuring his popular fiscal conservatism platform.

Bobby Jindal: The governor of La. will probably run. Jindal launched a political group whose name is under scrutiny for similarities with another established group.

Martin O'Malley: The former Md. governor is probably running. He has been a staple in Iowa over the past year and is once again in the state this week

Rand Paul: The Kentucky senator is def running — announced it 4/7 @ Louisville on his mainstream libertarianism platform — but can he escape his father's shadow?

Rick Perry: Former Texas governor is probably running, striking a more serious tone this time around after his rough attempt in 2012. Since leaving his gubernatorial post, he was last spotted touring early primary states and recruiting donors.

Marco Rubio: The Fla. senator will likely run; says he's making a major announcement on 4/13 @ Miami.

Bernie Sanders: The (I) Vt. senator says "we'll see" to 2016. Not clear if he would run as (D) or (I).

Rick Santorum: The former Pa. senator will probably run; sources say he's got a team of fundraisers and has talked to his inner circle about a campaign.

Elizabeth Warren: The Mass. senator says she's not running despite some liberal groups backing a Warren run. Instead, she says to give Clinton a chance to declare if she is running.

Scott Walker: The Wis. governor will probably run, and sources say he's building his team and a campaign plan with former Sen. Jim Talent already on board

Jim Webb: The former Va. senator and Vietnam vet is probably running and currently beefing up his tour d'Iowa.

From here.

Oh god not Huckabee, please. I'd prefer yet another bloody Bush to Huckabee.

Hillary will definitely run I think and honestly is probably in with a good chance, even this early on. I like O'Malley too, I was wondering if he was going to run.

Hillary will definitely run I think and honestly is probably in with a good chance, even this early on. I like O'Malley too, I was wondering if he was going to run.
Why do you follow US politics well enough to think this?

#FrankUnderwood4President
Sure if you want psychopathic serial killers for a nation's leader I'm all in. Or is that sociopath? I generally forget the difference between the 2.

*tut tut*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356721/

One of my all time favourite movies. Fictional non related Huckabees obviously. lol

Last edited:
Why do you follow US politics well enough to think this?

Honestly I don't know! I think I've just gotten caught up in the hype over the years. Sad thing is I find US politics about a million times more interesting than anything that happens here and actually, you know, potentially effects me.

Clinton has announced she's running...
This will be interesting to watch as many have been waiting for her to run for a while now. I have a friend in Portland, OR who will I am fairly sure vote for her or however they do it to get her elected.

I'll keep an eye on the happenings but it's such a long process with primaries that I don't have the patience to keep too close an eye on it. Hopefully some of our resident yanks might pop in an update us on the major happenings.

Is there any front runner for the GOP at this stage? Or it still sort of split between Cruz/Bush?

Also who will Hillary pick for VP?

@Rose711 do you vote?

I'll keep an eye on the happenings but it's such a long process with primaries that I don't have the patience to keep too close an eye on it. Hopefully some of our resident yanks might pop in an update us on the major happenings.

Is there any front runner for the GOP at this stage? Or it still sort of split between Cruz/Bush?

@Rose711 do you vote?

You can't use that word (Yank/Yanks) to describe Americans. I did once on here and boy oh boy did I regret it, having said that Rose is form NY, so I don't think she would mind.

Question Has Rand Paul ever been involved in any controversy? I feel like I've seen or heard his name mentioned here and there?

@Rose711 do you vote?
It's certainly more intruiging than our process.

You can't use that word (Yank/Yanks) to describe Americans. I did once on here and boy oh boy did I regret it, having said that Rose is form NY, so I don't think she would mind.

Oh I didn't think it was offensive but I guess maybe if they were from south of the mason-dixon? If I call them americans though I'm liable to get an angry PM from someone from one of the 30 odd other american countries. Maybe I should just follow the RAE and call them estadounidenses.

Question Has Rand Paul ever been involved in any controversy? I feel like I've seen or heard his name mentioned here and there?

Possibly. He's not really ringing any bells for me though.

Last edited:

Honestly Americans taking offense to the term yank is very low on my care factor scale. This is from the same people who to this day have no qualms in referring to indigenous Americans as 'Indians' and call you a PC so and so for pointing out the stupidity of it. And that's only one of many other examples where 'Americans' don't give a damn about what other peoples opinions are on similar instances.

If I call them americans though I'm liable to get an angry PM from someone from one of the 30 odd other american countries.

I don't think there's a problem with referring to yanks as Americans after all they do reside in said continent. The issue lies in how it has being appropriated and now used exclusively as the nationality of citizens of good ol' US of A around the world. That's what irksome about it.

Last edited:

@Rose711 do you vote?

I know it's a long shot, but this who I want to be the Presidential candidate for the GOP:

tumblr_mc5884bMM01r8ptvvo1_500.jpg

Honestly Americans taking offense to the term yank is very low on my care factor scale. This is from the same people who to this day have no qualms in referring to indigenous Americans as 'Indians' and call you a PC so and so for pointing out the stupidity of it. And that's only one of many other examples where 'Americans' don't give a damn about what other peoples opinions are on similar instances.

I don't think there's a problem with referring to yanks as Americans after all they do reside in said continent. The issue lies in how it has being appropriated and now used exclusively as the nationality of citizens of good ol' US of A around the world. That's what irksome about it.
Was pretty low on my care factor till all these yanks Americans came out of the woodwork and told me why I was wrong to use it.

I'd laugh if some young Democrat upsets the Clinton apple-cart again like in 2008 with Obama and wins the Democratic presidential nominee.

Back