Skip to main content

Why Ray is Tom Cruise

S

supermonster

For the last couple of weeks Ray has really racked up the nomination points. But he seems like such a nice guy. What gives?

He exudes a lot of energy, which is great for TV; however, in real life, in a pressure cooker fish bowl, possibly not so much.

It seems Ben came up with the nickname that struck a chord with many in the house, Tom Cruise. After last night's DS (#27), I've come to notice at least three Thomas Mapother III qualities about his new handle that make it a much more suitable house name than Raydar, Rayzor or Ray Ray.

He exhibits that action packed, mission impossible, maverick energy that doubtless makes the lounge room couch quiver with anxiety.

Zoe, Stacey and Ben talked about how upbeat and friendly he comes across to them in group settings compared to one on one time. He has that million watt smiling mask in public to disguise who knows what machinations for control and dominance.

Michael, Josh, Ben and Stacey talked in the bedroom about his short man syndrome. Michael elaborated that it's not that he's actually that short, just that he's really sensitive on the subject. This should prove an advantage for Ray. There's nothing better for generating sympathy and excusing all behaviour than having a syndrome.

You may enjoy watching Cruise perform on screen, but from a Katie Holmes perspective...

Any more of Ray's Cruise features come to mind for this minority report?

Michael, Josh, Ben and Stacey talked in the bedroom about his short man syndrome. Michael elaborated that it's not that he's actually that short, just that he's really sensitive on the subject. This should prove an advantage for Ray. There's nothing better for generating sympathy and excusing all behaviour than having a syndrome.
Really this thread is all nonsense.

He has been nominated for "being too competitive" or "playing the game" both reasons I find to be inadequate. Voting for somebody for reasons like that?? Give me a break and to top it off Zoe was bitching about him last night for "not hugging her" ??? *sigh* Well at least Australia can value his qualities and personally I find that Ray brings an entertainment factor which "most" of the other house mates are just too boring to be able to match up to. Gimme a Chocky Milk!! lol GO RAY!!

He has been nominated for "being too competitive" or "playing the game" both reasons I find to be inadequate. Voting for somebody for reasons like that?? Give me a break and to top it off Zoe was bitching about him last night for "not hugging her" ??? *sigh*

Ray is a threat, he is not part of a "group", they want him gone.

Ray is not too competitive, they are uncompetitive! Michael the "copywriter" (more like office coffee maker), Josh the singer (ie dole bludger) etc.

Ray is a threat, he is not part of a "group", they want him gone.

Ray is not too competitive, they are uncompetitive! Michael the "copywriter" (more like office coffee maker), Josh the singer (ie dole bludger) etc.

You know I think Australia respect him for that?..Takes a lot of balls to choose not to be a follower..Ray has too many leadership qualities to be a sheep anyway I always knew that about him. By the quick fact...Ray in spanish means "King".

Generally if a guy is referred to or called Tom Cruise, it generally means that everybody knows he is gay but he will not admit his true sexuality.

I think a lot of the HMs are hoping he'll be evicted. They're talking about him a lot but not really pin-pointing anything that they can highlight, they just mention a 'feeling' that there is something going on with him that they don't like. The fact that they are doing it quite a lot (or seem to be) is a way of letting the others know about their nomination plans, I think.

Ray has dropped significantly in my estimation after he thought being compared to Tom Cruise was actually a very good thing.....I can not stand TC...gives me the heeby jeebys....

Because he's the target of Ben.
Tom Cruise is a bitchy nick name made because of Ray's overall hyper personality.

Really this thread is all nonsense.

But you can't quite think why?

He has been nominated for "being too competitive" or "playing the game" both reasons I find to be inadequate. Voting for somebody for reasons like that??

It's the reasons they go on to elaborate. Zoe mentions that his game playing makes it seem like rather than relating to HMs he's targeting them for strategy. She's feels he's not being himself and keeping others at arms length. It's the Tom Cruise mask. Josh mentions that the over competitive aspect to him is too much too often. He's all Top Gun victory salutes.

Well at least Australia can value his qualities and personally I find that Ray brings an entertainment factor which "most" of the other house mates are just too boring to be able to match up to.

A valid point in his favour. I don't want him evicted too soon.

Gimme a Chocky Milk!!

But I can see him changing my mind. Making a trophy of chocolate milk is such a cheesy signifier to mark out his presence in the house. So Tom Cruise. Kind of off-putting.

By the quick fact...Ray in spanish means "King".

If it's spelled Rey.

nothing wrong being tom cruise. i dont like him, nor his movies, but hey if he turns up at my door, would i shut it at his face? e

you never know if he is truly happy to be called tom cruise, he said its cool, what else can he say? at least he cops it with a laugh, hasnt turned around and bitched about it.

go ray! i dont care he is not tall, too muscular, too upbeat, possible gay, magawatt smile, and all that, i think he is one of the deserve winner.

and he certainly sees through HMs excuses, talking about him being too competitive. he said if he were in top 5 and people nominate him for being competitive, thats fine....... but now (with so many HMs in the house).......... HMs simply don't want him. and he said that without bitchness, i like him more.

nothing wrong being tom cruise. i dont like him, nor his movies, but hey if he turns up at my door, would i shut it at his face?

Seeing as he's not only a total advocate for $cientology but BFF with its leader, David Miscavige, suggesting a personality frighteningly off-base and disconnected to reality, if he turned up at my door I suspect I'd find myself staring in sick fascination, waiting for the whatever weirdness was forthcoming.

As with many fans of Cruise, fans of Ray are seeing all cheek bones, muscle and dashing, derring-do. Ray is likened to TC and all he sees is a compliment.

you never know if he is truly happy to be called tom cruise, he said its cool, what else can he say? at least he cops it with a laugh, hasnt turned around and bitched about it.

But he did get shirty about being called shorty, though. With the Tom Cruise tag he's probably only seeing the surface of what they're getting at. Like Tom Cruise in Top Gun, possibly the most unintentionally gay film ever made, he's not seeing the subtext.

You know I think Australia respect him for that?..Takes a lot of balls to choose not to be a follower..Ray has too many leadership qualities to be a sheep anyway I always knew that about him. By the quick fact...Ray in spanish means "King".

Pronounced somewhat similar but it's actually spelt Rey (the diphthong is briefer and the R is trilled).

It just occurred to me there's yet another layer to Ray's Tom Cruise image.

His ideal girlfriend is young and submissive. Ray is so in love with a "Katie Holmes". I wonder if after leaving the house he'll hold auditions the way Cruise does?

Add that to the three Cruise features identified in my original post and,
He's a crazy gay?
the closet vibe some are getting and you might as well sign him up for the next blockbuster and a girlfriend 11 years junior* to the last one.

I also need to add a correction. I mistakenly attributed the conferral of Ray's nickname to Ben. It's been pointed out to me that this most astonishingly accurate appellation was the genius of Stacey.

*the last two Mrs Cruises were each born 11 years after the previous one

Of all the housemates, Ray is the person who I would have the least interest in spending any time with. I can't stand people who view the whole of life as a competition and think that they need to own the world to be happy. He may have replaced his kleptomania with an unhealthy addiction to work and a strange obsession with chocolate milk, but the underlying dangerous psychological disposition is still with him. He's the sort of person who will never be happy with what he's got, so here's hoping that he has some strong moral convictions preventing him from using any means necessary to "get ahead" in life, because without these sorts of ethical barriers people like him can start to act a lot like psychopaths. I guess it's a good thing the guy's a vet and not a businessman, politician or policeman - now that would be scary.

Back