Skip to main content

Who is your favourite Doctor Who Companion?

When I was 10-ish I so badly wanted to be Leela, complete with bad manners and a knife.
Will have to think about who is my favourite companion now though.
For a while I thought it was Donna, but now maybe Clara?
Hmmm. You ask tough questions BigBrotherCritic.

Leela, oh Leela - it was Leela that got me into Doctor Who.
OMG I loved her.

A lot of the companions shit me, the vapid secretary types - all of them, ick.
I didn't like Sarah Jane much first time around either....prissy or something.

Leela the wild savage was awesome. She is my favourite Old DW companion.
The time lord ladies were ok.

Nuwho
It is between, Catherine Tate & Rose, Clara may overtake either, maybe.
Oh but then there are others, I love them all.

I think number one is Catherine Tate, it was such an awesome journey with her, and Wilf and the Mum, and so sad an end.
Such an incredible impact she made in such a short time.
And, this series has moments of such magic, perfection in some parts.
The adipose ep, where they meet again is sublime.

Rose, the Doctor/Rose story was so much fun, so perfect a pairing.
And then so epic, a love story for the ages - with no real resolution, what the hell happens with that other doctor
Apparently Russell considered doing a spin off about that other dimension.

And of course, Captain Jack is delicious.

I also love Mickey and Wilf so, so much.
And Sarah Jane, 2nd time around I adore, watched all of her shows.
'
And I now miss producer Russell TD, and his feverish Doctor empire building - all the spin offs from his era, gone now:(

I was pondering this when you asked the original question. Very difficult but I love red heads so Karen Gillan I also like Jenna Coleman & of course the beautiful Billy Piper
Billy was making. "Secret Diary of a call girli" at the same time she was on Dr Who, could hardly be a more opposite role :smuggrin:
I'm sure there are many many others but these three stick in my mind with out looking them all up on wiki
cheers

I did a list. I've only included only those who (i) were TV companions (so none from the novels, comic strips or audios, (ii) were played by a human (so no K9 or Kamelion), (iii) appeared in more than one story (so no Astrid Peth, Lady Christina etc, but with the exception of Katarina because she has always been counted as a companion), (iv) weren't companions but recurring friends (so no River Song, Brigadier, Benton, Yates, Wildred Mott etc).

37 Katarina
36 Adam Mitchell
35 Grace Holloway
34 Dodo Chaplet
33 Sara Kingdom
32 Vicki
31 Melanie Bush
30 Steven Taylor
29 Zoe Heriot
28 Captain Jack Harkness
27 Adric
26 Romana I
25 Victoria Waterfield
24 Mickey Smith
23 Susan Foreman
22 Ben Jackson
21 Harry Sullivan
20 Polly
19 Ian Chesterton
18 Jamie McCrimmon
17 Peri Brown
16 Turlough
15 Liz Shaw
14 Nyssa
13 Rory Williams
12 Barbara Wright
11 Ace
10 Martha Jones
09 Jo Grant
08 Clara Oswald
07 Rose Tyler
06 Amy Pond
05 Donna Noble
04 Tegan Jovanka
03 Leela
02 Romana II
01 Sarah Jane Smith

...firstly... thanks for the list of companions Meglos... that saves a lot of messing around for the rest of us my friend... much appreciated ...

...well here's my list on at least my top 20 of companions of all time and my thoughts on them as I remember them...

1. Donna Noble... THE BEST EVER!!!!!... funny/intelligent/amazing range of emotions/ best actress ever!...
2. Rose Tyler... so pretty/inquisitive/sassy/caring/loving/naughty... only just beaten by Donna...
3. Tegan Jovanka... (she was so hot... I loved her so much when I was growing up lol!)... independent/sexy and clever...
4. Clara Oswald...impossibly intriguing/pretty/caring/intelligent/independent and loving...
5. Sarah Jane Smith... sweet/caring/heartfelt emotions... (I so loved her more in later life than when young)...
6. Captain Jack Harkness... a definite man-crush on John Barrowman!... lol!... he's so dynamic!...
7. Susan Foreman... sweet/naive/innocent but also single minded when defending herself...
8. Barbara Wright... authoritative/strong minded/caring/curious and forceful when she needed to be...
9. Ian Chesterton... curious/strong minded/caring/too trusting/open minded and heroic...
10. Leela... fierce/strong/resourceful/amazonian but naive and too trusting...
11. Peri Brown... (a great pair of knockers on that girl)... tolerant/fiercely argumentative but loyal...
12.Romana II... cautious/intelligent/resourceful/untrusting and curious...
13. Adric... super intelligent/completely naive and too loyal to the point of death...
14. Jamie McCrimmon... fierce/strong/headstrong/not overly intelligent but loyal...
15. Micky Smith... outsider/fall guy/caring/ loyal/down trodden and under used at most times...
16. Nyssa... pretty/intelligent/logical/aloof/misunderstood/curious and resourceful...
17. Romana I... gullible/sweet/trusting/caring/helpful and easily manipulated...
18. Rory Williams... fall guy/under used/abused/loyal/loving/trusting and always treated badly by all around him...
19. Amy Pond... cold/selfish/strong willed/uncaring/egotistical/narcissistic and annoying...
20. Martha Jones... cold/boring/loyal/gullible/caring in parts but unimpressive overall...

...the rest of the companions were of no interest to me when they were on the show way back then... the only reason that I put Amy Pond and Martha Jones on the end was because they have kept the new series of Doctor Who trundling along... otherwise I wouldn't have bothered... ( a bit harsh I know)...

...I've enjoyed venting all of my thoughts on the companions BigBrotherCritic... yet another great thread started by yourself... well done!... cheers.

Interesting list Mr Sticky (and thanks for using my list, it isn't official or anything, I just made it up).
It's always interesting to compare opinions (poor Martha! But I know not many people liked her as much as I did). I have a mate who cannot stand Amy Pond, for the reasons you stated. While I can see that, to me it's not a list of "nicest people", it's a combination of character development and acting.

Interesting list Mr Sticky (and thanks for using my list, it isn't official or anything, I just made it up).
It's always interesting to compare opinions (poor Martha! But I know not many people liked her as much as I did). I have a mate who cannot stand Amy Pond, for the reasons you stated. While I can see that, to me it's not a list of "nicest people", it's a combination of character development and acting.

...it was a great list Meglos... all credit to you for doing it... well done!... I agree with you totally about the fact that it's about a combination of character development and the acting abilities... my list is based upon that very thing... hence my individual reasons after their names... I also added into the fact of who was the best individually... who they are and how they react in their own right... away from The Doctor...

...I looked at them as if... 'who I would trust and who I would be friends with'... if they actually existed in the real world and I happened to know them... (I know... a bit weird but that's me to the core lol!)... I think that Donna Noble would be a brilliant person to be friends with in the real world... the fact that Catherine Tate is such an outstanding actress in her own right makes her character so real as to be believable in true life in my opinion... I'd love to know a real Donna Noble!... lol!... so yeah my friend... that's how I compiled my thoughts on the companions... perhaps a bit strange on my part but what the hell!... lol!... cheers.

From the Reboot - Donna then Rose then Martha then Clara, and last Amy. She shat me sooooooooooo much. Here for a male or alien companion next to shake it up (pity though, I really love the Clara/Doctor chemistry at the moment).

From the Reboot - Donna then Rose then Martha then Clara, and last Amy. She shat me sooooooooooo much. Here for a male or alien companion next to shake it up (pity though, I really love the Clara/Doctor chemistry at the moment).

...yeah Mizzeerie... the rapport between Clara and The Doctor really is kicking in now isn't it?... now that The Doctor has found his feet after being 'lost' for the first 4 shows... it's really good to see this chemistry happening at last isn't it?...

...by the way... what a great name and what a brilliant Avatar!... I loved Rik Mayall and The Young Ones... they were both so ahead of their times... the show and the man!... cheers.

Romana II must be my favourite companion.

Firstly because it was great to have a female Time Lord companion (and thus be on a bit more of a level playing field intellectually with The Doctor than certain other companions), but then to have her regenerate as well...!

It was also nice to watch Tom Baker and Lalla Ward basically falling in love before our eyes; they had great chemistry. Pity their marriage didn't last too long.

Lastly, of course, I've always had a bit of a crush on her :inlove:

I can't but love the New Who Companions! My opinion of most of the Classic Who companions was that they were only there to ask questions and nothing much else (I use this term lightly and is mostly pointed at Mel!).
But without further ado, let us present the top 6 companions of Doctor Who.
6. Amy Pond
The Scottish sass didn't do it for me as a companion but she was still pretty good.
5. Rory Williams
BADASS RORY! The nervous, badass, Roman dude was AMAZING! Loved him to death!
4. Martha Jones
I love Martha, and I cannot fully understand why people dislike her. She was and still is very enjoyable to watch. I think it's the fact that she can be sarcastic and actiony (I KNOW it's not a word) at the same time!
3. Donna Noble
THEY ARE FREAKING SIGNING ABOUT HER ON AN OOD PLANET! SHE IS AMAZING! MORE SASS THAN THE NINTH DOCTOR! (Okay maybe not THAT much) I love Donna! SO lovable to watch!
2. Clara Oswald
She's the saviour and she live s/d in Lincolnshire which is where my Dad grew up :D ! I love her very dearly!

AND THE GRAND FINALIST:
1. ROSE TYLER
(Fireworks)
I truly love Rose like I love breathing. She was perfect for the Ninth Doctor (My favourite) and of course for Ten (another favourite). I loved her sass and was really sad to see her left on Darlig Ulv Stranden.

Well thats the list! Thankyou everybody for sharing your opinions! It brings me great joy in reading them. :D

Peace out!

I learned something new today. I was of the impression Rose was the fav. companion as when she does Dr Who Cosplay she "does" Rose(Ninth Dr Rose - she said I can post a pic of her fashioned as such if you want to see it). It seems however her fav. companion is Donna because she's sassy and doesn't take shit from TheDr.

...I know that she was never The Doctor's companion but she sooooooo should have been at one stage or another I believe... and that is... Sally Sparrow from the episode... 'Blink' with the introduction of 'The Weeping Angels'... I watched 'Blink' last night yet again... (probably about my 25th time to be truthful... yeah I know... I'm a sad individual aren't I?)... Carey Mulligan played Sally Sparrow... she was a brilliant actress that left an enduring impression with me at least... she had just a brief air time in the end... but she made such an impact on me with that part role in just one episode...

...here she is to refresh your mind...

CareyMulliganBlink091611-thumb-330x278-70936.jpg scariestepisodes-DoctorWho-Blink-jpg_182132.jpg

a0115117_4a64d6b54d2ea.jpg

...I can't believe that she has never been called upon to reprise that role again since 'Blink'... then again... I guess that Steve Moffatt has shied away from linking to the past in certain areas a fair bit since David Tennant left... a shame really... I believe that Sally Sparrow would've been great as a companion... well they're my thoughts anyway... cheers.

Carey Mulligan was fantastic. Unfortunately (for us), she went on to be a big star and is probably unlikely to return to DW (same as the Merlin actor).

Well, I have only seen the Reboot, so my list is rather short, haha.

1. Rose/Donna - equally my favs. I can watch their seasons over and over again.

2. Martha - She always seems so disliked but I really enjoyed her. I think it was just hard to see someone else in the companion role after Rose...

3. Clara - It took me a bit of time to warm to her, but I think she is immensely better with 12...probably because I didn't care for Matt Smith... though I think more of my problem is with the writing and less with the actress.

4. Amy and Rory - easily my least favourite. I have only seen their seasons once (aside from the Van Gogh episode, that was fantastic) as I just couldn't warm to them.

Since I don't watch classic who (not my thing) I will only do modern (female main)

1. Amy Pond.
Oh Amy. Fun/Beautiful/Smart/Sassy

2. Rose Tyler:
Rose forever a fave!
Fun/Willing/Cherpy

3.Donna Noble
Teheh
SASSY AS EVER/Funny/Unique

4. Martha Jones
Good on you for saving The Doctor
Cheering/Independent/Smart

5. Clara Oswald
Eh
(No comment)

OH IF ONLY RIVER HAD A FULL SEASON </3 The she would bemy number 1!

Back