whinge
sook
chockie
sanger

Feel free to add your own

Zoooper doopers!
*or zooper doopers. My O's got a little excited*

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned about the Min Min light. And the Nullarbor Nymph.

So strange to think they're the first time you've heard those words. Things like sook and whinge I pretty much thought as a part of the English language, and not exclusive to Australia.

Pash, bogan, footy are also quite common in Australia but I can see how they may not be known elsewhere.

You left out POM! We had a full on discussion about it one day in LF :)

Oh, and lollies.. sort of... I didn't realize that it reffered to pretty much any candy there, I thought they were just short for lolipop

using the word 'grub' to describe someone... :eek:

Yes it also funny cause we use Grub for food as well for example grubs ready and we know it means dinner , it sounds pretty normal to us until some one asks what we are talking about ;)

So strange to think they're the first time you've heard those words. Things like sook and whinge I pretty much thought as a part of the English language, and not exclusive to Australia.

Pash, bogan, footy are also quite common in Australia but I can see how they may not be known elsewhere.

I've heard sook a few times before, but whinge was definitely new. We use whine. Australian English seems more similar to UK English.

Yes it also funny cause we use Grub for food as well for example grubs ready and we know it means dinner , it sounds pretty normal to us until some one asks what we are talking about ;)

I use grubby if something/someone is messy, but not just grub. Is that the same thing?

Another one is the term for 'popsicle' is an icy pole.

Last edited:
What a great thread. It's fascinating to learn which words we commonly speak, are NOT universally known.

Keep it up!

D&M - deep and meaningful
Thong- not meaning underwear
Trainers- meaning sneakers
Ice block-means Popsicle

Most interesting or entertaining things:

Kookaburra in the flesh
Compulsory voting
School year starts in January
Bert Newton- who would have known about him otherwise?
Boys fantasies about girls in school uniforms
Slut strands
How smart Australian cattle dogs can be

Most important thing:
Australians are awesome!! Though I strongly suspected that before.

Have no idea what any of the aussie slang mean in the OP, but I did pick up on the
Most interesting or entertaining things:

Kookaburra in the flesh
Compulsory voting
School year starts in January
Bert Newton- who would have known about him otherwise? True ;-/
Boys fantasies about girls in school uniforms
Slut strands Apparently I need to change my look because this whole time I thought I had these romantic, little tendrils, but it seems they are slut strands?? Have I been giving out the wrong signals this whole time!!!
How smart Australian cattle dogs can be

Most important thing:
Australians are awesome!! Though I strongly suspected that before.

Back