Skip to main content

WTF Facebook!? Your crazy moderation/ban stories

timmy

BEEUUUUWWW!!
Awesome site donor
Thought I'd start a thread where you can post weird outcomes of FB's autobot/AI moderation. Been given a FB holiday for something perfectly harmless? Reported something awful that was deemed to be perfectly fine?

I once reported a video of a woman brutally stomping a kitten to death. FB's response was not to remove the video, but to put one of those "graphic content" masks over it that you need to click to watch. So I guess the people who posted and shared it faced no consequences for doing that.

Bear in mind that FB has a policy of not allowing people to sell animals on Marketplace, but this was somehow ok.

Just reposting this one from the WTF thread:

The FB autobots are very sensitive. I joked to someone "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you". It's a common phrase and NOT A DEATH THREAT. But the bots removed it within seconds and sent me a warning notice (no ban). I copped a three day ban for posting pics of men in underwear in a 'men in underwear' group once though. How very American to get three days off for men in underwear but just a warning for something that might have been a death threat.

I am not really known for my quick responses when threads are busy so I cannot see how this could have happened but years ago i got a warning and threat to be banned on a facebook game forum for typing too many messages too quickly! lol

I am not really known for my quick responses when threads are busy so I cannot see how this could have happened but years ago i got a warning and threat to be banned on a facebook game forum for typing too many messages too quickly! lol
That could have been an anti-spam measure. Sounds like it was set to a very low threshold!

I currently face an effective one month ban from a group because I posted a photo of a product I was wanting to source (nothing naughty) but unbeknownst to me the group supposedly has a rule* in place you can't post images. Then when I tried reposting without the image it then rejected my new post because I'd had a post rejected in the past 30 days. :rolleyes:

*Oh, and there's nothing in their rules to indicate you can't post photos.

Last edited:
A forum I used to post on censored the word kiwi when I posted it.
I was using it to describe the bird, but even if it was referring to someone from New Zealand, I doubt many would find it offensive.

I was using it to describe the bird, but even if it was referring to someone from New Zealand, I doubt many would find it offensive.
I think I have only ever heard of one person who has found the word kiwi offensive and that was some litigious person I heard about in the news a few years back. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46421881

IG gave me shit yesterday for quoting a lyric from a Ludacris song on a meme that referenced the song.

The problem I have with moderation of these sites is that technology can’t interpret context and in many cases having something reviewed by a human is impossible.

Last edited:
technology can’t interpret context and in many cases having something reviewed by a human is impossible.
100% this. Imagine what the number of flagged posts is across FB/Instagram every day. FB could hire a million staff and still not get on top of it. And the ones they do have get PTSD from some of the content they have to see.

Bizarre you can't even quote a lyric.

100% this. Imagine what the number of flagged posts is across FB/Instagram every day. FB could hire a million staff and still not get on top of it. And the ones they do have get PTSD from some of the content they have to see.

Bizarre you can't even quote a lyric.
I’m sure the amount of stuff they have to deal with on a daily basis is insane but so is the number of times they get it wrong.

Also they really have no incentive to improve either since “Meta” pretty much has a monopoly over social media platforms.

In terms of human moderators part of the problem is that they aren’t well paid and there’s a lack of support services available to them.

The problem IG had with the lyric was it contained the word bitch. I then tried to edit it to B!tch, they flagged it again, and they’ve threatened to remove my account. Yet a couple I’ve reported of accounts that have tried to follow me (one “selling” steroids and the other “selling” crystal meth) that are clearly in violation of community guidelines are still standing.

I would bet it's to do with a certain website with the term "kiwi" in its name over the term being derogatory.

So apparently IG thinks I’m too thirsty… I’ve been receiving this warning on accounts I’ve previously reacted to with the 🔥 reaction or other emojis like 🤪, 😘😘, or 🤤 etc. My messages never go beyond innocent flirting or giving someone the validation they’re looking for when they post a thirst trap and are never inappropriate… 🙄 For the fourth time today I’ve received this message and only in conversations with other guys.

A9C5129D-3369-4FDA-BD97-058D5B437D0E.jpeg

A friend of mine, who is Burmese, copped a one week ban for posting something critical of the coup in her country (a military truck had driven into a group of protesters, killing five of them). She was banned for a week, and even now still has restrictions preventing her from posting in groups, going live etc.

Got a slap on the wrist today for telling someone they were ugly AF for commenting that moko kauae were ugly AF. I reported her comment as racist and FB told me they don’t give a shit. 🤦🏼

This meme got me in trouble for advocating violence. Sent it for review and IG says they don’t get the joke and said 🖕🏻.

F6A2EA0D-D438-49EC-B5C9-9FD7C32C9602.jpeg

Looking now, I think they must have changed the standards. But I once had Facebook constantly removing a video I shot of Lions eating a buffalo in Africa. I guess at the time mother nature was too much.

Back