Skip to main content

Your favourite recipe

Kaz

Awesome site donor
Baked Salmon in Lime-Coconut Milk Sauce

Serves: 3-4

Ingredients
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 salmon fillet, weighing about 600-700 grams (I just buy individual fillets from the fish market or supermarket)
  • 3 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 kaffir lime leaves (I buy a jar from the supermarket)
  • 2 limes
  • 3-4 chilies (more or less depending on your heat tolerance)

Instructions
  1. Pour ½ cup of coconut milk into the middle of a baking dish (see notes). Place the salmon fillet, skin side down, right on top of the coconut milk pool.
  2. Rub 2 tablespoons of the fish sauce on top of the fish; let it marinate briefly in the refrigerator while you prepare other ingredients.
  3. Mix the remaining fish sauce and the remaining coconut milk together; set aside.
  4. Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 190 c.
  5. Cut one lime crosswise into very thin slices. Juice the other lime; set the juice aside for later.
  6. Cut the kaffir lime leaves into very thin strips; set aside.
  7. Cut the chilies thinly crosswise; set aside.
  8. When the oven is ready, take the fish out of the refrigerator and pour the coconut milk-fish sauce mixture all over it.
  9. Arrange the lime slices on top of the fish and sprinkle the kaffir lime leaves and chilies all over it.
  10. Bake the fish, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or just until it's cooked through.
  11. Remove the fish from the oven. Drizzle a tablespoon of the reserved lime juice over the fish. Adjust the amount of lime juice to taste. Taste the sauce to see if more fish sauce is needed. If so, add more.
  12. Let the fish cool down slightly before serving.
  13. Serve the fish with rice.

Notes
Use a baking dish that is just big enough for the fish to sit comfortably in it with some room on the sides. A pan that is too large and wide will cause the coconut sauce to spread out too much. This means much of it will evaporate in the oven and may even burn around the edges. You want the fish to be enveloped in (or to be embraced by) the sauce and absorb as much of it as possible. You don't want the fish to lie there on a thin layer of liquid that spreads all over the place.

Great idea @Kaz!

This is one of my faves (Jamie Oliver):

Quick crispy chicken with tomatoes & asparagus

Ingredients

• 2 x 120 g free-range, skinless chicken breasts
    • sea salt
    • freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 bunch of asparagus
    • olive oil
    • 4 rashers of higher-welfare pancetta
    • 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
    • 5 black olives, destoned
    • a couple of sprigs of fresh basil, leaves picked
    • a small knob of butter
    • a splash of white wine
really quick and simple meal that's perfect for a midweek supper. I've used olives to add a bit of saltiness and extra flavour, but feel free to throw in whatever you've got in the cupboard that'll do the same job – anchovies or sun-dried tomatoes would work well.

Place a large pan on a high heat. Lay your chicken breasts on a board and cut three incisions into each one like fingers, going all the way through the breast but leaving about 1cm joined at the top. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Snap the woody ends off of the asparagus spears. Add a splash of olive oil to the pan, followed by the chicken, pancetta and asparagus. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the chicken and asparagus are cooked through, turning halfway. Lift the pancetta on top of the chicken once golden and crispy.

Move the chicken, bacon or pancetta and asparagus to one side of the pan then throw in the tomatoes, olives, basil leaves and butter. Reduce to a low heat and add a splash of wine to help make a sauce. Leave to bubble away and thicken for a couple of minutes.

Use tongs to divide the chicken, bacon or pancetta, asparagus and most of the tomatoes between your plates. Squash the remaining tomatoes, mixing them with the lovely juices in the pan, then drizzle over the chicken before serving.

FYI - I don't know why this is in bold.

Game on @Kismet, @Sweetgeek, @kxk

Yes! Love this thread, i'm such a foodie.

I'm a huge Donna Hay fan. I made this banana cake the other week and it's amazing.

Banana cake
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
  • ¼ cup (45g) brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¾ cup (180g) sour cream
  • 1 cup roughly mashed banana
Caramel sauce
  • ¾ cup (135g) brown sugar
  • cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture. Add the cinnamon, sour cream and banana and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture into a greased 26cm fluted ring tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on a wire rack. While the cake is cooling, make the caramel sauce, place the sugar and cream in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heatand simmer rapidly for 8 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Allow to cool and spread over the cake. Serves 8–10.

banana_cake2.jpg

I'm a huge Donna Hay fan. I made this banana cake the other week and it's amazing.

Banana cake
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 3 eggs
Caramel sauce
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture. Add the cinnamon, sour cream and banana and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture into a greased 26cm fluted ring tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on a wire rack. While the cake is cooling, make the caramel sauce, place the sugar and cream in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heatand simmer rapidly for 8 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Allow to cool and spread over the cake. Serves 8–10.

View attachment 46758

I loooove Donna Hay as well! You have good taste ;)

@Kaz remind me to come back in here after Wednesday. I already posted one awhile back in the dinner thread that I probably shouldn't have but whatever. As far as I'm concerned family recipes are meant to be shared with love. I'll add a few more in here when I get the chance to type them out. Great idea for a thread!! :)

This is a great thread!

I really like basic food most times, so this is really a favourite of mine

Saucy Morrocan Chicken Salad

Ingredients
a pack of chicken tenderloins
quarter cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
finely chopped red pepper (seeds optional)
Chicken stock

For the salad:
Bunch of broccolini or asparagus
thinly sliced carrots

lettuce
tomato

For the dressing:
1/2 a cup of yoghurt
finely diced cucumber
1 garlic (optional)
salt
mint leaves finely sliced

Method:

Place chicken tenderloins in a sealed bag with all the ingredients (minus the chicken stock) and leave for an hour or two.

In a pan cook the chicken, with all the juices in the bag in there. Once chicken is lightly cooked add a bit of chicken stock to keep it saucy, once simmered, place aside.

In another pan, sauté the vegetables

For the dressing, add all ingredients and mix.

Put the salad on the plate, the vegatables on top and then the chicken, put dollop of dressing on top of chicken

Banana cake
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 3 eggs
Caramel sauce

View attachment 46758

I have some super brown bananas, I was meant to make banana bread yesterday but had a case of the lazies, I will definitely use this recipe instead. Maybe tomorrow.

This is a great thread!

I really like basic food most times, so this is really a favourite of mine

Saucy Morrocan Chicken Salad

Ingredients
a pack of chicken tenderloins
quarter cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
finely chopped red pepper (seeds optional)
Chicken stock

For the salad:
Bunch of broccolini or asparagus
thinly sliced carrots

lettuce
tomato

For the dressing:
1/2 a cup of yoghurt
finely diced cucumber
1 garlic (optional)
salt
mint leaves finely sliced

Method:

Place chicken tenderloins in a sealed bag with all the ingredients (minus the chicken stock) and leave for an hour or two.

In a pan cook the chicken, with all the juices in the bag in there. Once chicken is lightly cooked add a bit of chicken stock to keep it saucy, once simmered, place aside.

In another pan, sauté the vegetables

For the dressing, add all ingredients and mix.

Put the salad on the plate, the vegatables on top and then the chicken, put dollop of dressing on top of chicken

YASSSSS! I knew it would amazing! I should have tagged @Inigo Montoya as well!

I need a good dessert recipe for Thanksgiving. Did all my other shopping after work tonight but could NOT decide on something for dessert. I HATE pumpkin pie so someone else is bringing that for those that want it.

I need a good dessert recipe for Thanksgiving. Did all my other shopping after work tonight but could NOT decide on something for dessert. I HATE pumpkin pie so someone else is bringing that for those that want it.

I do lots of cheesecakes for dessert. There is amazing Lemon Meringue one I have made a few times. What are you favourite flavours?

Cous Cous

I've always called this recipe cous cous because it was the first time I tried that stuff.

Ghee (or olive oil)
Garlic
Onions
Lamb and or chicken
Tomatoes
Tomato paste (if necessary)
(Vegetables)
The Spice Mixture - Chilli, Cardomon, Corriander seeds, Cumin, Cinnamon stick
Stock

Fry garlic and onions in the ghee.
Brown the meat.
Get these into a big heavy saucepan, with the tomatoes, paste, and vegetables you think you need to add, stock, and The Spice Mixture.
You could've rubbed the meat, especially if it's lamb, in The Spice Mixture before if you wanted, or even marinaded it in TSM and olive oil.
Let it stew. Monitor consistency and spice. Add paste, stock, chilli etc as required if required.

Serve with buttery cous cous and Harissa.

Oh, easy Harissa:

3 cloves of garlic, tomato paste, beef stock, chilli, cumin

Smoosh garlic. Heat it. Stir in paste. Sqoosh the garlic into paste. Add cumin and a shit tonne of chilli. Pour in a little stock. Evapourate the stock off until you have a sauce consistency.
Spoon it over stuff.

Back