Skip to main content

Interesting Documentaries

Paris Is Burning. It's on Netflix and easily accessible online. Documentary about the drag ball culture in NYC in the 1980s.

Sadly most of the people in the documentary are now dead.

Reactions: kxk
Paris Is Burning. It's on Netflix and easily accessible online. Documentary about the drag ball culture in NYC in the 1980s.

Sadly most of the people in the documentary are now dead.

ooo hope that one is still on the website.

The Road to Rio - stuff for the World Cup is really interesting.

And Venice 24/7 on SBS is really fascinating. How they can drain and block off bits to get under and repair building and cables/networks etc

I just watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.

It is about this Aussie guy named Joe who is overweight and has an autoimmune disease. So he decides to go over to American and go on a juice fast for 60 days, 30 of those days he spends in New York and the other 30 days he travels around America talking to people about his experience. During Joe's travels around America he meets Phil an overweight truck driver from Iowa.... I'll leave it there I do not want to spoil the rest of the film for you. I watched it on YouTube, just search for the name of the film. I will say that watching this film was such a positive experience for me!

just watched it, very inspiring....though theres something about Joe that seems abit fake >.< awesome nonetheless

I don't know if this interests you, but there is a brilliant documentary on Kevin Pearce, the U.S. Olympic snowboarder who almost died in a training accident a few weeks before the Olympics and his recovery.

It's called The Crash Reel.

It was on HBO here, might be on Netflix

There are 2 tonight about internet/social networking/stalking/cyberbullying and that kind of thing...

My Social Network Stalker 8.30, ABC 2;
TV and radio presenter Richard Bacon has been targeted by an obsessive tirade of anonymous online abuse. Motivated by his own experience, Richard attempts to hunt down and confront three internet bullies, including his own.

Followed by,

My Social Network Stalker, 9.30, ABC 2
The true story of Ruth, who was pushed to the brink of suicide after being cyber stalked. However, when her stalker was finally caught, the revelation of the man's identity proved as traumatic as what she had already endured.

Both UK shows.

Just watching the story of Ruth now, absolutely horrifying...what a cockhead.

On right now -

If You Are The One

'19 Reasons To Love If You Are The One'

SBS 2, 7:30pm, Sun, 3 Aug 2014, 60 minutes

A one hour special that explores the cult program If You Are The One. A fun, irreverent but affectionate review of the program, presenting a beginners guide to the show, celebrating its success, highlighting the cultural quirks of the show, and recognising the passion of the fans. Go behind the scenes of the program to discover exclusive background information. With a variety of contributors, including SBS on-air talent, comedians, relevant experts, "insiders" and fans.

And last night, go catch up this one:

Unplanned America
Fascinating -
1st bit - was all about the jugaboos, a club for misfits, never seen or heard of before
2nd bit - all about the real voguing clubs and ballroom gay stuff, again never seen by me before.

If this little show continues the same way, it is about a million times better than anything else travel/experience related on TV right now.
2 very likeable guys, who thankfully don't insist on squeezing themselves into the story ALL the time like some others.

Nova on PBS has run a 3 part series on Australia: the first 4 billion years. I found it fascinating. It seems like it was originally aired in April 2013. You guys might enjoy watching it.

If you like Michael Mosley BBC docos, SBS is repeating 5-6 of them.

Right now - is the personality one, can you change it etc?

The one he does on 5:2 fasting is really interesting if you have weight issues

If you like history shows, SBS has been running all kinds of fabulous history docos on fridays.
Currently a series on the British history from day dot is fantastic.

Right now it is just the 2nd episode if you want to catch up, just up to 1066, Robin Hoodish stuff, the Crusades and the first plague.
I love this stuff.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen Overfed and Undernourished?
I believe it's about an 80 kg young boy and it focuses on the 'global epidemic of obesity' I've seen it promoted a fair bit on Facebook.
Anyway before I potentially waste $6.99 on downloading it I thought I'd check to see if anyone had seen it.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen Overfed and Undernourished?
I believe it's about an 80 kg young boy and it focuses on the 'global epidemic of obesity' I've seen it promoted a fair bit on Facebook.
Anyway before I potentially waste $6.99 on downloading it I thought I'd check to see if anyone had seen it.
I just watched the trailer on YouTube it looks really good, if you don't want to pay the $7 I'm sure you can find a way to get it for free ( not that you should do that because piracy is bad).

I just watched the trailer on YouTube it looks really good, if you don't want to pay the $7 I'm sure you can find a way to get it for free ( not that you should do that because piracy is bad).
I was worried it would be just like all the others eg; super size me, weight of the nation etc;
But the trailer makes me think it's more about being healthy rather than skinny, which I like.
Any way, that's what I'll be doing tonight!

Tonight
Living With The Enemy

'Same Sex Marriage'

SBS HD, 8:30pm, Wed, 3 Sep 2014, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

This series is set to confront prejudices and the fault lines in contemporary Australian society. Each episode explores a different subject currently dividing Australian opinion by asking people to live 24/7 with others whose lifestyles and beliefs directly contradict their own. Gregory and Michael are passionate gay activists and atheists who are engaged to be married. David is a conservative Anglican minister and father of three who believes gay people should not be married.

And another series repeats continue tonight also, 9.35pm ABC HEAD FIRST

Watch last weeks episode before it disappears - explains an awful lot about famewhores & RTV 'star'.
Quite informative - American guy describes how a guy dated Sooki from Jersey Shore, once, and has milked that into a career! Good grief.

How RTV peeps just keep themselves in gossip/celeb media, Daily Mail for eg, and then they milk that profile into promoting/flogging stuff and themselves.
IE Tully/Tim/Jade - seems they have all been to RTV school
And the famewhore tricks and paths, ie sex tapes and dating someone famous

Back