Skip to main content

Interesting Documentaries

Um scrap watching any docos tonight. Eurovision is on at 7.30 and gotta watch our girl Dami Im perform. Nearly forgot it was on.:facepalm:

Can't wait.

I saw a documentary on the Harold Holt disappearance. I thought that was quite good. Not the fact that a prime minister died obviously, but more about the documentary.

739387.jpg

This has been repeated recently, and you can watch it on catch-up.
The first episode about the religious riots, then about riots against Chinese, and the massacre at Buckland Flats, features my great grandfather.
I only saw a picture of my grandad 10 years ago, due to racism and some other stuff our ancestry was hidden for most of my life.
After watching this and learning about white Australia policies against chinese, I understand more why Dad was reluctant to be open - but boy did we miss out culturally.
I have since met over 200 of our kin at reunions
They interview some of my cousins in the doco.

After all the hiding of our ancestors, you have no idea how fantastic this doco feels to us as a family

This was about western tourists who pay big money to fulfill their dream of climbing Everest and the Sherpa's who do all the grunt work for them at risk to their own lives. It also looked at the different attitudes towards the mountain and life in general between the two groups. It was very good.

Reactions: kxk
Haven't they banned tourist from climbing Everest now? Good job if they have. That mountain is no place for amateurs.

I didn't watch all of it, but SBS last night screened an interesting documentary 'Clinton v Trump: The Choice 2016'. A look at what's shaped them and led them to where they are now. As with our elections, the decision of who not to vote for is always going to be the easiest one. I'm looking forward to watching the events unfold on Wednesday.

I watched that, missed the first bit, but illuminating doco @Khun Khun

But please if anyone missed Mike Moore in Trumpland, SBS last night, go watch it.
Quite profound, he actually got you to see who Hillary is really, and how odiously she has been treated in public life.

I recently watched a beautiful documentary called Tender. It's about a community center in Port Kembla who start a not-for-profit funeral service for the local community as an alternative to the more commercialized and profit driven funeral providers. Their aim was to provide a more personal experience for the family and friends of the deceased, more in line with how it was done in the past when they were more involved in the process. Despite the subject matter it wasn't morbid or depressing. There was a lot of laughter and it was just very human, honest and moving. I highly recommend it.

The Triangle Wars. This was about a development plan proposed for the St Kilda triangle a few years ago, the battle between the community opposed to it, the local council and the developer, and all the dodgy shenanigans that went on behind the scenes. As a former resident I found it interesting, although it focused a bit too much on some of the personalities and egos involved.

Lot of crap on Tv right now, this looks promising tonight

Mademoiselle C

ABC, 10:35pm, Sun, 1 Jan 2017, 90 minutes

REPEAT

The story of former Vogue Paris editor-in-chief and fashion stylist Carine Roitfeld. Roitfeld left Vogue Paris with the greatest challenge to date - create a new fashion magazine: CR

2013, France, English, Documentary, Arts & Culture

Watching now, doco about Queen Vicky and her millions of kids.
OMG she was an old bitch, shallow and mean and nasty, selfish beyond all belief.
So nasty to her kids
Very interesting doco SBS, some of the kids rebel and do good in the world no thanks to old cow Vicky.

Finding Vivian Maier

This is a fascinating doco about fine art photographer Vivian Maier, an eccentric, reclusive nanny who had a secret passion and amazing talent for photography that was only discovered after she died. Throughout her life she took thousands of photos and portraits on the streets that she hoarded away. Then someone bought a box of her negatives at an auction, not knowing what they were and she was finally 'discovered'. Her photos are now shown in galleries all over the world. This was such an interesting story, although very sad in some ways.

http://www.vivianmaier.com/

Watched a doco on ocean photographer....WOW

Documentary chronicles photographer Russell Ord's extreme quest for epic shot

8364712-3x2-700x467.jpg

6576032-3x2-700x467.jpg

OceanTextures-18.jpg

Cyclops+Photo+Ord+648.jpg

ChrisRoss_TheRightWA_PhotoOrd-234.jpg

MarkMathews_TheRightWA_PhotoOrd-71-2.jpg

Mathews-Taj_TheRight_PhotoOrd034.jpg

So sublime, I can't get enough of his amazing pics, he freakin leaps into the tops of mountains.....
More here if you like this as much as me...http://www.russellordphoto.com/
Doco is ABC

Those photos are stunning!

The Sunnyboy.

This is about Jeremy Oxley, the lead singer of The 80's band The Sunnyboys, his schizophrenia and how it impacted the band, his relationship with his brother, his family and his partner. It was interesting, especially the impact the illness has on the family and the energy and dedication it takes to care for someone with a serious mental illness.

Those photos are stunning!

The Sunnyboy.

This is about Jeremy Oxley, the lead singer of The 80's band The Sunnyboys, his schizophrenia and how it impacted the band, his relationship with his brother, his family and his partner. It was interesting, especially the impact the illness has on the family and the energy and dedication it takes to care for someone with a serious mental illness.

Great doco. Powerful viewing.
And kxk. Great photos. Will have to check that out.

I saw Whitney - Can I Be Me. What a tragedy for her and her daughter. The scenes with her daughter are heartbreaking knowing what's in store for them both. I thought her story was similar to Amy Winehouse. She was an addict surrounded be people who turned a blind eye because they had a vested interest. The opening scenes are spine tingling. Such an incredible talent and personality. A huge loss.

On now.....creepy SCIENTOLOGY

Scientology: Going Clear

SBS HD, 8:30pm, Sun, 20 Aug 2017, 135 minutes

Academy Award-winner Alex Gibney turns his gaze to Scientology in this provocative documentary based on the book by Pulitzer Prize winner Lawrence Wright - a tale of ego, exploitation and lust for power. Gibney profiles eight former members of the Church of Scientology, whose most prominent adherents include A-list Hollywood celebrities, shining a light on how the church cultivates true believers, including their experiences and what they are willing to do in the name of religion. Fearless and fascinating, this latest cinematic opus is a powerful exploration of the psychological impact of blind faith: what Lawrence Wright calls the prison of belief.

United States, English, Documentary, Religion

OMG they are even worse than I ever thought.....evil nutjobs love cults, losers that can't 'fit' in with normal humans
Bunch of gross bullies, evil.....poor Nicole, bet she thanks heaven every day she escaped the evil creeps
What is weird, the subservient types that take the crap....is it like s&m? Kind of??

Back