Skip to main content

Why do YOU watch Big Brother?

J

jacob.tg

This is a question I haven't seen pop up in the Behind Big Brother forums that often, why is it that you watch Big Brother? I know the reasoning is vastly different for everyone.

I'll start off by saying, I watch it to understand the minds that these 'social groups' have, like the populars, outcasts, misfits etc. What I really love is how Big Brother gives us an insight into the minds of each character on the show. Whenever some trashy kissing, hooking up scene comes on, I just watch it in disgust of what Australians are like, but I appreciate those on the show that tell you how it's a trashy thing to do.

So far I have my favourites set on Lisa because she's strong minded, Dion because he seems to be the odd one out, Jason, for the same reason, Skye purely for entertainment and last but not least, Gemma for her bluntness.

There I've said my few words, Why do YOU watch Big Brother?

For similar reasons to you - psychological insight and group dynamics. Occasionally, mostly with international varieties, watching the machiavellian schemes come together is fun. And sometimes I get a crush on someone. And it can be quite funny when they are just left to talk.

For similar reasons to you - psychological insight and group dynamics. Occasionally, mostly with international varieties, watching the machiavellian schemes come together is fun. And sometimes I get a crush on someone. And it can be quite funny when they are just left to talk.
^same reasons as you. Although you just made me realise I don't have a crush on anyone this year yet... except maybe Priya's accent.

It's an outlet for my gossiping side tbh.

If there were no forums or people to talk to about BB, I would most likely stop watching. I just don't see the fun in watching it by yourself and then having no one to discuss it with.

Also, I would love to go on BB. Like I said, I love the whole bitching side, the fun tasks, the manipulation, the strategising, and most of the time when watching, I imagine what I would do in the situation. Particularly the strategy.

Although, I tear my hair out whenever I see them playing it all wrong.

The way people behave fascinates me, I love watching when people can get manipulated into doing things that they may not normally do. I also love to gossip hence why I like this site. I have a job that can be highly stressful and I am studying at uni as well. Big brothers my guilty secret none of my friends, family or colleagues know that I'm so into it.

I watched when I was younger because it was popular and you'd go to school and everyone was chatting about it. I started watching last year (at 22) as an escape from reality to be totally honest. I flicked it on during a terrible time and it made me laugh when nothing else did so I got so submersed into it! I then found the forum and it made it even better because most people here crack me up as well. I watch it now coz it's still like a little world I go to and I like being around everyone here who is equally as interested in it as I am! So i guess this season I'm watching it thanks to you funny bitches :p

Initially what drew me to BB was the social experiment aspect, watching how people interacted with different types they had never met, , who got loud, who went into their shell, who teamed up, who clashed and of course whose doing who! From these types I've always been able to pick out friends or family with the same characteristics which has made it easier again to enjoy.
And although I never vote watching who Australia pick to win and leave each week I find fascinating also.
And being a hot blooded Australian male....being able to cop an eyeful of beautiful bikini clad girls in the pool,spa,sauna......shower!!! Massive draw card !
:wink:

I watch this series because there is nothing on TV.

It's shit, but it's the better shit that is being shown on other channels.

Also, I love reading other peoples views on certain things.

The forum is better than the show itself.

Last edited:
I love this question. My reason is similar to others, although it's also one of the very things that Big Brother today isn't totally about anymore.

I am completely fascinated in the social aspect of the show and by observing people. One of my absolute favourite things about Big Brother is this "social experiment" angle and having the ability to watch these people in this isolated environment - seeing how humans with different personalities live together and how they interact and react.

It's also interesting to see just how similar (and dissimilar) we really are to one another and how we can all relate, sometimes without even realising it.

So, the human interaction is mainly what I watch Big Brother for, which is also why it shits me how heavily edited today's version of BB is because we honestly don't get to see as much of that stuff anymore. For example, on Launch night we saw virtually nothing of the HM's first meeting and greeting each other - this, to me, is one of the most vital few hours of the entire Big Brother experience. Seeing people converse and meet each other for the very first time and seeing how they interact with one another, form first impressions and the way they use their body language is a very fascinating thing to witness.

The psychological aspect of the show that has been lost through the years was another positive side that I was constantly drawn to - hearing an expert's opinion on why certain HM's say and do things, etc.

It's a shame that the entertainment value of Big Brother has outweighed the psychological side nowadays, to be honest.

I was brought up in a very traditional household in the 90s, where the only tv we were allowed to watch was this show called the world around us :inpain: As I grew up I started watching forbidden shows like the Simpsons:wideyed: and eventually big brother. The first season I properly watched was 04 when I was 13. It was something voyeuristic as well as grew to a fascination in watching how people portrayed themselves as and interacted with one another over trivial things. No one I know in RL watches BB, but when I stumbled across Tim's podcasts I was like *omgsqueals* :O this is so great, and found the forum just before the relaunch in 2012. I only started posting properly last year I think on the forum and honestly, would find the show hard to watch now without reading other peoples thoughts at the same time....the show is just boring now without it, because of all the stupid contrived drama producers have decided to stick in...

I watch it for the drama. I love it when people have fights etc. Also used to love the adults only stuff. I like seeing romances form.

I really don't even know why I watch it anymore. Tonights episode gave me a migraine.
I watched it as a kid because I wasn't supposed to, and it was like getting to see adults act like children.
I watched it in 2012 because it was new and exciting (short-lived unfortunately) but ultimately I love the way people work and conflicts arise and are settled. I don't know, the whole social experiment part of it is a major draw card. Oh and I used to love when it was like event television and it felt like the whole country was watching, now it just seems like no one would openly admit they enjoy the show to other people.

After a stressful day at work it really relaxes me and I think I will improve my English by listening native speakers.

13 when it started....

But I returned to it as an adult as I was in Uni with no money so it was cheap entertainment, and now doing shift work I have no social life, so I guess I am living it vicariously though BB. I just sucks that the patient's tv never have it on and I have been having to catch up online. Boo-urns.

I love this question. My reason is similar to others, although it's also one of the very things that Big Brother today isn't totally about anymore.

I am completely fascinated in the social aspect of the show and by observing people. One of my absolute favourite things about Big Brother is this "social experiment" angle and having the ability to watch these people in this isolated environment - seeing how humans with different personalities live together and how they interact and react.

It's also interesting to see just how similar (and dissimilar) we really are to one another and how we can all relate, sometimes without even realising it.

So, the human interaction is mainly what I watch Big Brother for, which is also why it shits me how heavily edited today's version of BB is because we honestly don't get to see as much of that stuff anymore. For example, on Launch night we saw virtually nothing of the HM's first meeting and greeting each other - this, to me, is one of the most vital few hours of the entire Big Brother experience. Seeing people converse and meet each other for the very first time and seeing how they interact with one another, form first impressions and the way they use their body language is a very fascinating thing to witness.

The psychological aspect of the show that has been lost through the years was another positive side that I was constantly drawn to - hearing an expert's opinion on why certain HM's say and do things, etc.

It's a shame that the entertainment value of Big Brother has outweighed the psychological side nowadays, to be honest.

I agree with you!

I enjoy 'meeting' all these different types of people that I would NEVER meet in my everyday life. The way people behave and see the world really fascinates me.

I love it when housemates are manipulated into doing things that they think that they would never do. Love it when BB makes them do crazy stuff - like the Sugar Sisters multiple spray tans (even if it was a copy of the UK idea)

Its escapism!!!

Back